Carson air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Carson air

Post by Invertago »

Anyone have any info on Carson air? Pay, hours flown etc? Bond? Is it good / bad / or ugly?
---------- ADS -----------

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Carson air

Post by SkyWolfe »

Catch me online later :)

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Invertago wrote:Anyone have any info on Carson air? Pay, hours flown etc? Bond? Is it good / bad / or ugly?
Pay is $19K a year + 7K per diems for F/O's, and I believe its $32K base for Captains with 7K per diems. Hours range from 80-100 a month I believe. Bond is 2 years $15K and you're trained on both Metro 2 and 3. Mon-Fri job, your day normally starts at 530 and ends at 6-8 or so. You'll fly your cargo to your destination and hold all day before returning (mostly).

Medevac side, again about 60-80 hrs a month. Probably some kind of rotation, don't know about the bond on the medevac side. Bases are Vancouver and Kelowna.

This is info I know from a friend working there. So of course someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by flying4dollars on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

I have heard basically the same thing, also from folk who work there.

Wolfie

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

flying4dollars wrote:$19K a year
Is that legal? Seriously, there's no way that would make the minimum wage requirements, would it? And if you were working as much as stated, you couldn't even get a second job... shouldn't have to anyway, but still.

Also, maybe someone can answer how they can hire a captain with such little time... thought you needed an ATPL to fly the Metro???

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

While 19k sucks it would average out to a full time worker making $9.20 an hour. At 1200 hours a year it brings it to $15.80. So no matter how you look at it yes, its above min wage. If you add the 7k per diems then its $26,000 a year which is more than i make at $11.25 as a rampie.

username:
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by username: »

flying4dollars wrote: Pay is $19K a year + 7K per diems for F/O's, and I believe its $32K base for Captains with 7K per diems.
:smt107 You gotta be kidding me, WTF???

Hoov
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hoov »

Sounds pretty sweet, what does one do with all that cash???

I carry my crucifix
Under my deathlist
Forward my mail to me in hell
Liars and the martyrs
Lost faith in The Father
Long lost in the wishing well

Wild side
Westward_Bound
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Westward_Bound »

Hoov wrote:Sounds pretty sweet, what does one do with all that cash???
Buy some crack and enjoy life?

Flaps 1 Billion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flaps 1 Billion »

Yikes, that's rough cash, good time building though. GGGQ, 1200hrs in the book means many more hours spent at work, even sitting in a hotel is considered work. If you're somewhere cos the company wants you to be, you're at work, hotel or not.

Per diem is not salary.

ho ho ho merry christmas
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

1200hrs in the book means many more hours spent at work, even sitting in a hotel is considered work. If you're somewhere cos the company wants you to be, you're at work, hotel or not
tell that to the FTU's :smt040

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

The medivac pay is better (especially for the captains). It is a 4 on 4 off schedule. Some of the days are fairly bad, but others are better.

Also you have to pay for all your charts and CAPs and the like. I would not be surprised if you have to pay for the uniform (though I do not know).

I was talking to the CP and he said the reason why the pay is so low, is because everyone is coming for time building and not for a career. :roll:

Personally 19k is insulting, especially considering the price to live in YVR and to a lesser degree YYC. I earned more money that this fueling aircraft at a training airport.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I wouldn't work for those wages, but if I had 1500 hours and no ATPL and could get the Captain spot, that wouldn't be too bad. Pretty scary in BC though.

I do not think the time building explanation washes though. They must have a lot of trouble getting good people at those wages, and that always costs lots of money. I have never seen an operation that treated their people poorly and got efficiency in return.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

flying4dollars wrote: Pay is $19K a year + 7K per diems for F/O's, and I believe its $32K base for Captains with 7K per diems. Hours range from 80-100 a month I believe. Bond is 2 years $15K and you're trained on both Metro 2 and 3. Mon-Fri job, your day normally starts at 530 and ends at 6-8 or so. You'll fly your cargo to your destination and hold all day before returning (mostly).

Medevac side, again about 60-80 hrs a month. Probably some kind of rotation, don't know about the bond on the medevac side. Basings are Vancouver and Kelowna.

This is info I know from a friend working there. So of course someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Metro capt is (at least was) 39K plus 7.2K per diems, with about 3K raise per year. You don't overnight, so you can, if you choose, save money on per diems.

King Air 350 Medevac in YVR puts in 40-60 hours a month....60-80 in YLW. Medevac Capt is 55K plus 3.6K per diems. 5K raise per year. Medevac FO is 28K plus 3.6K per diems.

Uniforms are paid for, you have to buy BC CAP & LO1-2. NOAA(for NW USA), RCAPS, VFR Charts, and Alberta CAP are provided.

Good maintenance, great experience. Shitty pay for FO's. Grueling sked in YVR for the metro crews.

Last edited by wallypilot on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flap16
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flap16 »

Is it legal to require an employee to purchase their own charts?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

yup, don't see why not. Don't like it but i don't see why it would be illegal

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

I would be interested to hear from an FO how they survive in Vancouver or Calgary on that money. Because from looking around for a basement apartment, car loan, insurance ...etc would require me to take home minimum $2000/month. Carson's pay would put me $600/month short. Probably the lowest paying +12,500lb job around.

farmerjoe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by farmerjoe »

iv heard CMA is even lower, and your based in the pricey rat race of ycc. If your in this for the money, you choose the wrong career.

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

Invertago wrote:Anyone have any info on Carson air? Pay, hours flown etc? Bond? Is it good / bad / or ugly?
First the good news...oh wait, there isn't any. Just kidding. Can't speak as much for the metro side but you can expect long duty days five days per week (12+ hours, loading your own freight, with criminal pay, and a training bond).

As for the King Airs(medevac), YLW is 5 on 5 off. Captains start at 55K and FO's at 28K. YVR is a mixed bag for the schedule. 4 on 4 off but varies considerably from that. Maintanence is pretty good for the King Air. Long duty days at both bases...expect to work in excess of 12 hour days come summer. Pay for your own LO charts and CAP plates. Oh, and don't forget the 21K bond for the 350 (over 2 years). Don't be suprised if you get a call on your day off to come fly.

Do your homework before going to this company. Great place for experience but there are downsides. A lot of them.

A while back there were several people who bailed out of there because the employment conditions weren't great...so do your homework before you sign on the dotted line.

flap16
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flap16 »

C-GGGQ wrote:yup, don't see why not. Don't like it but i don't see why it would be illegal
Charts and plates are required to do the job safely - just like vests, boots, hearing protection, and various other equipment is required in other jobs, but employees aren't required to purchase.

Should I also be paying for the paper used for my flight manifests, the AFM, and de-ice fluid? Whats the difference between having the crew pay for their charts/plates and paying for the de-ice fluid they plan on using?

Anyway, don't want to hi-jack the thread.

Return to “Employment Forum”