Non-Aviation Reference

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cienki
Rank 2
Rank 2

Non-Aviation Reference

Post by cienki »

Is it okay/a good idea to use a boss from a non-aviation related job as a reference for pilot jobs? My current boss (government job, non-aviation related) is always offering to give me a gleaming reference whenever I need it, but would this even be considered by a chief pilot?

What about non-flying aviation jobs (ex: airline ground)?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Non-Aviation Reference

Post by OceansEdge »

in my experience - flying references for a pilot job of course would be preferred, but first or second actual flying job - that may not be possible, so they're going to be looking for work related references for personality and work ethic mostly, so I'd use it.

for non flying jobs - absolutely, again they're looking for work ethic and personal interaction information mostly

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

I'd say for sure. It speaks to your general attitude and work ethic, which in many cases is more important than your actual flying. :wink:

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Every flying job I got was because of a reference and experience received from a non-aviation job. Just thought I'd share that.

cienki
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cienki »

Thats good to know. Thanks!

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

I would definitely include any relevant non-aviation references that you can.

I've talked to a few people in that past who are responsible for reviewing resumes, and they like to see people who have those references. It shows they have a "life" outside flying.

Too many people in the industry are just, airplanes airplane airplanes, all day long, 7 days a week. It gets old.

ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

For your first few jobs, hands and feet are no where near as important as customer service! You are the front line to the company, its representative, away from base you call the shots right? If I was in a position to hire someone who was looking to get their first job flying, i would want a reference from someone outside of aviation in a customer service background. If you could handle your customers well in a sales position, waiting tables, or even pumping gas, I would know you could do the same flying...

Return to “Employment Forum”