Cariboo or Sunwest for the Ramp ?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

canada av
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cariboo or Sunwest for the Ramp ?

Post by canada av »

I am a new 260 hour pilot with a Multi IFR thats good for another 17 months. I got a choice right now to work on the ramp for Cariboo or Sunwest outta Calgary for both. Who do I pick, ramp time is 1 or 2 years they both say.
---------- ADS -----------

Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

Take the ramp at Sunwest. They currently have some of their rampies working both the ramp and getting on part-time on the Navajo Cargo ops.

Also look where you want to be in 5 years. Sunwest has jets while NCA doesn't anymore. It's hard to get PIC time with both companies due to Contrails/Customer requirements, but you have a better chance with the bag-run.

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

Mach .28 wrote:Take the ramp at Sunwest. They currently have some of their rampies working both the ramp and getting on part-time on the Navajo Cargo ops.

Also look where you want to be in 5 years. Sunwest has jets while NCA doesn't anymore. It's hard to get PIC time with both companies due to Contrails/Customer requirements, but you have a better chance with the bag-run.
Cariboo has a hawker still, for the time being and Cariboo has 4 soon to be 5 dash-8s...plenty of room for a good career here.

That being said, stay away from the ramp here, you'll be sitting for 2 years and then fly 500 hours a year or so, this is not the place for a low timer. Head North or go part time fly at sunwest.

Cheers

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

ive heard from more than several people (past and present employees too) that Sunwest does NOT hire from the ramp (well not with 250hrs anyways)

can anyone confirm this?

guess you could always call them

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Never could figure how a MIFR could be good for another 17 months, but either way, Keep looking. I'd stay well away from a ramp. You've spent, what, thirty grand? Get a flying job. Keep pounding on doors till you find one. Got floats? I find a MIFR pretty much money down the shitter with 250 hours, but there are jobs out there....forget the ramp. Many will disagree with me, but working a ramp for 2 years will net you ZERO flight time. You'll still have 260 hours....and your MIFR will be all gone.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

I'm with Doc, find yourself a seat, this ain't the 90's.

stl

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Can't fly floats in the winter! Unless you've got over 1k and wanna be a coastie.

But good advice from all.

tiny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiny »

Cariboo got rid of their citations??

Fresh Prince of King Air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Fresh Prince of King Air »

They were managed. One decided to sell the other took his business over to Morgan Air.

Morav
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Morav »

I'd say take the job at Sunwest, from what I hear they pay pretty good. While there continue to look for flying positions elsewhere. Things will begin to pop up come spring, and by then you should have a good idea if sunwest will throw you in a seat or not.

canada av
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canada av »

ya thats kinda my plan

Return to “Employment Forum”