Contrail Requirements

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Contrail Requirements

Post by ehbuddy »

I suppose Contrails have already networked all of the Travel Agencies in Alberta setting a standard that all of the Tier 1's have to adhere to. They just could not book passengers unless the Standard at WJ was up to its standards.
---------- ADS -----------

Beaver2509
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Beaver2509 »

Oil companies will gladly book their employees a ticket on Air Canada, with the flight operated by Air Georgian/Jazz, with crew members on board who do not meet the contrail standard for experience. I'm assuming they either don't know, or feel that because it's "Air Canada" the crews must be more experienced.

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

That is totally true.

AC had guys with a year of jet experience were upgrading in 2007.

His approach is flawed. When the majors started hiring heavily in 2003 pilots were leaving quickly. Companies were having a hard time getting Captains to meet his numbers. In fact, I watched horrified as they hired people that had bounced around a lot and likely rejected by numerius airline panels and psych tests get these seats. A few did some very dangerous things and were fired. Good job Brian...

I was mostly irked at how impractical his approach was. He would not consider things such as Pilatus Command because he was rigid on Multi Engine. I eventually left for a command somewhere else.

To this day, I will have to be in year 2-3 of command at Air Canada to fly a business jet under Contrails. That will likely mark 18 years of flying, countless Sims, countless CRM courses and laying witness to some truly remarkable Captains with 20-30 years of experience I gather information from every day.

Numbers are only part of it....but hey, someone likely pays him a lot to do this....

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

MeAndMrPenguin wrote:That is totally true.

AC had guys with a year of jet experience were upgrading in 2007.

His approach is flawed. When the majors started hiring heavily in 2003 pilots were leaving quickly. Companies were having a hard time getting Captains to meet his numbers. In fact, I watched horrified as they hired people that had bounced around a lot and likely rejected by numerius airline panels and psych tests get these seats. A few did some very dangerous things and were fired. Good job Brian...

I was mostly irked at how impractical his approach was. He would not consider things such as Pilatus Command because he was rigid on Multi Engine. I eventually left for a command somewhere else.

To this day, I will have to be in year 2-3 of command at Air Canada to fly a business jet under Contrails. That will likely mark 18 years of flying, countless Sims, countless CRM courses and laying witness to some truly remarkable Captains with 20-30 years of experience I gather information from every day.

Numbers are only part of it....but hey, someone likely pays him a lot to do this....
In 2003 Air Canada declared bankruptcy and layed off 1000 pilots there was one job ad every 6 months for a Navajo driver requiring 5000 hrs and a fresh ppc your thinking late 2005-2007

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

here's the latest update as of Sept 16, 2016:
PIC.png
PIC.png (73.7 KiB) Viewed 24467 times
SIC.png
SIC.png (79.24 KiB) Viewed 24467 times
cat A.png
cat A.png (44.72 KiB) Viewed 24467 times

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

cat B.png
cat B.png (96.2 KiB) Viewed 24438 times
cat C.png
cat C.png (97.99 KiB) Viewed 24438 times
cat D.png
cat D.png (100.6 KiB) Viewed 24438 times

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

cat E.png
cat E.png (95.16 KiB) Viewed 24438 times
cat F.png
cat F.png (96.54 KiB) Viewed 24438 times
cat G.png
cat G.png (94.99 KiB) Viewed 24438 times

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

My theory on this, is that today is the perfect day to tell Mr Contrail to phuk off. During a boom, if you try to play hard ball with him, 2 operators will appear out of the shadows and take the work over. Right now, Sunwest and NCA are the only 703/ 704 players on the feild, GGN and CMA can barely staff their existing fleets, Skyservice is small and expensive. If SW and NCA got together and told Contrail to piss off, and started setting their own hour requirements, who's he going to turn to? What bank in it's right mind would finance a start up to compete with them in this economy?

There is absolutely no reason that a 1200 hour pilot with 1000 hours on type and having been to level D sim trainig 3 times total, can't safely operate a King Air or 1900 into the patch. Now is the time to stand up to this retard.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

/

Last edited by iflyforpie on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

That is a very interesting post.
A couple of points in there got me thinking about a few things.

Good work

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
L1900Edge
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by L1900Edge »

Sorry guys, a little behind here...What exactly is the definition of "contrails" in Canada?

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

'Contrail' is a consulting company that will carry out an independent audit of aircraft companies on behalf of the customers, ie, Oil and Gas, Forestry, mining, etc.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

ahramin wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 am Panama, when the Calgary corporate flight departments started getting shut down, there was a period of time during which charters were handed out to anyone and everyone with no thought to the safety of the operators. About the time the decision makers at the oil companies were starting to think this was a mistake, a certain corporate pilot saw a business opportunity, created contrails requirements, and sold the oil companies on it as a method of risk management.

So if you want to provide charters to the oil companies, you need to meet contrails requirements. On the pilot side this means meeting the matrix above, or getting a pass on them from the guy who writes it.

In my opinion it is more of a box checking exercise than actual risk management, but the oil companies seem to like it as it has been very successful.
It’s an aviation JSA lol

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

helicopterray wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 pm 'Contrail' is a consulting company that will carry out an independent audit of aircraft companies on behalf of the customers, ie, Oil and Gas, Forestry, mining, etc.
Ya, it’s a double edge sword. Keeps operators on their toes but it’s also doing in some of the older types like the 204. I think it has a place in the industry but it needs to be kept in check as well, maybe by something like uh idk TC!?! LOL

Return to “Employment Forum”