Central Mountain Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Quag_mire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Central Mountain Air

Post by Quag_mire »

Just looking for some information on the company? I know the pay starts at 25k for an fo. I would not want to be based in Smithers either. It looks like a good company though.
---------- ADS -----------

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Central Mountain Air

Post by Ralliart »

Use the search function, there are numerous threads with the info you seek.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Unless he is looking for updated information such as hiring, layoffs etc. The official Avcanada consensus seems to be that CMA is a good work environment and a jumping stone to bigger things, but the pay sucks and you are bonded there (keep that in mind when you are stuck there bonded and nicer jobs appear.)

Also, you get to wear the cool hats!

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

And fly the cool planes!

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

And the freight loads itself!

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
A2G
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A2G »

Do they hire low time entry level? I have 325hrs, so could I be flying, or is it ramp first for sure?

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

I have the same experiance you do and i was told as long as 2 years working in the flight dispatch department for $11/hr with a chance to make up to $13/hr after 1 year with the company.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

A2G wrote:Do they hire low time entry level? I have 325hrs, so could I be flying, or is it ramp first for sure?
You'd be ramp for sure, and likely be in Smithers from what I hear. They are very sticky on the 1000hr min for direct flying. Imagine how the other ramp guys would feel if they put you right seat with 325 while they ramped for over a year with 250TT. Seems 999hrs is no further ahead then a 200hr guy. I think they take one guy off the ramp every groundschool, so maybe 2 per year. Not sure how many they have on the ramp though so you could be there a while. Again, I'm using second hand info here from people I know.

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

I talked to the chief dispatcher who is also a pilot and there are currently 14-16 people waiting for positions to open up.There are better place to start your career that's for sure.

Biggles
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Biggles »

From what I remember, they required at the very least the IATRA if you were going to work the ramp. If you are going to go directly to the right seat the very minimum you would need is the ATPL exams completed and as I am sure you know, you need 750 hrs to do that.

That being said, it is a good company to work for. I only spent a short time there, though it was a good time. Don't know how the management sleeps at night with what they pay their pilots (captains included), but then again, my quick exit from the company is a good reason. And I left because the pay sucked. Tit for tat. tat for tit.

Anyway, it is a good company, the pilot and ground group are awesome and it is great experience. I still miss flying the 1900. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. My info might be a little out dated but I am always willing to help where I can.

Good luck.

It is better to be sitting on the ground wishing you were in the air than being in the air wishing you were on the ground
rightseatwonder
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by rightseatwonder »

Hat is optional.

Ill leave it up to you to decide if there is a direct correlation between those who choose to wear the hat and those with whom you would like/not like to fly with! lol.jk

Mustang06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mustang06 »

Hey there,

what about 950TT with previous multi-turbine experience?

Fly baby fly!!!
KHills
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KHills »

Invertago wrote:
A2G wrote:Do they hire low time entry level? I have 325hrs, so could I be flying, or is it ramp first for sure?
You'd be ramp for sure, and likely be in Smithers from what I hear. They are very sticky on the 1000hr min for direct flying. Imagine how the other ramp guys would feel if they put you right seat with 325 while they ramped for over a year with 250TT. Seems 999hrs is no further ahead then a 200hr guy. I think they take one guy off the ramp every groundschool, so maybe 2 per year. Not sure how many they have on the ramp though so you could be there a while. Again, I'm using second hand info here from people I know.
Ground school (last summer) ran about once a month, and they took one guy at a time. however last summer they did take 2 at a time for at least one month, cant say for sure for how many months they took more than 1. On average it was 1 per month though. Im sure things have changed since the market has flipped.
Its also a MINIMUM 18 month wait, even if your number 1 in your 15th month, you gotta wait those extra 3 months. When I worked there, most of the FOs told me they were on the ramp for 18-20 months and when they started they were 15-20th on the list, but those were in the good times....I can imagine right now a full 2 years or even more might be more probable.

Edited to add:
For anyone who doesnt have the CPL MULTI-IFR, IATRA exams all done, those 18 months havnt started yet. once you have all of those in your pocket, THEN you get on the list.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Mustang06 wrote:Hey there,

what about 950TT with previous multi-turbine experience?

How much of that is PIC. If your answer is very little the wait grows longer. Oh, and they are hard and fast with that 1000TT. You'll need to do a few more circuits in the C150 to get on the short list.

Mustang06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mustang06 »

thanks invertago,
so what you say it's a pilot with 1000tt on c-152 has priority over a guy with 950TT even if he or she has 500 multi-turbine?

Fly baby fly!!!
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Mustang06 wrote:thanks invertago,
so what you say it's a pilot with 1000tt on c-152 has priority over a guy with 950TT even if he or she has 500 multi-turbine?
Basically they're looking for people they can move to the captains seat. Both candidates will need to be trained to the way CMA does things anyway. 950hrs of doing something for company X might mean CMA has to break your old habits anyhow. (I recall west jet turning away a lot of guys with 737 time because west jet wanted guys to do things the west jet way not bringing any training baggage with them.) Assuming the 1000hr C152 guy has his MIFR and IATRA done his/her resume goes in the direct Co-pilot pile while the 950hr right seat turbine guy goes direct into the ramp pile. That being said... if you're only 50hrs away, get the 50 and apply. If CMA lets the 950hr guy in, the 900hr guy on the ramp will get pissed. They held the line on their 1000hr min when the going was good last year, this year they have no reason at all to even consider exceptions.

The guy with 1000pic C152 is a lot closer to the left seat then the guy with 100pic and 850 turbine SIC according to Transports licensing standards. There are many threads on this forum suggesting jumping right seat turbine straight from flight school doesn't necessary make for a faster career start then bush/instructing time.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The guy with 1000pic C152 is a lot closer to the left seat then the guy with 100pic and 850 turbine SIC according to Transports licensing standards.
I would take the guy with the 850 turbine SIC.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Cat Driver wrote:

The guy with 1000pic C152 is a lot closer to the left seat then the guy with 100pic and 850 turbine SIC according to Transports licensing standards.
I would take the guy with the 850 turbine SIC.

I'm not advocating the system, just explaining it as best I understand it.

Personally, I'd love to trade some single piston PIC for a bit of turbine SIC in my log book. Actually, I'd rather trade all my logged hours for a degree in dentistry and the paycheck that follows, but that's another thread for someday.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Well you don't necessarily have to have the pic time to upgrade, though unless you want to be an f/o there for your entire sortie with them, you should come with pic time.

Either way, you need 1000 hours. Not 950...1000. I had 900 when I tried getting into one of their groundschools, but their HR lady, who I'll mention was very nice, informed me to keep things fair for their ramp agents, they are firm on 1000TT for direct entry hires. I even had a 1900 type rating, but they didn't see 4 digits on my hours total, so I was a no go until I reached that time. Needless to say I ended up with an offer elsewhere so no I'm not with CMA right now.

Mustang06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mustang06 »

hey guys,

very interesting comments, thanks very much, seriously.

Mustang06

Fly baby fly!!!

Return to “Employment Forum”