Jazz or Porter?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Jazz or Porter?

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Well ill share my story. I had applied to a king air operator in Ontario, got the job and start date a month or so later. I was looking through the benefits and saw that they have an agreement for ID 90 with Bearskin. At that time, the reputation was that it was so difficult to get in with the Bear. I thought what the hell, let me apply anyways. I sent my resume and within an hour I heard back. I phoned the Bear, told them the scenario, and explained that I will need to interview the next day, and during the interview I also explained my situation, and asked if they can tell me the next day wether I have an offer or not. Which they did. Same day I phoned the king air operator, explained that I just received a better offer and that I will not be joining them the following month.
---------- ADS -----------

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 8895 »

Hey all, getting close to that 1000th hour and was thinking of sending an application in to these 2 companies as they’d be my top choices and was curious to hear everyone’s opinions on the companies as of now, seeing as how it looks like this thread goes pretty far back

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Entirely depends on you. Both are great companies.

Jazz offers a bigger network, 3 types and several bases. AC network to travel on is nice. If you wanna go to AC then best way to do it.

Porter is smaller but nice workplace environment, heard it's nice place to be. Downtown if you want to live in YYZ.

Depends on your preferences.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

flyingcanuck wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:38 pm Entirely depends on you. Both are great companies.

Jazz offers a bigger network, 3 types and several bases. AC network to travel on is nice. If you wanna go to AC then best way to do it.

Porter is smaller but nice workplace environment, heard it's nice place to be. Downtown if you want to live in YYZ.

Depends on your preferences.
I wonder does anyone at porter commute in their own plane, since I know similar stories happen in the US

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Be surprised if anyone working there or at any regional for that case could afford to own a plane

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

dogfood wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:18 am Be surprised if anyone working there or at any regional for that case could afford to own a plane
Pretty feasible on a captain’s salary.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

As long as you have no kids and live in a tent under a bridge....

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I think its possible if you have a wife who earns a good salary as well. As the sole bread winner for my family of 3 we are still living paycheck to paycheck even after my upgrade.

Return to “Employment Forum”