How hard should you lean on CP's

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

hertford
Rank 1
Rank 1

How hard should you lean on CP's

Post by hertford »

HI

I have been job hunting for the past month following the guidelines as they are listed on the PCC website, specifically the no phone calls routine but haven't had much success.

I've had a few return emails from some of the more established companies giving me the standard thanks but we are not looking right now we will keep your information on file for the next 6 months >>>>

To tell you where I'm at I have close to 1100hrs total time half of which is instructing the other half is Turbine time.
I was recently laid off from my corporate gig. (its a really long story)

I'm curious now that I've sent my resume to everyone all over the place how much should I push it on the telephone because emails don't seem to be producing results.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: How hard should you lean on CP's

Post by mattedfred »

a personal visit is the best bet if at all possible

i waited in an air services office for almost 8 hours one day while the CP was out flying and he offered me the job when he got back

Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

If you can, deliver your resume in person, even if all the CP has time for is to accept it, shake your hand and say thanks. Call to follow up if you sent it by e-mail and no reply. Otherwise, stay in touch by e-mail. Most CP's are busy with lots on their plate.... at least that was the case with me, and phone calls on a regular basis gets to be disruptive. E-mails can be read and replied to at the CP's leisure without interference to other stuff.

Good luck!

"Nearly all safety regulations are based upon lessons which have been paid for in blood by those who attempted what you are contemplating" Tony Kern
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

I've got a potential employee that kidnapped my toy poodle and is holding her ransom for a job with our company. He sent me a picture of my dog along with his resume; that's the kind of thinking we need! Although I was mortified that she hadn't been groomed in 2 months.

Some may think he's leaning a little hard, but I appreciate his dynamic approach to an age-old problem.
William, bring my dog in on Monday, and let's get started.

PS. William have you seen my wife? I thought she was with the dog.

'effin hippie
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 'effin hippie »

Awesome......spilled coffee...

ef

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Depends on how badly you want the job, persistence is key, you just have to make sure you don't cross the line to annoyance. Always stay fresh on the individual's mind, update often, check in. Be perceptive to the cues that they give. I think the onus is on the chief pilot to let a persistent, sincerely interested pilot know EXACTLY where he/she stands. Do they have a chance, would you like them to keep their resume updated, if you don't know the the next time of hiring, just say so.

I think if someone has taken a legitimate interest in your organization, they are owed that much.

goaroundthrust
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by goaroundthrust »

i went to see the cp of a specific company every week for 2 years before i got the job ... I also got very creative on the resume . Including a wine bottle resume and some other contraptions , that i like to keep to myself , in case i ever need another job since the last one got me the job in the end....

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Lean on 'em HARD! CP's have short memories when it comes to remembering who called, or stopped by when. You need to find that fine line between "proactive" and "pest". Once you know they know that you know that they know you are looking for a job, just stop by without even bringing a resume. Just ask about a tour, or see what time coffee break is and get to know them on a more personal level. Heck if you want to go all the way find out their personal interests and go to the library and get educated. If they don't have time, get to know the ops manager, receptionist, rampie, maintenance engineers, or anyone who will listen. Eventually you will get a break. Good luck eh.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Most places have someone whose job is to block you from the CP. Get to know them, not the doughhead on the other side of the door. Who do you think sets out the stack of resumes for review?

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Just for some closure, I got my dog back and Will is the best damn employee I've ever had. I still haven't seen my wife.

She is the one on the left. Please let me know if you have seen her, she makes the best damn schnitzel ever. Oh and she's got our daughter with her too. Her grandmother and mom can be considered accomplices at this point. I figure they have crossed the boarder into Saskatchewan and have blended in so well I have little chance of finding them. Elley, if you're out there, send Schnitzel.

But I digress, the point of the story was to lean on employers, lean on them hard, and be CREATIVE. Stand out in this industry. Closing your mouth to breath is a terrific start, but try to go beyond that.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

mmmm schnitzel...

Last edited by altiplano on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Must be an industry downturn, my toy poodle has gone missing once again. I don't have a job to offer you guys right now, so please take the poodle for her heart worm test at least. Also, don't be alarmed if she does that butt slide thing across your new carpet. I hate that, but envy her ability to do it.

Last edited by desksgo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I liked your wifes schnitzel... but the salami and gruyere sanswhiches she makes are to die for. Find me a job and I'll have her send you a sandwhich.. you'll be glad to know she's in good hands

desksgo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by desksgo »

Look, the "sangewhich' is a great start, it'll get you an interview, but either find my dog, or go be a flight attendant for CMA and enjoy your take home pay...a jar of assorted buttons.

Return to “Employment Forum”