Bearskin, Thunder Air, Wasaya

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 1

Bearskin, Thunder Air, Wasaya

Post by Ville »

Anyone work for these companies or know how they are to work for? Thinking about seeing if I could start on the ramp of any of them and work my way up...
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Bearskin, Thunder Air, Wasaya

Post by Doc »

Ville wrote:Anyone work for these companies or know how they are to work for? Thinking about seeing if I could start on the ramp of any of them and work my way up...
Do you have a "pilot" license?
Pretty sure Wasaya has dispensed with their "wannabe" program.
I don't think The Bear hires rampies.
Thunder Airlines....can't help you there. Good operation, and the only one of the three that doesn't require you to pay upfront cash.

Wasaya treats their pilots like crap. The pilots are all real good folks.
Bearskin is good with their pilots, and so is Thunder.

dying2fly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dying2fly »

Any Bearskin pilots out there? If you don't mind sending me a PM that would be great :)

Thanks!

Captain Kangaroo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Captain Kangaroo »

I worked at the Bear for a couple of years. It was by far one of the best jobs I have ever had... probably shouldn't have left but the upgrade time is slow as many decide to hang their hat there for good.

CK

PS. One of the best CP's in the business to boot.

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

I worked at the Bear for a couple of years. It was by far one of the best jobs I have ever had... probably shouldn't have left but the upgrade time is slow as many decide to hang their hat there for good.

CK
+1

I worked at Wasaya for a bit as well, not as peachy as the Bear. But if you want to start on the ramp, Wasaya is probable the only outfit of the ones mentioned to do it at. (if they still have the 'wannabe' program)

Go a little further west/north young grasshopper!

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone know if others besides Wasaya have a wannabe program?

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

...and by others I mean others besides ones mentioned.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Central Mountain Air has a low time pilot list to progress wannabes to the right seat of the 1900D. I believe Air Tindi does as well (?).

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

Wabusk has a job ad for a ramp to flight line position.

Wasaya doesn't haven't a wannabe program right now. Things could change in the future but for now it's suspended.

Rank 1

Post by Ville »

Thanks guys!

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

Check out Perimeter Ville, they have a great program, though you will have to wait on the ground a LONG time. They say that you can move up within 6 months, but so far I've not met a pilot who has or who knows anyone who has done it much faster than 2 years...perhaps a Perimeter pilot could correct me if I'm wrong?

Keewatin/Kivalliq air also has a program similar, and they got a new CP, whom I visited, and he seemed like a real nice guy!

I myself just got into the "wannabe program" at another company, so take this for what it's worth! I'm sure there are others out there who can speak into that better, but just trying to help!
Best of luck to you!

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

So just saw Wasaya advertising for a Chief Flight Attendant, does anyone know what they are getting that would require an F/A?
I didn't think the HS748 hauled pax?

transplanted
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by transplanted »

They do have a pax kit for the 748, and the chief FA could be the whole crew as not sure they would need too many

TRQ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TRQ »

Well our DASH-8 with the Wasaya logo just rolled in if that answers your question...

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

as an ex perimeter guy its a great company to work for although the ramp wait is longer now than it was but it all depends on the industry, when things were moving quick a guy got on with a month of ramp experience when its slow some guys are in the 2+ year range. Advantage is ramp guys are making $14/hr after a year or so if your good so you can afford to work the ramp.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Only a two year wait? Gee, things are REALLY looking up! The world ends in 2012......maybe some day you will all get to exercise the privileges printed on your "pilot" licence.....maybe NOT!
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

fish4life wrote: Advantage is ramp guys are making $14/hr after a year or so if your good so you can afford to work the ramp.
I didn't think that making $14 an hour would be considered an "advantage" in an entry level job for high school grads, nevermind pilots working non flying jobs waiting for an opportunity to fly.

Flygal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flygal »

+1 for Perimeter. Best pay in any department compared to all the other starter companies. So you will not live in squalid poverty while you're waiting to fly, plus YWG isn't that bad. Once you're on line, it's pretty nice too. Full benefits package, OK starting pay, Pilots Association, proper maint., fair management, good pilots and a overall positive environment. They have multiple jump seat agreements so you will be able to travel when you're not working one of your 16 days a month. There is a reason why they don't bond their metro and 99 pilots, it's an awesome gig. HR department has STACKS of resumes from CPL wonders trying to get their foot in the door. I'm a success story; no pain, no gain.

Kiv and Keewatin have a hiring pool too. Smaller companies though mean less movement. But I've heard good stories out of them too!
Brown Bear wrote:Only a two year wait? Gee, things are REALLY looking up! The world ends in 2012......maybe some day you will all get to exercise the privileges printed on your "pilot" licence.....maybe NOT!
:bear: :bear:
We all know about your views on working the ground with a CPL, but whining on avcanada won't get you any closer to a turbine. If you had got up off your ass you probably would be a captain somewhere by now. Just because mom and dad bought you a CPL doesn't mean you're entitled to a job. Lawyers have to article! Business people have to fetch Starbucks for the boss! Unless you're in the group of less than 1% of pilots who luck out with a job, you're going to have to get dirty. I mean no offence to you. I was once in your mind frame too. I then just accepted my fate to throw baggage one day and it all worked out. I had fun too.

frankfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frankfrank »

BoooYahhh!

Brown Bear just got owned!!!!!!! :lol:

Did mummy and daddy pay for your CPL? :lol: Years ago?

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Apples and oranges.

I'm with the bear on this one.

Law offices can't hire any douchbag off the streets to article. In fact articling is a legal qualification you must have prior to practicing law.

Working the ramp is not a legal requirement to becoming a pilot.

I'm not sold on your argument. Actually, I'm getting tired of hearing it.

Stop fooling yourselves.

Start thinking like a professional and we'll start getting paid like one too.

(Oh, doctors are legally required to do residence...if you were going to go down that road too)

Return to “Employment Forum”