That Elusive First job

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: That Elusive First job

Post by C-GGGQ »

The difference between being a doctor and being a pilot is a doctor is fully trained once he finishes med school
um....no not even kinda. once done school your an intern then a resident and so on and so forth but you spend that time just like with a fresh cpl LEARNING as you too have a learners permit. HOWEVER you spend it learning how to be a doctor not how to scrub toilets. Or break your back all day every day for 16 hours and at the end of the day even after doing everything to help out possible, no breaks, no food, stay late, come in early have managment basically say "So? thats how you are supposed to work screw the labour code" You learn to say screw you i'll never work through my lunch again, I will show up ON time, I will LEAVE on time. Or you will give me time and a half for every second i'm here past quiting time. If managment would acknowledge and reward hard work and dedication it would be great you will find a lot of places though just ASSUME you will ignore every right you have from the labour code EVERY day just to help them out cause....your an 18 year old moron (all 18 year old are morons I was a moron at 18) who will chase that carrot for years before you figure out you don't have a chance. But its all good cause the company gets slave labour makes a bundle and when you up and leave another 18 year old moron will pay THEM to get your job. end rant
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

as a side note. THERE IS NO CAREER IN THE WORLD WHERE YOU STOP LEARNING AS SOON AS YOU HAVE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is it that EVERYONE thinks that the fact that your CPL is basically a learners permit is something only found in aviation. YOU WILL NEVER STOP LEARNING. EVER. IN ANY JOB.

there are 3 groups of pilots (or armchair quarterbacks)on this forum
1 Those who say your CPL is a learners permit and you are no better than a non licensed idiot
2 Those who say you have a CPL you are a proffessional pilot and should demand to be a captain of a turbo prop right out of flight school.
3 Those who say with a CPL you are a proffessional pilot but never forget no one knows everything listen to those with experience and learn from them.

Group 1 and 2 are idiots

A CPL is not a learners permit, a student permit is a learners permit. a CPL states that the goverment has deemed you skilled enough to fly for hire. THat said you will have to learn every plane you fly. Every company will have slightly different procedures even for the same aircraft. Tricks of the trade and wisdom are learned through mistakes learn from everyone elses so you don't make them yourself. Do not sell yourself short. Work hard, but demand the respect you deserve for making it this far and for working as hard as you do. Learn the labour laws. Never allow yourself to get screwed over because you are ignorant.

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

C-GGGQ wrote:as a side note. THERE IS NO CAREER IN THE WORLD WHERE YOU STOP LEARNING AS SOON AS YOU HAVE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is it that EVERYONE thinks that the fact that your CPL is basically a learners permit is something only found in aviation. YOU WILL NEVER STOP LEARNING. EVER. IN ANY JOB.

there are 3 groups of pilots (or armchair quarterbacks)on this forum
1 Those who say your CPL is a learners permit and you are no better than a non licensed idiot
2 Those who say you have a CPL you are a proffessional pilot and should demand to be a captain of a turbo prop right out of flight school.
3 Those who say with a CPL you are a proffessional pilot but never forget no one knows everything listen to those with experience and learn from them.

Group 1 and 2 are idiots

A CPL is not a learners permit, a student permit is a learners permit. a CPL states that the goverment has deemed you skilled enough to fly for hire. THat said you will have to learn every plane you fly. Every company will have slightly different procedures even for the same aircraft. Tricks of the trade and wisdom are learned through mistakes learn from everyone elses so you don't make them yourself. Do not sell yourself short. Work hard, but demand the respect you deserve for making it this far and for working as hard as you do. Learn the labour laws. Never allow yourself to get screwed over because you are ignorant.
Agreed, it feels great to come on here and get told your no better than a licensed pilot just because you don't have experience. The experience will come with time. A CPL does not mean you are skilled enough to go and bomb away, but it means you are skilled enough to get hired, which involves more training yet...the beauty of this job is theres always so much to learn.

As far as the doctor thing goes, it is true he does apprentice, but the point is a doctor is far more qualified coming out of med school than we are as CPL licensed pilots-we still have to do tons more training in order to fly for a job, a doctor does but not to the same extent.

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

C-GGGQ wrote:
The difference between being a doctor and being a pilot is a doctor is fully trained once he finishes med school
um....no not even kinda. once done school your an intern then a resident and so on and so forth but you spend that time just like with a fresh cpl LEARNING as you too have a learners permit. HOWEVER you spend it learning how to be a doctor not how to scrub toilets. Or break your back all day every day for 16 hours and at the end of the day even after doing everything to help out possible, no breaks, no food, stay late, come in early have managment basically say "So? thats how you are supposed to work screw the labour code" You learn to say screw you i'll never work through my lunch again, I will show up ON time, I will LEAVE on time. Or you will give me time and a half for every second i'm here past quiting time. If managment would acknowledge and reward hard work and dedication it would be great you will find a lot of places though just ASSUME you will ignore every right you have from the labour code EVERY day just to help them out cause....your an 18 year old moron (all 18 year old are morons I was a moron at 18) who will chase that carrot for years before you figure out you don't have a chance. But its all good cause the company gets slave labour makes a bundle and when you up and leave another 18 year old moron will pay THEM to get your job. end rant
Nice rant! It's totally true too!

I will go work on the Docks if it means getting a flying job, but I certainly won't go be abused as a ramp worker anywhere-there is a very fine line between paying your dues to become a pilot and being plain abused.

yvanddivans
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yvanddivans »

Randleman: Did you ever consider going off-country? Or you absolutely want to stay on the Canadian side?

OFF TOPIC: Just wondering.... am I the only one that thinks that the argument going on between NWONT and iflyforpie kinda looks like two religous people trying to convince the other that they've got it right and their view's better than the other rather than just be proud of themselves, their values and the journey they took to get there, which made them the people they respectively currently are? Also that this "my d*ck's longer than yours" contest is so off topic?
I mean no disrespect to either of you but... come on!

Private Pilot - 09/2009
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

The question was asked, and has been asked on this forum a hundred times is " how do I get a start in aviation". A few opinions were offered. One was to put some flowers in your hair and prance around Whistler. I don't see how that would help you achieve your goal. Others suggest that right out of flight school you are now a professional pilot so act like one. Walk into your first interview with a long list of all the job related tasks that you absolutely will not do. Good luck with that. Another experience was brought up where a pilot worked two years on the dock and finaly gave up on his flying career altogether. Obviously this person just wasn't suited to this line of work. I feel that I am very qualified to comment on this because I have been there and done that. I think Randleman was looking for some real advice, not for someone to stroke his ego. I gave him what he asked for and related how it has worked for myself and many others. If you consider this off topic then you have me confused. Your suggestion that he should go to other countries just demonstrates what little knowledge you have of aviation and the world in general. How many other countries have you worked in as a pilot? I'm guessing none. I have worked in many so I guess my dick is longer than yours. Maybe you would like to tell us about how you have launched your carreer and a little of your achievements so Randleman and others like him can reflect and learn from it. Thats what this thread is about.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

NWONT wrote: I feel that I am very qualified to comment on this because I have been there and done that. I think Randleman was looking for some real advice, not for someone to stroke his ego. I gave him what he asked for and related how it has worked for myself and many others. If you consider this off topic then you have me confused. Your suggestion that he should go to other countries just demonstrates what little knowledge you have of aviation and the world in general. How many other countries have you worked in as a pilot? I'm guessing none. I have worked in many so I guess my dick is longer than yours. Maybe you would like to tell us about how you have launched your carreer and a little of your achievements so Randleman and others like him can reflect and learn from it. Thats what this thread is about.

What are you going on about? I realize this is most likely not directed at me, however...

The kid is 18. There is NO rush. That's the problem in aviation, we have an entire industry worth of people going hell bent for leather to get to the biggest, highest paying job they can, with precious few stopping to smell the roses along the way... But that'll open another huge thread, so I'll leave it there.

Second, I have worked in MANY countries - not flown over them, or stopped at an airport, but worked IN them, there's a big difference. Travel is a first class way to explore the planet, see what other people do and how they do it differently than we do - extremely important should you ever wish to work in a foreign country.

Anyway, why do all these things turn into philosophical pissing matches? The kid asked for some advice, and why can't we all just provide our perspectives so HE can choose hi path better, and spare the verbal jousting?

Anyway, there's a fire that needs some attention....

stl

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

You're right, it wasn't aimed at you. The question was how to get started in a flying career not how to improve technique on the ski hill. The first season flying floats can be much more pleasurable and rewarding than bumming around. As you said, its up to each person. A while back I was talking to an Aircanada pilot who also flew out of Red Lake many years ago. He mentioned that during his float days he had taken thousands of pictures but since he joined AC he had taken only about five. Meaning that the most interesting and enjoyable part of his career was behind him.

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

yvanddivans wrote:Randleman: Did you ever consider going off-country? Or you absolutely want to stay on the Canadian side?

OFF TOPIC: Just wondering.... am I the only one that thinks that the argument going on between NWONT and iflyforpie kinda looks like two religous people trying to convince the other that they've got it right and their view's better than the other rather than just be proud of themselves, their values and the journey they took to get there, which made them the people they respectively currently are? Also that this "my d*ck's longer than yours" contest is so off topic?
I mean no disrespect to either of you but... come on!
I have been recently thinking about applying to work in Maun, Botswanna. I am also American and in the process of getting my American licenses. I would love go to live in another part of the country to fly-i think it would be a great experience.

The reason I don't go travel is because I owe so much money, I can't afford to not work right now, and I would way rather work flying than work at a job that doesn't involve it.

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

NWONT wrote:The question was asked, and has been asked on this forum a hundred times is " how do I get a start in aviation". A few opinions were offered. One was to put some flowers in your hair and prance around Whistler. I don't see how that would help you achieve your goal. Others suggest that right out of flight school you are now a professional pilot so act like one. Walk into your first interview with a long list of all the job related tasks that you absolutely will not do. Good luck with that. Another experience was brought up where a pilot worked two years on the dock and finaly gave up on his flying career altogether. Obviously this person just wasn't suited to this line of work. I feel that I am very qualified to comment on this because I have been there and done that. I think Randleman was looking for some real advice, not for someone to stroke his ego. I gave him what he asked for and related how it has worked for myself and many others. If you consider this off topic then you have me confused. Your suggestion that he should go to other countries just demonstrates what little knowledge you have of aviation and the world in general. How many other countries have you worked in as a pilot? I'm guessing none. I have worked in many so I guess my dick is longer than yours. Maybe you would like to tell us about how you have launched your carreer and a little of your achievements so Randleman and others like him can reflect and learn from it. Thats what this thread is about.
I appreciate your advice NWONT, I really do. You have the same kind of mindset I have towards flying.

However, I Wouldn't say that STL doesnt know what he's talking about (he's already proven that to me in another thread :P ). Theres nothing wrong with his advice to go travel-and honestly if I could I would, but heck maybe I'll travel to another country and work there! Who knows.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

My comment on working in other countries is simply this. Many countries demand that the job be posted for and preference given to local people, nationals first, before anyone else can be offered the job. Many of these jobs require much experience on a certain aircraft or type of flying such as floats, mountains, short unimproved strips, etc. Then the licencing must be carried out, this will include exams and flight testing, your log book will be gone through with a fine toothed comb by the civil aviation people. If you have an accident their neck is on the block. Your personal background will also be scrutinized with police reports and references and previous employers. The reason many of these jobs exist is that not many want them as living conditions could be poor, health risks, political unrest or wars. Someone fresh out of flight school would have a difficult time securing such a job. Which brings us back to your original question, how to get started. The thread right next to this one mentions a entry level job in Red Lake. The next step is yours. Good luck.

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

NWONT wrote:My comment on working in other countries is simply this. Many countries demand that the job be posted for and preference given to local people, nationals first, before anyone else can be offered the job. Many of these jobs require much experience on a certain aircraft or type of flying such as floats, mountains, short unimproved strips, etc. Then the licencing must be carried out, this will include exams and flight testing, your log book will be gone through with a fine toothed comb by the civil aviation people. If you have an accident their neck is on the block. Your personal background will also be scrutinized with police reports and references and previous employers. The reason many of these jobs exist is that not many want them as living conditions could be poor, health risks, political unrest or wars. Someone fresh out of flight school would have a difficult time securing such a job. Which brings us back to your original question, how to get started. The thread right next to this one mentions a entry level job in Red Lake. The next step is yours. Good luck.
Yeah I am trying to figure out how to apply for that job, I can't find any contact info or people to apply to.

skywardbound
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skywardbound »

Randleman wrote: Yeah I am trying to figure out how to apply for that job, I can't find any contact info or people to apply to.
Position has already been filled.

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

If you have the right to work in the US, did you consider skydiving ops in the southern states that are open year round?
Some skydive oriented websites should help in that regard.

The license conversion with the bilateral agreement is quite straightforward and takes only a few weeks.

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

Louis wrote:If you have the right to work in the US, did you consider skydiving ops in the southern states that are open year round?
Some skydive oriented websites should help in that regard.

The license conversion with the bilateral agreement is quite straightforward and takes only a few weeks.
I am working on the license conversion. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if I want to move from where I am quite yet. I wouldn't mind waiting for something close by to open up, even if it meant not flying for 2 or 3 years (I am only 18 after all, I have tons of time).

Flyboy_high
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyboy_high »

I wonder if Doctors have a forum site like ours?

I agree live life; have some fun while you are young. But just remember folks some of these low timers have $$,$$$ of debt. So let’s be realistic in our suggestions. I would say take any ramp, instructor, flying position you can find but if you find it is not for you, don’t waste 4 years of like your life day by day only because hopefully it would soon be over. Your job is only one part of your hopefully long life. Enjoy it!

If you think 20-30 should be your adventure and fun days, not slave droning days. You might look back and think otherwise later- and was Wj or AC for 1 extra year worth it....pronbably not!

FlyBoy 4 Life
properbob
Rank 1
Rank 1

low time pilot-looking for direction

Post by properbob »

Hello,

I am looking for some direction, can anyone tell me where to start applying in Canada as a low time pilot with a company that would let me fly soon. I'm not sure if I want the docks or the ramp at this point but I am really open to suggestions. I don't want to work 2 years and then start flying as I'm not getting any younger.

Thanks!

bravowhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: low time pilot-looking for direction

Post by bravowhiskey »

With the way the industry has evolved, a low time pilot has no other choice but go north and work on the ramp or dock. You could stay in a city and get a instructors gig but if you eventually want to move away from that sorta thing and fly turbines your gonna have to go north. Bite the bullet and go north. It will be some of the best memories you'll ever make.

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

Research as many companies as you can. Search for information like websites, registered aircraft, locations etc. Try and determine where you would most likely get hired as a pilot. In my opinion, you are more likely to get hired single engine, single pilot, VFR, wheels or floats. Find out who operates these types of aircraft and which of these operators tends to hire low time pilots. I also wouldn't waste my time and money mailing or emailing a resume to any operator that I wasn't planning to call and visit in person.

If I were to do it again I might get my CPL at a local flying club then get my float rating and save the MEIFR for later. In my experience the guys with instructing time stayed in the right seat longer than the guy with a few seasons on floats and a fresh IFR.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I had the opposite experience; I worked the ramp for 3 months, got annoyed, did my instructor rating and taught for 1.5 years. I ended up going captain on the plane the same time I would have just been starting in the right seat if I had of stayed working the ramp. That company (voyageur) pretty much only hired instructors, and during that time (early 2000) there was tremendous movement in the industry, ended up with a very fast upgrade. I was lucky.
The point is there is no right or wrong way to get where you want to go. You'll most likely have to work the ramp, or do a non flying gig to get into the right seat. If you instruct, you'll still need to go north, but your wait in the right seat shouldn't be as long as you have (or are close to) your ATPL.

As Matted said, do a lot of research. I pored over the annual wings magazine with the company directory. I specifically targeted companies with singles to small twins. I spent hours, and a lot of money calling/faxing, driving. In the end it was friends, a tip, or dumb luck that got me here. It really is who you know, and being willing to go where ever.

The biggest thing is attitude. Not willing to do what is required, while keeping a positive attitude, is a sure way to not make it in the industry.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Return to “Employment Forum”