UN?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

UN?

Post by LT »

Has/is anyone working for the UN???

Any info on the requirments and how you go about applying??

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Mo Noney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mo Noney »

I could be wrong, but I don't think the UN has any pilots perminantly on their books. I think you will find that when ever the need arrises, they tend to ask for 'donations' of aircraft from various airforces around the world for a month or two at a stretch.

These A/C are then painted white with the UN logos, and the crews get a nice light blue baseball cap with a badge on. After the the emergency is over, the plane is re-sprayed with it's war paint, and returnes to where ever it came from.

Like I said, someone out there probably knows better, but I think that's the case. Sounds like an interesting job though!

permateacher
Rank 2
Rank 2

UN

Post by permateacher »

Hi,

I went through that process a few years ago. We initially spoke to a recruitment manager for standard overseas missions with the UN. They said they were looking for aviation people, and had us go down to Montreal at IATA for a few interviews. They said if those went well we'd go down to New York for a final interview. We got information packages on what life overseas was like and the whole deal. It turns out that the requirement of which they were speaking was for flight department managers. No one was talking to each other and somehow 3 of us, all 1000 hr wonders was able to go pretty far up the chain for no good reason. The UN does all their aviation work by contract either my military or civilian contractors. Most of these contractors are local, and UN people are brought in to help manage the operation (hence the requiement from before). If you want in, you can apply to the foreign carrier but we all know how much of a crap shoot that would be. ANother option is to take the UN job to make contacts... and some good money too. It's like 52 grand a year plus expences for a one year contract US! And the best part is that the UN is so disorganized when it comes to that stuff that any guy could probably talk their way to New York for a final interview... just like we did!

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

lol.. Sounds like a good fall back plan.. =)

But for now, which companies do the UN missions??

I was just talking with someone the other day, who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone that's flying Caravans down in Africa for the UN..

Thanks for past and future answers.

mculshaw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mculshaw »

I think on the Skylink website
it mentions something about UN work.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Borek used to do quite a bit of UN work, maybe still do. Other Western companies are/were Zimex (out of Switzerland), Schreiner (out of Holland) and a South African company (Forgot the name), that runs Beech 200's and F-28's in and out of Afghanistan and Iraq.
Quite a lot (esp. helicopters) is being done by companies out of the former USSR .
Also a lot of the agencies of the UN do their own contracting (that is companies) such as WHO, WFP, UNCHR etc.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

yep...lots of contractors provide services for UN. There is a big south arfican operator that does a lot of UN work, so you would have to apply to them and then you may end up flying a UN contract, or you may get put on the Red Cross contract, or whatever. (assuming they would hire you).
Rossair in South Africa is the sole provider for the Red Cross in Africa. NOt sure about their connections to the UN, though.

I did run into a canadian pilot flying UN work, but i didn't find out what company she was working for, or where the company was based...might have been Zimex...not sure though.

As W5 said, there is a large Ukrainian presence in the UN flying Mi-8's, Mi26's and Mi24's. (helicopters). the Mi-26 is something to behold, let me tell you! and The Mi-24 (hind) is a fairly mean looking gunship!

-wp

Return to “Employment Forum”