Perimeter

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CYQT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Perimeter

Post by CYQT »

On the Perimeter aviation website it lists a requirment of 250 hours for the first officer position. Do they actually hire pilots with this experience? what are the realistic requirements. thanks.

... but then again if i dont get in at perimeter, with 250 hours im more than qualified for jazz. :D
---------- ADS -----------

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

If you have 250hrs, you'll go onto the ramp. Current ramp time is probably 18-24 months. It varies so it's difficult to say exactly.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
Captain Crunch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Captain Crunch »

250 for the ramp? wtf...
who would do that?
thats bullshit
where has that ever got anyone?

dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

What kind of time do they want to see for direct entry FOs?

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Into the left seat of a multi-turbine.

My understanding is everyone goes on the ramp... Maybe if you showed up with a PPC and more time you could go DEFO. C-HRIS knows better than me for sure though.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

dangerous wrote:What kind of time do they want to see for direct entry FOs?
We have hired quite a few DEFO recently, all having around 1200-1500+hrs with operational experience, ranging from floats, navajos, pc12. It looks like we are stopping this for now though, as the last groundschool was all rampies. But I don't know for sure. It doesn't hurt to send in a resume and see if we are still hiring.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
CYQT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CYQT »

so are the chances of being hired on the ramp with 250 hours pretty slim?

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

so are the chances of being hired on the ramp with 250 hours pretty slim?
No you would probably get a ramp job at 250hrs then wait about 2 years + (think the # 1 is around 25 months these days). Then you get a shot at right seat, but first you have to please your ramp supervisor and pass and interview to get the nod to go right seat.

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

The images I get when reading this thread are going to give me nightmares tonight...

:smt109
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Captain Crunch wrote:250 for the ramp? wtf...
who would do that?
thats bullshit

umm....a flying position

who would do that? well, i did...and i dont regret it. other than dealing with winter weather i'm in the best possible position for a low timer.

well, not so low anymore

sakism
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sakism »

With the industry the way it is right now, intentionally getting yourself into a 2 year gig on the ramp is absoulutely ludicrous.

My company has hired at least five people with 250 hours in the last 4 months for a right seat gig.

Mind you, they missed out on the Metro and exotic destinations like Shamattawa.....

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

sakism wrote:With the industry the way it is right now, intentionally getting yourself into a 2 year gig on the ramp is absoulutely ludicrous.

My company has hired at least five people with 250 hours in the last 4 months for a right seat gig.

Mind you, they missed out on the Metro and exotic destinations like Shamattawa.....
Okay but not every 250 guy is gauranteed a spot with companies like yours or mine...

So in the mean time, go work the ramp...and keep looking while you're on the ramp. at least that way, if you dont find anything 4 months in, you're still 4 months closer to a seat, as opposed to not being any closer by NOT workin the ramp

I dont know why its so difficult for people to understand that.

I see so many people say "@#$! the ramp" because there are SOOO many jobs for 250 hour pilots these days. There isn't ALL that many. And there are more 250 hours guys than there are 250 hr jobs.

Do the math guys...and use some common sense. As I already said, work the ramp if you cant find a direct entry job, doesn't mean you cant look while you're working.

Anyways, good luck in your searches 250 hour guys...

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

So in the mean time, go work the ramp...and keep looking while you're on the ramp.
Excellent advice. I have already seen this tactic work for several guys. They got a ramp job, with a timeline of around 18 months to right seat, and looked around (and kept in touch with former classmates) in the meantime. They ended up getting a direct right seat in a different company in less than six months. I guess the only down side would be, if you could work a more profitable part time job to pay down the debt instead of working the ramp before going right seat.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

As some people say, it's easier to find a job when you don't need one...

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

thats how i got a seat...

i worked the ramp for one company for 8 months...then got hired to fly for another company...

synthpro
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by synthpro »

Here's the deal...

Working the ramp is a complete waist. It gains you very little knowledge in the industry, its extremely hard work... the thought of doing it for two years... is completely dumb finding.

For all you low time guys... I'm telling you... don't waist your time in this gig... not during these times. You are Pilots... not Blue Collars. Promises are just that... promises nothing more. Imagine you bust your ass for 1 year... and than boom... you get in an argument with one of the new Bosses.... Or another 911 happens and the industry goes to shit. Imagine???.... Shit happens... so you gotta cover your bases.

Perimeter, Air Tindi, Air Inuit, Wassaya... these are all great company's... bur waaaaaaay too big for a 250 hour time guy. So dont bother.

If I was you... I'd be looking at the smaller companies. ., Max Air, Aero Pro (Quebec Comapanies). FNT (Manitoba... even though its a shitty company), Slave Aviation, this small Athabasca outfit I went to visit a year ago (both in Alberta) and a gazillion other small outfits like that.

They hire 200 hour guys all the time. But they aren't organized enough to keep your resumes on file... so for these small outfits, its really good to show up in person.

So all this to say.... dont waist too much of your time with the mid size outfits... its the even smaller ones you have to target.

Laterz....

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

synthpro wrote:Here's the deal...

Working the ramp is a complete waist. It gains you very little knowledge in the industry, its extremely hard work... the thought of doing it for two years... is completely dumb finding.
For all you low time guys... I'm telling you... don't waist your time in this gig... not during these times. You are Pilots... not Blue Collars. Promises are just that... promises nothing more. Imagine you bust your ass for 1 year... and than boom... you get in an argument with one of the new Bosses.... Or another 911 happens and the industry goes to shit. Imagine???.... Shit happens... so you gotta cover your bases.

Perimeter, Air Tindi, Air Inuit, Wassaya... these are all great company's... bur waaaaaaay too big for a 250 hour time guy. So dont bother.

If I was you... I'd be looking at the smaller companies. ., Max Air, Aero Pro (Quebec Comapanies). FNT (Manitoba... even though its a shitty company), Slave Aviation, this small Athabasca outfit I went to visit a year ago (both in Alberta) and a gazillion other small outfits like that.

They hire 200 hour guys all the time. But they aren't organized enough to keep your resumes on file... so for these small outfits, its really good to show up in person.

So all this to say.... dont waist too much of your time with the mid size outfits... its the even smaller ones you have to target.

Laterz....

*sigh*

please read my last 2 posts.....

rex sterling
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rex sterling »

flying for dollars.....some people just don't get it. 250 hours is not a lot of time. Gotta get your feet wet somehow!

Synthpro, you listed off some great companies there...but you know what...all of their pilots are blue collar....and all started on the ramp!

Schlem
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Schlem »

Obviously, synthro has no clue about how this industry works.

ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

Synthro, your the man... :shock:

Return to “Employment Forum”