jobs

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

sky Rookie
Rank 3
Rank 3

jobs

Post by sky Rookie »

is fall/winter the worst time to be looking for a spot
---------- ADS -----------

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: jobs

Post by Randleman »

It depends where you are. If you are in the prairies, yes, the springs is generally when flying starts up again (when it gets warm). Whether it be parachuting, floats, etc, most companies I have talked to say spring is when it gets busy and it cools down in September/October.

If you live up North there's probably flying to be done on skiis, etc.

I'm no expert, but this is what I understand from my experiences.

paydaymayday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by paydaymayday »

Spring is traditionally hiring season, and it can be a real rush when the times are good, like a conveyor belt. This last one, and this coming one, were (and are going to be) slow.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Fall is the time everything slows down and new pilots start to hibernate and live off the fat they built up during the summer months. You did get fat this summer didn't you?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

Anytime is a good time to be looking for a job. Its beats not looking for work. If the hiring is slow, then you have a jump on the other people looking when it is busy. If it is busy then you have a better chance of landing a gig. Glass is half full perspective I 'spose. Just a thought.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

paydaymayday wrote:Spring is traditionally hiring season, and it can be a real rush when the times are good, like a conveyor belt. This last one, and this coming one, were (and are going to be) slow.

Really?

I was under the impression that with the olympic and all coming to Canada that the economy would only boost after that. At least the BC economy.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Nope, that's just marketing. BC government is in a deep financial hole, and offloading costs as fast as possible. Job losses at health authorities all over the place. Once the construction rush (gotta get things built for the Olympics) is over, expect losses in that sector, too.

No-one ever accused me of being an optimist! :lol:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Sam300
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sam300 »

North Shore wrote:^ Nope, that's just marketing. BC government is in a deep financial hole, and offloading costs as fast as possible. Job losses at health authorities all over the place. Once the construction rush (gotta get things built for the Olympics) is over, expect losses in that sector, too.

No-one ever accused me of being an optimist! :lol:
Try Manitoba, never booms, but never busts!

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

Randleman wrote:It depends where you are. If you are in the prairies, yes, the springs is generally when flying starts up again (when it gets warm). Whether it be parachuting, floats, etc, most companies I have talked to say spring is when it gets busy and it cools down in September/October.
We're in the Prairies and winter tends to be our busier season; plenty of crew changes etc. Having said that, this year could be somewhat slower due to the economy. Summers are traditionally slower but again it depends on several factors. There is no bad time to be looking and applying. Hiring pops up unexpectedly sometimes.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Switchfoot wrote: We're in the Prairies and winter tends to be our busier season; plenty of crew changes etc. Having said that, this year could be somewhat slower due to the economy. Summers are traditionally slower but again it depends on several factors. There is no bad time to be looking and applying. Hiring pops up unexpectedly sometimes.

And what company is that?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
INVERTEDAV8R
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by INVERTEDAV8R »

I'll second Manitoba. Heading back there in the spring for another season. No boom no bust :wink:

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

You never know when or where that opening is going to pop up, and it would really suck to miss out because traditionally no one hires at a certain time.

Apply, apply, apply, and ye shall be rewarded.

peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

My best advice is to get out there in person. All the emails, forums and phone calls probably won't get you that first gig. Even if you can't get that first job, surround yourself with people in the industry, work hard anywhere in town and keep showing your face and you will probably fill that "rampy/180 pilot wanted" add on avcanada before it is posted. I have seen numerous jobs filled in the last 6 months by people who are physically there (myself included). I can't stress enough being in the right place at the right time. Separate yourself from the thousands of 200 hour wonders and take control of your future. I realize how difficult it is at the moment, but I made it happen 6 months ago and am going strong at 500 hours now with plenty to come. It's not easy, but with enough perseverance, it'll happen . That's just my experience though. If your shy or a wallflower disregard all that advice. .... That's all I have to say about that:D
Good luck!

Return to “Employment Forum”