Entry Level Pilot Dilemma

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Stander
Rank 1
Rank 1

Entry Level Pilot Dilemma

Post by Stander »

Hello Fellow Pilots,
I'm a new member to the AVCANADA Forum.
I've read previous comments within and I'm glad to hear the wealth of knowledge and advice offered by a variety pilots in all fields.
My situation is this.
I've noticed that this is a great time to be a entry level pilot.
The employment pages ont this site seems to be filled with a number of new positions.
I have obtained a commercial licence, 310 flight hours and a Float rating.
With this window of employment opportunities currently open, should one venture into the aviation workforce with what they have;
Or should one finish their Multi or Single IFR rating, which may take a couple of months and take the chance of missing out on these great opportunities???

Do companies still have the same interest in pilot candidates if the Multi or Single IFR rating has not been achieved?
Any information you provide will be much appreciated.
Thank you. :)
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

A multi shouldn't take months - week? Ifr a bit more, but do them together. If you have the exams (weekend cram course), write exam, fly fly fly. Then get a job. You should be minted and on the bricks in three weeks!

Am I correct?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Goose757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Goose757 »

With a float rating, I would jump at one of the float jobs posted here. Try to find a company that isn't just a float operator, then worry about your multi-IFR at the end of the season. But like the other guy said, if you want to get it done now, you should be able to polish it off pretty quick. I don't see the point right now though, floats is the place to be, lots of postings, good money the industry is hurting for float guys.

Stander
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stander »

Are there any recommended flying clubs that one could attend to achieve their rating (Multi IFR) within a week or so? I'm willing to relocate to complete this rating.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

Four of us just did our MIFR at Cornwall Aviation. They have a handful of instructors, two twins and an examiner on staff. We all managed to get done in two weeks. I highly recommend them if you want to get the training done quick and for an affordable price.

They'll also arrange for room and board too (we paid $25 per day and it was worth every penny).

Ronner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ronner »

Cornwall for sure. Glen will get you done right, and they have 2 twins both with Garmin 430s.

Jet Dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jet Dog »

go floats man, with multi ifr job, if u get it, still may end up on a single wheel job, either case you'll be paid what the operator finds in his couch cushions. Work the dock for a year and get some flying in at the end of the season, ramp work elsewhere will fetch you 1-2 yrs with no flying. Pay is better on floats, and the type of flying demands skills. With a few yrs on floats you'll have plenty of opporunties (ie then go for a multi job, go to a water bombing gig, or remain on what your doing.

Why pay more (for a rating) for less $$

Return to “Employment Forum”