Co-Pilot (The North West Company) - Can't submit resume?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

BankAngle1987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Co-Pilot (The North West Company) - Can't submit resume?

Post by BankAngle1987 »

Anyone else who tried applying have this issue? I went to the website as directed, filled out a brief survey (quite vague...clearly designed for a non-aviation job) and upon hitting the "next" button, the application was sent and an email forwarded to me thanking me for my interest and stating that my resume would be kept on file. But...it never gave me the opportunity to attach a resume.. :?

Not sure if the 'brief survey' was a screening process and I didn't make the cut, but it seemed like a pretty generic application to be making that kind of decision. I tried changing the "expected salary" a couple times to see if that did the trick :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Co-Pilot (The North West Company) - Can't submit resume?

Post by ywgflyboy »

Of topic (but realted in some way)... They seem to post this job every two months, anyone know what their deal is?

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

If you can't fill a spot within a few months in these times, maybe you are being too picky? :lol:

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

BankAngle1987 wrote:I tried changing the "expected salary" a couple times to see if that did the trick :lol:
Did you try -20 000? lol... That seems to work for some places, and some pilot's that would do anything to fly I suppose. :lol:

BankAngle1987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BankAngle1987 »

Haha I can see it now.."We're sorry, but your self-worth just doesn't seem to meet our standards. We were looking for someone a little more desperate than you. Thank you for your interest, and please don't hesitate to contact us should your attitude change and you are willing to work for sweet #@&$ all" Ohhh sigh.. I laugh because it's better than weeping uncontrollably! :lol:

Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Sometimes the reality in this industry is nothing but hilarious. LOL :lol: Apart from being very sad.

But, positive I remain, for success I shall gain ;) There is light at the end of the tunnel - at least that's what I believe.

There are way too many bitter people in the industry, and I had experience working with and around such people. And boy does it get to you!

One thing I've learned is that you've got to try and make the absolute best of it, and smile regardless of what happens. The universe tends to somehow smile back at you. I went from unemployed to employed in less than 48 hours lol. So much for no pilot shortage :P

Keep at it dude and I wish you the best 8)

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Positive I remain,for sucess I shall gain. The light at the
end of the tunnel for some jobs is a F&^%ing train. Author unknown

BankAngle1987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BankAngle1987 »

loopa wrote:Sometimes the reality in this industry is nothing but hilarious. LOL :lol: Apart from being very sad.

But, positive I remain, for success I shall gain ;) There is light at the end of the tunnel - at least that's what I believe.

There are way too many bitter people in the industry, and I had experience working with and around such people. And boy does it get to you!

One thing I've learned is that you've got to try and make the absolute best of it, and smile regardless of what happens. The universe tends to somehow smile back at you. I went from unemployed to employed in less than 48 hours lol. So much for no pilot shortage :P

Keep at it dude and I wish you the best 8)
Definitely have tried to have that outlook from the very beginning loopa. My career in aviation thus far has been a meandering trail of lucky opportunities and great friends coming through for me. It's been a long summer with no shortage of disappointment, but I remain positive that something will come through for me. Just gotta keep making those calls!

Isn't it funny how, right before you call a new CP, you always do kind of like a little mock conversation of the best possible outcome? "Why hello sir, I sure do have a job for you!! But first, have you met my beautiful daughter..." :lol:

rocco1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocco1 »

great replies guys! But anyone can answer the topic question now?

JohnnyDrama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JohnnyDrama »

I applied for a job with these guys a few years ago. I only had 500TT so I didn't get the job but I was given a direct email to the person hiring. I will see if I can dig it up and pm the details to people who are interested.

One side note though...

I have heard that this is not the best job. Maybe good for someone just starting out who needs to get a bit of time but with 1000 hours I'd personally say it's not worth it. From what I was told 3 years ago, you will have no chance of upgrade ever, the captain you always fly with isn't the easiest to work with and the salary is very low. Again, this is all dated information so I am not sure how accurate it is. Might be worth looking into. They have been hiring a lot lately and I don't think there has been any expansion.

JD

rocco1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocco1 »

JohnnyDrama wrote:I applied for a job with these guys a few years ago. I only had 500TT so I didn't get the job but I was given a direct email to the person hiring. I will see if I can dig it up and pm the details to people who are interested.

One side note though...

I have heard that this is not the best job. Maybe good for someone just starting out who needs to get a bit of time but with 1000 hours I'd personally say it's not worth it. From what I was told 3 years ago, you will have no chance of upgrade ever, the captain you always fly with isn't the easiest to work with and the salary is very low. Again, this is all dated information so I am not sure how accurate it is. Might be worth looking into. They have been hiring a lot lately and I don't think there has been any expansion.

JD
I dont really know where are the 1000h jobs this days!. Ton of 1000h pilots in canada with no jobs. But anyway...! thank you for your reply

BankAngle1987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BankAngle1987 »

Amen to that. 1100 hours here and out of 40+ companies I've spoken to, only 4 or 5 have taken the time to even reply. Not sure what I hate more, a PFO letter or being outright ignored :?

So story time kids..At the end of an uneventful day of job-hunting at the airport, I walked into a Mac's Convenience still in shirt and tie with leather portfolio of resumes and put one on the counter just to see what would happen. When the East Indian owner read it, he pulled me aside and spent the next 5 minutes trying to figure out why the hell I would apply at a corner store, all the while giving me the most sideways look I've ever received. He took my information, thanked me reluctantly and I left feeling lower than an ant's asshole. I never heard back. The store was robbed several weeks later. Isn't life funny.

Anyways, interesting predicament I'm in I guess - too "overqualified" to get general BS work, not qualified enough for the saturated aviation market. Pretty soon us 1000hr guys are going to have to get together and do a rain dance to get more AC/WJ/Porter groundschools going :lol:

rocco1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocco1 »

BankAngle1987 wrote:Amen to that. 1100 hours here and out of 40+ companies I've spoken to, only 4 or 5 have taken the time to even reply. Not sure what I hate more, a PFO letter or being outright ignored :?

So story time kids..At the end of an uneventful day of job-hunting at the airport, I walked into a Mac's Convenience still in shirt and tie with leather portfolio of resumes and put one on the counter just to see what would happen. When the East Indian owner read it, he pulled me aside and spent the next 5 minutes trying to figure out why the hell I would apply at a corner store, all the while giving me the most sideways look I've ever received. He took my information, thanked me reluctantly and I left feeling lower than an ant's asshole. I never heard back. The store was robbed several weeks later. Isn't life funny.

Watch out how you speak,Bankangle!!. Because people like us are called..the negative angels...not the realistic devils! Everybody says:...you should put your resume here and there...you should call and talk with CP...someone has even the guts to say:..yhou should bring donuts and coffe!! o BS like that! The fact is that more and more we going through this jorney, more we realize that there is something devil that keep us in this bussines.I dont know..maybe something inside us saying...dont worry..the good time will come! And then happen that you leave your resume to something different and someone even look you like you dont belong to this harth. I dont know at this point if is more worth light candles in a church or spending gas to go to talk to someone that doesnt have even a face!

good luck

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

I'll pass along the advice I got from a member of the great unwashed public at a house party when I was unemployed.

"Why don't you get your Commercial, and fly the big ones for Air Canada?"

OFD

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Thus far the best advice ofd :lol:

NAVAHOJOE
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NAVAHOJOE »

My buddy just left this postion, all those rumors seem to be true. Always beware of companys that have a high turnover, theres a reason!

JohnnyDrama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JohnnyDrama »

I think things are slowly starting to turn around. I know it's tough and extremely discouraging to be out of work and not even able to get a reply from companies but if flying is what you want to do then stick with it. Try your best to stay positive and don't get sucked in by some of the negative comments on this site.

BankAngle1987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BankAngle1987 »

If I had a nickel for every time I get asked when I'm going to be a commercial pilot OFD!! Riles me up just thinking about it :lol: My favourite piece of personal advice was that I received from the wonderful gent whose job it was to call me and inform me I'd been denied EI. "You should go get your two engine licence. I hear there are lots of jobs for those guys" Wanted to launch my phone across the room!

In any case, I've been flying since I was 13 years old, and I still love it as much as the first time even with all the BS. I've got a great network of friends and a decent resume so in the words of pretty much everyone NOT unemployed at the moment "something will come along" Just gotta be patient! Thanks for the support guys :)

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

BankAngle1987 wrote:If I had a nickel for every time I get asked when I'm going to be a commercial pilot OFD!! Riles me up just thinking about it :lol: My favourite piece of personal advice was that I received from the wonderful gent whose job it was to call me and inform me I'd been denied EI. "You should go get your two engine licence. I hear there are lots of jobs for those guys" Wanted to launch my phone across the room!

In any case, I've been flying since I was 13 years old, and I still love it as much as the first time even with all the BS. I've got a great network of friends and a decent resume so in the words of pretty much everyone NOT unemployed at the moment "something will come along" Just gotta be patient! Thanks for the support guys :)

Atta dude! ;) lol

That's right man, that's the mentality. Think positive, and imagine you're flying right now. You'll score something, I am sure of it.

You know what I say to spiff up the role of a flight instructor when somebody questions that I should get my CPL? I say, "see all of those pilots who are flying for Air Canada and WestJet? All of them got their so-called, commercial license through the instruction of their flight instructor" :smt040 What?! It's true... :P

Or you should do what my friend does with the ladies "I'm a check pilot for Boeing." LOL :lol:

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Straight from their maintenance manual, when they swap out the oil, it calls for them to dispose of the co-pilot and install a new one. They go through First Officers like crazy. Proceed with caution.

Return to “Employment Forum”