705 Dispatcher

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

705 Dispatcher

Post by Tango01 »

How's a dispatching career for a major carrier like? Im looking for information on working conditions, schedules, training, benefits, pay, etc. Might be making a switch and since I want to stay in the industry, I thought it might be a good idea. I also would like to work for a reputable airline and stay there, but if I need to get experience with smaller outfits first, I guess I can do that too, no problem.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks

T
---------- ADS -----------

Timing is everything.
Tango Romeo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 705 Dispatcher

Post by Tango Romeo »

Tango01 wrote:How's a dispatching career for a major carrier like? Im looking for information on working conditions, schedules, training, benefits, pay, etc. Might be making a switch and since I want to stay in the industry, I thought it might be a good idea. I also would like to work for a reputable airline and stay there, but if I need to get experience with smaller outfits first, I guess I can do that too, no problem.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks

T

The working conditions for each carrier vary. Its difficult to say which are better than others because each is unique in its own way. Try picturing an office environment filled with expletives...lol. Schedules too also vary depending on which airline you dispatch for. Some do a continental schedule while others do a 4 on 4 off type rotation. I've heard of other carriers doing a longer stretch of 10-14 days and then 10-14 days off. Expect overnight shifts at the bigger outfits as well.
After completing both TC exams you are able to apply with a company for training. Most of the bigger outfits usually look for some type of dispatching experience, but I've heard of places taking individuals with little experience but have an excellent attitude. I wouldn't bank on that happening frequently though. Depending on the carrier, training may last anywhere from 3-6 months (and potentially longer). After you complete the on the desk training, a TC designate will perform a check on your compentency level. From there, if you are successful, you are issued a flight dispatcher certificate which is specific to the airline you work for.
Again, benefits and pay will vary from carrier to carrier and from city to city. Its hard to put an exact figure but I'd say that most outfits would start between 35k-50k and salaries may range up to over 80k depending on overtime, etc.
Keep in mind this information is based on Type A dispatching, smaller outfits usually don't require the TC exams, and the dispatchers there are usually flight followers, and flight coordinators. Expect much lower salaries for these companies...but again it can be a very rewarding experience and career if you enjoy all the hands on aspects of flight coordination.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: 705 Dispatcher

Post by Tango01 »

Thanks TR!

Timing is everything.

Return to “Employment Forum”