Why are employers so scared to post their "Company Payscale"

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Fox 3
Rank 4
Rank 4

Why are employers so scared to post their "Company Payscale"

Post by Fox 3 »

I have never understood this. Whenever I posted job ads I almost always included the actual wage offered, it was my opinion that by doing so it saved everybody from wasting their time if the wage wasn't what they wanted. I just don't get it.
---------- ADS -----------

Hang Time Is The Best Time!
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Why are employers so scared to post their "Company Paysc

Post by KK7 »

I would guess that there are two possibilities:

1) If you're going to offer low pay, the sad truth is that people are more likely to accept a job after an interview at low pay. If you post your low pay, no fish will bite.

2) An employer can negotiate the lowest pay they can get away with given the candidate's experience. If you post your high/low range of the pay scale, negotiable based on experience, then the least experienced folk may push to get the higher end of the pay scale. This isn't favourable from the employer's perspective.

It sucks for those of us applying for jobs though, and this is where the salary forum really comes in handy... but it depends on others willing to share their pay. I do wish we went back to the days of posting the company pay scale.

PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

There is another side to the coin as well - to a certain extent, what employees get paid is their own private business, not something that every employee might want made public.

In very large organizations (typically those covered by a collective agreement), the pay scales are made public simply because the collective agreement is also made public. However, in smaller organizations, or in cases where there is no collective agreement in place, North American practice in almost all industries (not just ours) has generally been to not make pay scales public.

Michael

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

They are not scared....they are embarassed

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

I would also like to see their schedules. I am qualified for a number of positions, but my circumstances preclude me from moving, unless I want a divorce. I am looking for rotations, up to 2 months on 1month off, so I don't apply and waste their and my time.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Sea Legs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sea Legs »

Lost Lake wrote:I would also like to see their schedules. I am qualified for a number of positions, but my circumstances preclude me from moving, unless I want a divorce. I am looking for rotations, up to 2 months on 1month off, so I don't apply and waste their and my time.
Apply to VAL, Transcapital, or Regional One if you want that schedule. They'll take someone like you I am sure. Good Luck.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

They should be up front with the pay and save the surprise for when the new employee gets to learn about the company's deplorable attitude towards safety.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

I agree.

Pay and schedule would save a lot of unnecessary applications and headaches on both ends.

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

KK7 wrote:I would guess that there are two possibilities:

1) If you're going to offer low pay, the sad truth is that people are more likely to accept a job after an interview at low pay. If you post your low pay, no fish will bite.

2) An employer can negotiate the lowest pay they can get away with given the candidate's experience. If you post your high/low range of the pay scale, negotiable based on experience, then the least experienced folk may push to get the higher end of the pay scale. This isn't favourable from the employer's perspective.

It sucks for those of us applying for jobs though, and this is where the salary forum really comes in handy... but it depends on others willing to share their pay. I do wish we went back to the days of posting the company pay scale.
It can also be beneficial if you do your research and know what your worth. Most job seekers in other lines of work do whatever they can to avoid talking about pay until the very end. If you impress the company at the interviews and they decide they want you, your bargaining power has just gone up.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

In Canada there are too many pilots for too few jobs. So the result is most employers will squeeze what they can from us. If you don't like it "there are 100 more waiting to take the job". :oops:

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote:They are not scared....they are embarassed
+1

HORUNNER
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by HORUNNER »

The only answer to this is for a sticky on the salary page and just like the list for bonded/promissary companies we start a pay scale list for all companies in canada one plane or fifty planes in their fleet
just post the wages

Anyone can do it, I just do it better ! ! !
pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Most companies that pay well and have good schedules don't have to advertise on this site - they have many qualified applicants actively trying to get a job there at all times. I've only seen a few good jobs advertised here over the years.

Perhaps AVCANADA should make a rule that if you want to advertise here for free you should have to state your WAGE and Schedule to obtain that wage, not just As per Company pay scale - that means nothing, except you know its crap.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

pilotidentity wrote:Most companies that pay well and have good schedules don't have to advertise on this site - they have many qualified applicants actively trying to get a job there at all times. I've only seen a few good jobs advertised here over the years.

Perhaps AVCANADA should make a rule that if you want to advertise here for free you should have to state your WAGE and Schedule to obtain that wage, not just As per Company pay scale - that means nothing, except you know its crap.

+1000000

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

pilotidentity wrote:Most companies that pay well and have good schedules don't have to advertise on this site - they have many qualified applicants actively trying to get a job there at all times. I've only seen a few good jobs advertised here over the years.
On a site that has people advise to fly right wing low with a left hand cross wind I am not surprised that you would see the low ball employment ads.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

On a site that has people advise to fly right wing low with a left hand cross wind I am not surprised that you would see the low ball employment ads.
Hit the jackpot!

On a scale of 1-10 I would rate the average ability of the "average" commercial pilot to be about 3.. hence the low pay.

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

many companies use the 'points method for pay it is the most common but it is subjective. well thought out ones use a kso based and a skills/ work environment/ knowledge/rfesponsibility. and several tools.

the reason many do not post is they do not want to let people know that they are lagging the market based on there pay line.
it is often an managerial strategy as part of the total compensation package and reward system.

many will hire new employees at below the line. and then work over time to get them to the line. the merit pay/performance or additional indirect pay is what allows top performers within an organization to exceed the line .

so if you wonder why your job scored say 650 points as an example and the cp scored 820 well this part of how they determine pay grades &pay ranges.

hope th 8) at helps

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Strega wrote:
Hit the jackpot!

On a scale of 1-10 I would rate the average ability of the "average" commercial pilot to be about 3.. hence the low pay.
Perhaps those who have lttle to no experience as a working 702/703/704/705 pilot are not the ones best equiped to comment on the "abilties" of professional pilots......

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Strega wrote:Hit the jackpot!

How would you know?

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

rhaps those who have lttle to no experience as a working 702/703/704/705 pilot are not the ones best equiped to comment on the "abilties" of professional pilots.
I have put more than enough time in to make this statement...

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.

Return to “Employment Forum”