Seneca grads to go direct entry Jazz & Mid East

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Whether or not you agree with who gets the end product, we are set up so that government pays the lion's share of education costs. Its become skewed a bit recently with grads having huge debt loads, but we, the taxpayer, pay for all the training for all the professions. If you want an MBA and a nice high salary potential at the end, it will cost you $55,000 for an executive MBA at Ottawa U. or McGill for that nice piece of parchment. You might go to a school where the building was donated by Molson or Labatts or Ho Chi Minh and you will pay a lot, but not all of what it costs.

Just because a more 'prestigious' company like Jazz(!) wants the grads makes no difference to the system. If Jazz can make money with the grads, then so can any other company.

Get over this Jazz thing - a dozen or so direct-entry pilots will not make any difference to your life, except the size of your ulcer. Go back to worrying about Al Quaida or global warming.

When times are good, as they are now (believe it or not!) why bother with Jazz? If you have enough for Jazz, go right past and go Westjet/AC, or Cathay or Singapore or....
---------- ADS -----------

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
petey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by petey »

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to companies like BA and Cathay. Fair enough, a 250 pilot can read checkilists for a jet aircraft; however, in these other parts of the world ie. Asia, there is much more demand for pilots, then there is supply. In Canada, with an abundance of "overqualified" pilots to fly for Jazz, what would be the reason? Ahh well. Good luck to these grads, just means I can skip working with them, I hear a bunch have attitudes. :lol:

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Makes no difference to me...

However.. for all you folk that are worried about this and the seniority issues and job positions.. Remember this..

When the industry tanks in 2-3-4 years from now (it's GOING to happen.. it always does.. cyclical) these guys will be laid off and are pretty much useless for any of the jobs available outside of Jazz in Canuckland. What bush or SPIFR or float operator etc. is going to hire a 1500hr right seat dash 8 or RJ kid who has no PIC??

Best of luck to the folk who go that route.. I hope it works out in the best interest of the company and their careers.

Cheers,
Rowdy

jim_from_texas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jim_from_texas »

Well the smart ones would go overseas (Asia) and get f/o and s/o spots on widebody ac. Flying for an airline with a solid and structured training as well as flying by the book(pretty much) large turboprop or rj will give them a good head start. When the times get tough bush guy will have to stick with the bush but an airline guy who is willing to stick his nose outside of Canada will have more opportunities for career advancement.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I am not so sure about the Gulf Air hiring of low-time expats. Gulf Air does hire low-time locals and does run an ab-initio scheme (for nationals of Bahrain and Oman), however, the lowest I've seen for expats is around 2000 hours TT.

As for concerns about what happens theoretically when the airline industry tanks in a few years-- well, the 1500 hour CRJ FO might be in the same unemployment line with the C-185 driver, but the CRJ FO has a seniority number and will be back before any new hires. These guys are very fortunate, they are at the right place, right time, in the industry.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Let's face it, with what Jazz pays, this would be the only way they can guarantee their new hires won't be going to WJ or mainline within the next 2 years after date of hire.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

co-joe wrote:Let's face it, with what Jazz pays, this would be the only way they can guarantee their new hires won't be going to WJ or mainline within the next 2 years after date of hire.
I don't think this guarantees anything for Jazz...

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

I think the main difference in the Middle East and Asia is the fact that they want more local talent in the pointy end of the aircraft. Most expat Captains will agree that as long as things go textbook, there is no problem. The inexperience shows when the cadets are forced outside the comfort zone resulting in helmet fire and the Captain is forced to take control.

I do agree that such programs should be self funded. Any pilot that has lived in Ontario should not have to fund their competition.

Anonymous1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anonymous1 »

What I just don't understand about all of this is why higher time pilots care about this topic at all. Why would an experienced pilot even consider quitting a turbine job to move to Toronto for $35K when they can make $50 - $60k flying a King Air around. Also, you really screw yourself for going onwards to AC by going to Jazz first as you likely won't "pass" your interview to AC. I think living in the north where you can buy a house for less than $500k and not sit in traffic for an hour beats sitting at Jazz. Some of you guys are pretty screwed up in your thinking.

Nightflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nightflight »

Anonymous1 wrote:What I just don't understand about all of this is why higher time pilots care about this topic at all. Why would an experienced pilot even consider quitting a turbine job to move to Toronto for $35K when they can make $50 - $60k flying a King Air around. Also, you really screw yourself for going onwards to AC by going to Jazz first as you likely won't "pass" your interview to AC. I think living in the north where you can buy a house for less than $500k and not sit in traffic for an hour beats sitting at Jazz. Some of you guys are pretty screwed up in your thinking.
This is getting off topic, but seeing as I started this one I'd like to take the liberty of offering a different perspective. Well you see Anonymous, it's about different strokes for different folks. Some of us actually like the big cities and the lifestyle that goes with it. I have lived up in the North and flown all over it and couldn't wait to get back to Toronto. Also there is the family part of the equation. Most of mine and my close friends are here. To put it simply, I just plain love it here and gladly accept things like traffic and the higher cost of living as the trade off. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the weekend getaway up North to cottage country, but wouldnt want to live there 24-7.
Cheers!!!

grammar boy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by grammar boy »

You guys are all full of shit:

http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/db/ ... _maxjob=21

Take note of this part:

In order to be considered for employment pilots must meet certain basic criteria:

* possess a Canadian Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL);
* have a minimum of 1,500 hours fixed wing flight experience *;
* 1,000 hours pilot in command (PIC) experience is preferred*;
* have a minimum of 500 hours multi-engine flight time*;

* Please provide a detailed breakdown of your flying experience (by equipment and type including PIC time) in a cover letter (in case you thought the asterisk stood for "unless you are a College Avaition Grad)

@#$! you guys are gullible... :roll:

Like shooting fish in a barrel this place is! :?

"Listen brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just get through this one thing and I can go back to killing you with beer"
Tui
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tui »

Either way, everyone is looking at taking lower time pilots. NAC and Wasaya have done it, why not Jazz? Everyone is re-evaluating their mins with the lack of pilots.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I heard today from a reliable source this is all rumour.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

altiplano wrote:I heard today from a reliable source this is all rumour.
Wonder why the Dircector of Flight Ops at Jazz would confirm it then?

Dark Helmet
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dark Helmet »

grammar boy wrote:You guys are all full of shit:

http://jobs.workopolis.com/jobshome/db/ ... _maxjob=21

Take note of this part:

In order to be considered for employment pilots must meet certain basic criteria:

* possess a Canadian Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL);
* have a minimum of 1,500 hours fixed wing flight experience *;
* 1,000 hours pilot in command (PIC) experience is preferred*;
* have a minimum of 500 hours multi-engine flight time*;

* Please provide a detailed breakdown of your flying experience (by equipment and type including PIC time) in a cover letter (in case you thought the asterisk stood for "unless you are a College Avaition Grad)

@#$! you guys are gullible... :roll:

Like shooting fish in a barrel this place is! :?

You won't find it on the Jazz website. The news is posted on the Jazz Ops. website. It is a password protected website that only Jazz pilots have access to.

Bottom line, It is not 100% official, but they are seriously looking at it. And most likely it will happen based on what was posted on the flt ops site.

Now as far as who is funding this........who knows. IMO I can imagine there will some taxpayers money involved. Think, if Jazz can afford to fund this, they can afford to pay their pilot better. If they can afford to pay their pilots better, many would stay. If their pilots stay, there would not be a need to bring 200 hours pilots who won't be able to jump ship in the first place.

canpropjock
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seneca Candidates for Jazz

Post by canpropjock »

Everybody,

It is a hot issue and yes it's true, I was in CYKZ not too long ago and that's all I heard. Now it's true, automation, does make the CRJ Safer, and yes a 200 hour guy can probably handle the normal day to day operation. However I have worked on CRJ's A320's A340's B767's for AC and when something goes wrong in those cockpits they really go wrong, the experience and good decision making that comes from years of flying crap has no substitute. We only need look to some of our asian operators, where in a lot of cases they fly highly automated aircraft into the ground. It is more common than we hear about ... do the research. Ofcourse this won't change Jazz's corporate hiring practices, for a lot of reasons mentioned on this thread alone (some very good points I might add) but it can change the way we think as hard working pilots. Do we, after years of sacrifice, flying crap, flying into gravel 2500 ft strips, at night! want to take a pay cut from a Turbine Command Job to eat KD with Ketchup in CYYZ to work for a flag carrier that doesn't respect the journey you've taken to get where you are? Maybe Yes Maybe No, I'm just saying think about it, there are other avenues, and sometimes way better avenues than Jazz or AC.

Cheers

kurtis1981
Rank 0
Rank 0

What's going on

Post by kurtis1981 »

Why doesn't someone go public with this shit. Let the whole population know what Jazz is doing, hiring fresh commercial pilots to fly RJ's. Everyone would freak out, not fly Jazz anymore with these low timers. Maybe it would turn things around?? what do you think?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

What is the big deal? With proper training, a 200hr pilot will do just fine as an FO...as long as he is with an experienced captain...
Stop making such a fuss...as the pilot shortage worsens, this kind of thing will be standard, and maybe it will raise the quality of life and the salary of the experienced guys.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

spartacus wrote:Unfortuantely that is not my problem, KWIM?
A for profit company should not have it's training subsidised by the gov. Either Jazz can fund them, or the students end up paying for it all, much like in the US.
Why not? All companies who require a university degree have training subsidized by the government. You want to be a Lawyer? Guess what? It's subsidized. Financial type? Subsidized. IT technical or management? yep, you guessed it...subsidized. Carpenter? yep. Plumber? yep. Artist? yep. Accountant? Pharmacist? Chemist? Engineer? The list goes on. And they are funded to the tune of 10's of thousands of $$ per year. And it doesn't matter whether the trade or skill is in demand or not. It is subsidized.

ps...i am in no way saying i support the government subsidies over there, ....just making a point.

saucer_driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by saucer_driver »

[quote]Why doesn't someone go public with this shit. Let the whole population know what Jazz is doing, hiring fresh commercial pilots to fly RJ's. Everyone would freak out, not fly Jazz anymore with these low timers. Maybe it would turn things around?? what do you think?[/quote]

Lots of other countries do this, its not new. I feel better on Jazz with seneca guy then i do on some asian ariline where all the pilots were trained this way...

Return to “Employment Forum”