for only 18K......

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Mustang06
Rank 3
Rank 3

for only 18K......

Post by Mustang06 »

Responsibilities

Safety & Regulatory Compliance

Ensuring safety and regulatory compliance at all times including:

Ensuring safety and regulatory compliance at all times including:
Understanding and complying with all applicable safety and Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) including the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM).
Understanding and complying with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
Understanding and utilizing the Company Incident or hazard reporting system to report any difficulties arising during the flight day.
Being ready and willing to assume responsibility and control of the aircraft if at any point the Captain is unable to do so.
Treating the aircraft with respect with an objective of zero preventable damage to aircraft or cargo
Being in proper physical and mental condition for each flight day

Customer Service

Ensuring a high level of customer service at all times by:

Being knowledgeable of terms of service contracts and responsive to customer requirements
Dressing in company uniform and presenting a professional image as a representative of the Company

Inspections

Conducting thorough and accurate inspections to ensure the safety of the crew as well as to detect and prevent damage to aircraft and cargo including:

Pre-flight inspections at the commencement of each flight day or upon moving to a different aircraft that has not had a pre-flight inspection completed during that fight day. Any discrepancies noted are to be brought to the Captains attention.
Post-flight inspections at the conclusion of each flight day or prior to changing aircraft during the flight day. Post-flight inspections are to be documented at the base office prior to finishing the day. Any discrepancies are to be brought to the Captains attention.

Loading/Unloading

Accountable to understand and fulfill the contracted terms of each assigned route by:

Either independently or under the direction of the Captain, loading the aircraft with all required cargo and/or passengers associated with the said route.
COMAT material is also to be loaded subject to capacity and load limits.
Ensuring appropriate documentation of load limits.

Flight Operations

Assisting the Captain in safely and efficiently performing flying duties as required including:

Being at work, at the appropriate check in time on a reliable and consistent basis
Communicating with Air Traffic Control as required
Assuming flying duties as required
Actively participating in a two crew environment
Actively participating in crew resource management
Assisting the Captain with checking weather as required or instructed

Communications

Ensuring accurate, complete and timely communication with key stakeholders including:

Assisting the Captain with communication to the customer regarding departure, arrival times, delays and load volumes as per customer requirements.
Communicating with Chief Pilot or Operations Manager regarding any unexpected delays, diversions or incidents.
Assisting the Captain in notifying appropriate maintenance personnel of any mechanical issues according to company protocol.
Proactively notifying the Chief Pilot or Operations Manager of the need for upcoming training or currency requirements

Documentation

Performing accurate and complete documentation for each leg of the route on the following forms:

Daily Flight Summary
Operational Flight Plan
Aircraft Journey Log Book
Maintain an accurate and complete timesheet which is submitted prior to payroll deadlines of the 1st and 16th of each month
Log own flight duty time and may assist Captain with end of day email to Carson Air administration

Technical Competency

The First Officer is expected to stay current in his/her knowledge of aircraft systems and Instrument Flight Rules and comply with Transport Canada’s annual training requirements.

Other duties, such as washing of the aircraft, as assigned.

Competencies Customer Focus – Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of attention; readjusts priorities to respond to pressing and changing customer needs. Able to build strong working relationships with internal and/or external customers; develops trust and credibility with the customer. Is professional and proactive.
Results Orientation– Able to demonstrate high personal work standards and a sense of urgency about results; do everything possible to meet goals and deadlines; persist in the face of repeated challenges; accept responsibility for the outcomes of his/her work. Is reliable.
Attention to Detail - Able to review data/documents for accuracy and consistency; take action to prevent mistakes; follow procedures closely; keep records accurate and up to date; test services/applicants rigorously when needed.
Collaboration and Teamwork – Able to earn trust and credibility by completing own share of team’s work; place team priorities above own personal agenda; appropriately consider other’s opinions; challenge proposed actions in a way that facilitates constructive discussion; support team decisions, even if different from own opinion. Demonstrates respect for others even in difficult situations.
Flexibility & Achieving Change – Able to positively deal with changes that affect job requirements. Adapts quickly to shifting priorities and recognizes situations/conditions where change is needed. Works to clarify situation where information, instructions or objectives are ambiguous. Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness. Makes suggestions to improve efficiency.
Open Communication – Able to practice active and attentive listening skills to verify understanding; clearly and concisely communicates verbally and in writing; proactively informs others about developments that affect them; responds to differences of opinion constructively.

Requirements Commercial pilot license with multi IFR rating
1000 hours of total flight time
500 hours of multi engine flight time
IATRA exams written
No Transport Canada violations or suspensions
Metroliner experience preferred
Aviation diploma preferred
Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
Demonstrated computer skills and familiarity with Internet
Good oral and written communication skills

And…. Be willing to work 70 hours per week making 18K at year with a nice 20k training bond (oh, I forgot, with
perdiems you can make 25K)
---------- ADS -----------

Fly baby fly!!!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: for only 18K......

Post by iflyforpie »

Nearly 2000 views! By pilots that are truly interested, or rubberneckers?

What a disgrace! To think I made as much with a 40 hour work week and no skills, working customer service for a rental car company, thirteen years ago!

Better hope those allowance checks keep coming in... :roll:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
rocco1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocco1 »

If only we were sure that nobody would apply for!! you would see those 18K growing like a tomatos in summer time..But there always will be someone ready to take that job!

good luck

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

And the colleges keep on pumping out new cpl's. :roll:

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Mustang06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mustang06 »

I personally think that is disgusting that there is an employer who is paying that salary to an employee who invested at least 50K in his education. It is also disgusting that somebody dumb enough would take this job under these conditions.
Please, say no!
Such a sad industry.....

Fly baby fly!!!
CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

Here's to living the dream.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Just out of curiousity, how do you know what the salary is? After I read your post, I went looking to see for myself. This seems kind of like those jokers who were getting people to pay to fly as FO's for them out near Vancouver.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
modi13
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by modi13 »

I'm working two aviation jobs, one of them flying, the same number of hours per week as for this job, and my combined T4s from last year were $2000 less. It sounds pretty good to me...

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

modi13 wrote:I'm working two aviation jobs, one of them flying, the same number of hours per week as for this job, and my combined T4s from last year were $2000 less. It sounds pretty good to me...
Better then me, when I was in high school I only pulled in 13k, though I was part time in the McDonalds drive through, and it was over a decade ago. Do you get high school credit where you work now? What do you want to do when you grow up and leave home to start a life of your own?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Hey, it's better than flying an RJ or a Q400 for one of the many "airlines" south of the border!

side note: (for those who are a little dense....note the sarcasm).

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

wallypilot wrote:Hey, it's better than flying an RJ or a Q400 for one of the many "airlines" south of the border!

side note: (for those who are a little dense....note the sarcasm).
[sarcasm]Uhm... how is a Metro better than an RJ?[/sarcasm] :lol:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

So who's fault is it? The employer for offering a lousy wage and bond or the pilots who continue to accept the offers? Or both? And more importantly, what needs to be done about it? On the pilot side, people need to stop accepting these ridiculous working conditions. It would be a start.

petey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by petey »

Who would want to fly an airplane 1000 hrs/yr. for 19K when you could get a ramp job for the same wage and bust your ass for 2 years to maybe get in the seat of an aircraft! This job isn't for me, but I'm sure the people applying for it aren't worried about how you and I feel about the whole thing anyways!

merlin
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by merlin »

One could argue that the companies are being smart to min. cost and max. profit.

One could also argue that the pilots are the jokers, because they buy PPC's and work for poor wages or even free. Think of all the guys that are hired at AC and Jazz for 34K a year, they are no different that the kids that work for Carson, Orca, Air Partners for awful pay.

canadapilot924
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by canadapilot924 »

I know who would want to apply: me and every other instructor out there who made less than 18k last year! Sad as it is...

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

Very sad indeed, and we all know the circus will stay on, as long as there are clowns. No clown, no circus right?

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
P6SM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by P6SM »

Ugh....this is depressing. I don't understand why there aren't laws set to prevent employers for paying such crap salaries. I'm still very new to the industry, and I can tell you for damn sure I would never take a job that offered me such a ridiculously low salary....That's barely enough money to pay for rent and food.

husky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by husky »

Why do people jump on the employer?

Lets take a theorhetic employer looking for pilots with:

-X number of hours fying experience
-to work X number of hours a week
-to post a training bond of X dollars

The employer posts a job ad for ONE position and receives hundreds of resumes. 50% of the suitable applicants are willing to accept a salary of 18K. What kind of business would say, "hey, we should pay this person more, they have a common skill in a saturated labour market"....???

Don't fault the companies, its an employers market :shock:

blaze
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by blaze »

I have what they're looking for and more, would love to sit right seat in a turboprop, and am not applying out of principle... for what my one resume is worth...

The offer is absolutely insane

dignifly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dignifly »

Have to agree with Husky. It all boils down to supply and demand. Would you be willing to pay more for a Beatles CD at the local family owned music store or the Wal-Mart where you can get that CD for five bucks less? If you go with the family store, kudos to you ,you're a nice person and willing to support the small guy. However, it doesn't make financial sense. Same goes for these flying companies. There are nice companies that will pay above what they need to but for the most part others will offer what the market dictates.

The only way to increase wages is to either increase the demand for pilots or decrease the supply. Demand is starting to pick up but supply will likely always outpace demand. What you might see is an increase in wages for captains as the industry picks up and experienced pilots become more rare. However, the FO's pay will not increase because there are thousands of people who can fill these positions. The only way wages will go up for FO's is if the pilot supply is restricted. Sad as it is, pilots are basically a commodity product and will stay that way. Only way to increase demand (and wages) for a commodity is to restrict the supply, which I don't see happening anytime soon. The schools keep pumping them out with the minimum requirement being that you have a pulse. Sad to say, but it's true, perhaps down the road a movement will be made to change this but for now this is the environment.

Return to “Employment Forum”