Porter and flying the Dash-8-400

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bill Lumberg
Rank 1
Rank 1

Porter and flying the Dash-8-400

Post by Bill Lumberg »

I have a few questions. For the Porter pilots, do you enjoy flying there? Do you enjoy the Dash-8-400? Is the flying interesting? Where are your favorite routes, or ones that you dislike? Is the pay still pretty good? Are there more growth opportunities? How many legs do you fly per day, and do you usually fly one day trips? 3 or 4 day trips? Thank you. Cheers! :D
---------- ADS -----------

You sound like you have a case of the MONDAYS...
catan man
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Porter and flying the Dash-8-400

Post by catan man »

Good questions? I'd like to know as well.

ILS26_Steep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ILS26_Steep »

do you enjoy flying there? Do you enjoy the Dash-8-400? Is the flying interesting? Where are your favorite routes, or ones that you dislike? Is the pay still pretty good? Are there more growth opportunities? How many legs do you fly per day, and do you usually fly one day trips? 3 or 4 day trips?
First question to ask yourself is.. Do you want to live in Toronto? Otherwise the flying is good. The Q400 is NEW w/glass cockpit, very fast (Not jet fast but fast for a turboprop). Flying is interesting landing into the island (ILS Steep for 26 4.8 slope, 4000ft strip, high winds sometimes, CAT2 into Halifax and St Johns, you name it) For some reason no one likes going to KEWR (Newark) its the least favourite. The pay for FO's starting is better than Jazz or Air Canada $40k, Capt is in the 70's, with pay increases every year (Upgrades can happen quick a year or so). Growth opportunities this year, so apply now. You can typically fly 2 to 6 legs a day. Yes usually one day trips, there are splits and pairings that stretch to 4 days if you want them.

You don't hear much complaining about Porter, so take that into consideration. Good luck :P

townville
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by townville »

Done some searching, but obviously not very successful.....
Sent out my resume a couple of days ago and just wondering if they reply to all applicants whether they're interested or not ??
If so, how long could that be (approx.) ??
Tks !

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

I heard that they are starting to restrict admissions and are going on a 'recommend' from within the company - not sure how true it is.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Any truth to opening a base in YOW?

Agrios Anemos
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Agrios Anemos »

Good Luck to All

Last edited by Agrios Anemos on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

From what I have understood the April 5th GS is the last one scheduled for now. However, I spoke to one of their captains the other day in YYZ and he said it might be some more hiring during the summer... They've hired a lot over the last few months and it sounds like the average time of the new hires was getting quite higher towards the end (4000 to 6000 TT for some fo candidates).

Good luck!

T.

PS : Unfortunately I am not working for Porter, this is just some information I have gathered...

Dhc6to8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dhc6to8 »

Hej guys, whats up with Porter? I have applied there since they started up and I have several thousand hours as a direct entry commander on the Q 400... I emailed in my resume and cover letter, but never, ever heard anything from them?? How does their selection system work? Is anybody else getting an answer to their application??
Would love to know, looks like a great place to work! I love Toronto, home town!!
6to8

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

Hey Guys,

I was just curious. Given the hub and spoke model that porter has does this mean pilots always end the day back at city center or do you have the occasional layover?

Cheers
JP

Return to “Employment Forum”