A, B , C or D....TOO INstruct or NOT TOO INSTRUCT..hmmmm???

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

oneill10999
Rank 1
Rank 1

A, B , C or D....TOO INstruct or NOT TOO INSTRUCT..hmmmm???

Post by oneill10999 »

Hello everyone!

Once again, i require the wisdom of the experts who have lived it, smelt it, and breathed it.

Upon completion of your Commercial, Multi, IFR (1)....

Do the boys suggest......

A) Apply for a regional (ie. PE air, Provincial ,etc etc)... Work the ramp/dispatch for a year.... and wait for the go ahead on the right seat??? and start working the longg longggg hours..... to build time... and get paid nothing while in dispatch and right seat... and potentially even captain.

B) Cough up another $9000 for class 4 instuructor rating(above and beyong the 50,000$ already spent), get 500 PIC on single engine instructing .... Then get my class 3 instructor...and get another 500 PIC time on MULTI, and then start throwing out my resumes to regionals in hopes of getting in the right seat this way.... And by doing this, at least i get to keep flying, and not stop for a year , while on the ramp.

C) Move up North, Start flying immediately, on whatever i can get.... put 500 hrs PIC in on whatever aircraft im flying, and start throwing resumes again, with hopes of advancing aircraft type.... ORRR....

D) Should i set an aircraft type limit for moving North, ie.. Say to myself, I will not move North unless i get on with a company who has a Piper Navajo type aircraft or better.

I heard That unless I can get on a piper Navajo type aircraft or better up North, then I am better staying on the east coast, working Ramp, and getting on a right seat with a regional a year later (and to even choose this over the instructing route).... because here on the east coast you are faced with every type of flying condition, Snow, sleet, rain, foggggggg etc etc.... This is only what i was told... So please dont get angry with me...

SO... A, B , C, or D..... Thats the 4 paths that lie ahead.... Now we need to walk down one... The question is.... Which one????

Cheers Everyone.. ;)
Sincerely, thanks again for sharing your wisdom... Because if you have it (wisdom of the airline industry) Than you know how important it is, and, was , when you first started out....

Thanks Again :)
---------- ADS -----------

Derek :)
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: A, B , C or D....TOO INstruct or NOT TOO INSTRUCT..hmmmm???

Post by flying4dollars »

oneill10999 wrote:Hello everyone!

Once again, i require the wisdom of the experts who have lived it, smelt it, and breathed it.

Upon completion of your Commercial, Multi, IFR (1)....

Do the boys suggest......

A) Apply for a regional (ie. PE air, Provincial ,etc etc)... Work the ramp/dispatch for a year.... and wait for the go ahead on the right seat??? and start working the longg longggg hours..... to build time... and get paid nothing while in dispatch and right seat... and potentially even captain.

B) Cough up another $9000 for class 4 instuructor rating(above and beyong the 50,000$ already spent), get 500 PIC on single engine instructing .... Then get my class 3 instructor...and get another 500 PIC time on MULTI, and then start throwing out my resumes to regionals in hopes of getting in the right seat this way.... And by doing this, at least i get to keep flying, and not stop for a year , while on the ramp.

C) Move up North, Start flying immediately, on whatever i can get.... put 500 hrs PIC in on whatever aircraft im flying, and start throwing resumes again, with hopes of advancing aircraft type.... ORRR....

D) Should i set an aircraft type limit for moving North, ie.. Say to myself, I will not move North unless i get on with a company who has a Piper Navajo type aircraft or better.

I heard That unless I can get on a piper Navajo type aircraft or better up North, then I am better staying on the east coast, working Ramp, and getting on a right seat with a regional a year later (and to even choose this over the instructing route).... because here on the east coast you are faced with every type of flying condition, Snow, sleet, rain, foggggggg etc etc.... This is only what i was told... So please dont get angry with me...

SO... A, B , C, or D..... Thats the 4 paths that lie ahead.... Now we need to walk down one... The question is.... Which one????

Cheers Everyone.. ;)
Sincerely, thanks again for sharing your wisdom... Because if you have it (wisdom of the airline industry) Than you know how important it is, and, was , when you first started out....

Thanks Again :)

this is a question only you can really answer...

one piece of advice, don't choose to be an instructor JUST to fast track to the airlines. Be in instructor if you really have it in you to teach. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to the student who learns from you, to be learning from someone who's in it, to get out of it.

Know what I mean?

good luck choosing

psst...go north..

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

I live and work "up north" Nobody is walking in and flying. The ramp is still more often than not the way things work up here. I know that some will tell you that you should turn down any job that is not direct entry. I get dozens of resumes from 200hr pilots every week looking for an "entry level position". You could try and give the Chief Pilot an unltimatum but just remember, if I get dozens of resumes from newbies willing to work the ramp. There is a good chance other operators are getting them as well.
With the economy heading south again, just be sure that when the music stops you have a seat.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

A) no. 2 years to have a shitty pay and low hours doesn't worth it and... are you not a pro pilot ?

B) yes. you'll get more things about flying when trying to explain to others, it'll be your first flying job, your students are going to be good friends or best enemies, you'll get paid. but dont do it too long on c150. that instructing experience can lead you to be part of the training in a third level company and show your involvement and later instruct in various places like CAE, flightsafety, or even line captain when you'll have lots of hours and experience.

C) no hope, but we never know everything can happen

D)what kind of flying do you wanna do ? I've been told it can be really hard to land a 206 properly upnorth...

hope this helps

Severe Clear
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Severe Clear »

Don't teach unless you really want too. Or else you will be wasting yours and the student’s time. Plus Despite what people may say about instructing, how "Really valuable" is an ATPL when its done on a 150! If I were looking at 2 resumes, John smith is ATPL rated and 1500 hours all PIC time on a 150, or Bob Smith is not ATPL rated at 1500 hours, only 200 PIC but the rest is Multi Engine Turbine. Bob smith is going to learn to fly a Dash 8 much quicker with all the 2 crew experience, SOP's, bad weather experience ect...

Who really cares if it takes an extra 500 to 1000 hours to get an ATPL. Get out of dodge and get into a Twin otter or a King Air as the first job. Then maybe fly a Navajo on the side to build up the PIC time. You don't need to spend 1500 hours in the circuit and doing slow flight every day to get your ATPL....

Just my 2 cents...

RADIALRUNNER
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RADIALRUNNER »

I might be sorta partial, but I would say pack your bags and put the compass on N. In my opinion, the north is still the best way to break into a successful aviation career. The experience and knowledge you aquire north of 60 is unparalelled to any other entry level job. The flying in the summer is amazing, and somewhat of a vacation. In the winter, you'll learn that heat is the most valuable tool you have. Although there are lessons to learned from intructing, you cant tell me that many intructors have had to herman their engines at -50 to go fly circuits. If you come up here and spend a couple years and head back down south with 1000-1500 hrs under your belt(or more if you're aiming a little higher), you'll be set. Don't be afraid to work the ramp. If an employer asks you if your willing to work the the ramp, it's not that they dont want you to fly their machines, it's all to find out what kind of a person you really are. They want to see what your work ethic is like, can you take a little constructive criticism, are you willing to that extra hour or two to finish a job or do run home at 5. These are the type of things that can't be learned from a single meeting. Most of it's a test, so just work your ass off for a few months and show them that you're worth their time.

I would head north and of course, find a flying job if you can, but if you can't- dont be affraid to work for your check out.
There are lots of amazing flying jobs up here- they're just not handed out easily.

"It's hard to hoot with the owls at night then soar with the eagles by day, isn't it!"

"Don't worry, she'll fly on 3 just fine but if we lose one more we'll be a little screwed"
petey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by petey »

you cant tell me that many intructors have had to herman their engines at -50 to go fly circuits.
I should hope not! Probably not a good idea to make constant power changes in a little piston aircraft at -50! Any pilot should be able to figure that out! :?

Duncan Idaho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Instructing should not and is not about a quick route to build time. But hey people do it, and they're bad instructors, but who cares right they build some time. Don't worry about your students and all the times they go out solo with no idea what they're doing, you'll probably be on a real airplane once they eventually crash.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Of course if they paid instructors a decent amount then maybe they wouldn't be looking to get out of it as quickly as possible, and take more pride in their work. I do the best job I can, but it gets REAL hard to give a damn when you can't even break even. The overnight shift they have me on tonight isn't helping my mood any either. Of course they don't pay me as an instructor to sit here and authorize students to fly and keep an eye on them I get paid as a dispatcher (roughly half).

Duncan Idaho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Being a low time pilot ENTAILS being a low PAID pilot. That's the reality of the industry that we all know, at least in Canada we don't have to pay for our own PPCs. But being low paid does not justify a lackidaisical effort, you're a COMMERCIAL pilot, your CUSTOMERS pay you because they TRUST you regardless of what your take-home is. That trust deserves some recognition too.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Like I said I am always professional and do the best job I can at work. Just don't expect me to stay around long term with what you are paying me.

Duncan Idaho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Rrrrrrrrroger. Just making a general point, it's not directed at you personally.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

no prob, I've been up for 21 hours i get off in 3 more hours and have a 1.5 hour drive home. I'm running on a severely depleted fuse

Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

I always blame my poor landings on the fact that I make Peanuts, if I made good money, what could I blame it on???

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

There's always the plane and transfered stupidity from the student :mrgreen:

VeRmiLLioN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by VeRmiLLioN »

C

Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

But hey people do it, and they're bad instructors, but who cares right they build some time. Don't worry about your students and all the times they go out solo with no idea what they're doing, you'll probably be on a real airplane once they eventually crash.
naughty
what do you do with the private who just bought his Mooney and wants to play @FL100 in Terminal or do spin @ FL 22o because his AC can climb this alt and did not even thought about O2... have not even checked the POH to see if it is ceritified, don't repeat his registration when receiving an instruction and doesn't want to know why the black knob commanding the prop is for.
and then he tell you he wants his IFR..... :shock: ....

In 1 flight this guy ruined all he was suppose to do and learn from his private.
some instructors care

oneill10999
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oneill10999 »

So the general feeling im getting here.... is that .... Instructing is NOT the way too go if i want to break into Multi IFR time building as quickly as possibe (ie make Myself a valuable pilot to companies in the air industry/ advance faster). It seems to me, that the general consensus is to move north, work for a company that has lots of multi engine aircraft and try to get on with them so i can start building my multi IFR time...

Is this the Consensus?
Cheers ;)

Derek :)
scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

in this concensus you forget 2 years on the ramp, it might be more with this great economic situation
in a busy school you can be in the twin in less than 1 year...

Duncan Idaho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Here's a thought. You got into flying because you like it. Why not try to enjoy it? Time building means f all for someone in this business for the long-haul, you'll get to point B eventually, scheming your best to make it a few months earlier is not really going to make much difference. And then once you're where you want to be you'll be looking back and telling stories on where you started. What I'm trying to give you is a little perspective, you don't have a gun to your head to bank as much time as possible, a pilot is a pilot is a pilot. Try to do something that you can have some passion for NOW, and the people you're working with and working for will respect you for it. Which, as it turns out, will help you go further in your career. But the people you'll meet in the industry know the industry, and they know pilots. If you're trying to work them to get to the point where you can blow them off for something bigger and noisier, it'll be totally obvious. No one wants to work with someone like that.

Return to “Employment Forum”