Flying in USA

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Boeing boy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Flying in USA

Post by Boeing boy »

After finishing my flight trainign and university in Ontario (Canada), is there any way (and how) I would be able to fly in the United States for a regional airline if hired. This is in about four years from now.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Flying in USA

Post by AuxBatOn »

Are you American or do you have a Green Card?

Going for the deck at corner
Boeing boy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boeing boy »

I'm not American nor do I have a green card.

Ronner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ronner »

Try the SEARCH function. NO you cant do it unless u get hitched have dual a green card or an HB1 or 2 Visa. no airline will sponsor you either. Maybe one day but as for now.........

Boeing boy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boeing boy »

Thanks for the feedback guys. For some reason I don't have much hope for WestJet, Skyservice, Air Transat or Air Canada in the next few years.

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

To confirm what was already posted, if you do not have the legal right to work in the USA (citizenship, green card, work permit, etc.) then you have zero chance of working for a US regional airline.

Embraer190
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Embraer190 »

I know that most connector airlines in the US hire people with 250 hours (which is probably why you want to go down there). It is very tempting to start off flying for a connector airline, but it's unrealistic. You should finish your degree and get a job as an instructor or bush pilot IN CANADA. Who knows, if you're lucky you might even get hired at Jazz right out of school, it has been done before, but don't count on it. The point is, if you're not willing to do things that you might not enjoy and do it with a smile, you might want to rethink your career choice.

EMJ190

Colibri
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Colibri »

For some reason I don't have much hope for WestJet, Skyservice, Air Transat or Air Canada in the next few years.
Why not? The US carriers aren't exactly in a good position themselves right now...

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

No airline or air carrier in USA will sponsor a pilot. If you do not have a green card or parents/siblings that are American, you're only two chances of getting a green card is the lottery or marrying an american otherwise there is 0 chance. Even those with siblings or parents that are in the states and want to get sponsored is a long process sometimes taking more than 15 years.

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

Boeing boy wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. For some reason I don't have much hope for WestJet, Skyservice, Air Transat or Air Canada in the next few years.
What's the rush anyway?

FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FastFlyBy »

Out of curiosity, what is the general opinion. Given the current state of affairs in Canada and the US, If you had your choice (had a green card or dual citizenship) who would prefer to get a job in the US and who would prefer to stay and fly in Canada?
This is considering job availability, pay, economy, ect, basically everything.

I actually have the option, I married a dual citizen but have not yet made any change to my own status.

Marriage: So far so good. 1 year down, 25-life to go.
Embraer190
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Embraer190 »

FastFlyBy wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the general opinion. Given the current state of affairs in Canada and the US, If you had your choice (had a green card or dual citizenship) who would prefer to get a job in the US and who would prefer to stay and fly in Canada?
This is considering job availability, pay, economy, ect, basically everything.

I actually have the option, I married a dual citizen but have not yet made any change to my own status.
That's a no brainer - :Canada:

In my opinion, American aviation is going downhill fast. Down there it's basically a religious practice for the regional airlines to hire pilots right out of school so they can pay them like they work in a grocery store. There is still hope that the wages will be corrected here in Canada.

job availability: One word: furlough
pay: worse than Canada (unless you snag a job with Fedex or UPS)
economy: in the gutter at the moment

FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FastFlyBy »

That's pretty much what I thought. I haven't heard anything good from the south lately, in fact, a friend of mine was recently furloughed from a decent job.

Marriage: So far so good. 1 year down, 25-life to go.
Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

Personally, I would rather work in Canada.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Well, remember... there's more to aviation than airlines. The corporate aviation industry is hotter in the US than it is in Canada.

Although, with the economy being the way it is, it's like getting hit too. Then again, nobody is safe right now.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

FB: with the current mess in Santa Barbara, I'd say you're pretty safe for the now..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

I think I'm pretty safe - California will always burn. :mrgreen:

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Ronner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ronner »

Some much better chances of flying Multi Turbine in the USA, If you dont mind aerial work you can get on a -6, 208, king air or CASA 212 with 250h. Your left seat in all but the casa before you hit 1000TT. I would be gone if I had anyway to work there

Return to “Employment Forum”