Alkan Air?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flightsuite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Alkan Air?

Post by flightsuite »

1000 pic, 500 multi pic for f/o? Did they confuse their Be200 for an Airbus?
Good Luck in whitehorse.
---------- ADS -----------

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Alkan Air?

Post by Slats »

Wow, what a great, insightful and helpful post about Alkan Air.

I've only ever heard great things about Alkan and great things about Whitehorse.
What's the problem?

These pointless threads that include nothing but complaining about job ads are getting tiring, maybe we could start a "Bitchfest" forum so we can recognize and avoid reading whiny drivel.

Great first post. :roll:

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

If I were 20 or 30 years younger, and know what I know now, I'd be on that job instantly.

My time spent living in Whitehorse and flying for Air North in its early days were some of the best times of my life, and I strongly encourage anyone considering this company and location .... give some serious consideration to picking up on the opportunity.

Alkan operate some nice equipment, and if they want to set the bar at the 1,000 PIC 500 multi level, then more power to them for wanting to maintain a high standard in the operation and hiring future Captains. They obviously care a lot more about their customers and equipment than in making a temporary home for some wayward, wandering gypsy low timer to build some quick turbine hours and head on home to his girl in Toronto to apply to Jazz, and live in mom's basement again.

Again ... don't have any compunction about Whitehorse ... well, I'll admit the dead of winter can be lets say .... "somewhat harsh," but the summers more than compensate.

The Old (wistful) Fogducker

down north
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by down north »

Post like this are ignorant and annoying.
1000 hours pic with 500 multi pic is nothing! They should add northern/arctic/gravel experience an asset or even necessary.
Companies are not desperate for pilots these days and have the right to demand experience - especially in the north..
Whitehorse is an amazing place to live and be based. I hear this company is top notch.
Good luck finding an "Airbus" job with 1000 hours douche bag! Someone needs to be hit with a large dose of reality...

Last edited by down north on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
davesok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by davesok »

I completely agree with the post above!

redline7921
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by redline7921 »

I guess you forgot to read the last part of the post.
Job Description: Looking to hire 2 F/Os for the BE30/20. Preference will be given to those with 1900 plus hours, 500 multi PIC, 500 hours mountain time and a minimum of 1000 PIC to allow for potential Captain upgrade in the future.

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

This site has gotten absolutely asinine in the last few weeks; has anyone else noticed the increased frequency of "One Post Wonders"?

Also a word of advice, such as you flightsuite: Comprehension (i.e. redline7921's directed reference); use it to your advantage before making an ass of your anonymous self!

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

flightsuit

Avcanada has become IMO a pretty good site with most posters providing interesting and informative posts. Yours unfortunately does not fall into that catagory. Your second post is your oportunity to make a constructive contribution to this forum......don't waste the chance to show us you are not just another whiny wannabe......

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

flightsuite wrote:1000 pic, 500 multi pic for f/o? Did they confuse their Be200 for an Airbus?
Good Luck in whitehorse.
Recent graduate, are we? Have you been to Whitehorse? Have you ever left the city in which you currently reside?

Why am I replying to this? :roll:

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
modi13
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by modi13 »

Sounds like a 200 hour wonder who's pissed he doesn't meet the requirements for a job he's sure he's more than adequate to fill. The comment about Whitehorse leads me to believe he's from Vancouver or Toronto and has contempt for anything smaller than a metropolis, but would be willing to bring himself down to that level if the company would just realize that he's the greatest pilot in the history of anything.

flightsuite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flightsuite »

When I came through the industry pilots were being hired for dash 8's with that time. And according to their website they have pilots working the ramp....
Redline and aileron, this is my biggest issue with the ad; it implies only captains have the ability to be captain. Just saying it would be nice to see a good company (as everyone says they are) put a couple of young guys in the right seat and mentor them. I remember a time when someone took a chance on me, and if this is the type of experience companies require for an entry level position, I just don't think I would have made it.
I do apologize for the shot at whitehorse, I've spent most of my adult life in worse places. But yes, the "bitching" does get old and I regret having started it.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Your second post is your oportunity to make a constructive contribution to this forum.
flightsuite wrote:When I came through the industry pilots were being hired for dash 8's with that time. And according to their website they have pilots working the ramp....
Redline and aileron, this is my biggest issue with the ad; it implies only captains have the ability to be captain. Just saying it would be nice to see a good company (as everyone says they are) put a couple of young guys in the right seat and mentor them. I remember a time when someone took a chance on me, and if this is the type of experience companies require for an entry level position, I just don't think I would have made it.
I do apologize for the shot at whitehorse, I've spent most of my adult life in worse places. But yes, the "bitching" does get old and I regret having started it.
Well done. :wink:

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
glass1/2full
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by glass1/2full »

Would anyone know the taxation relief that applies in the north ?
If there is such a thing as Danger pay as I might have heard from few chaps that worked up north quite some time ago?
I heard various things, Danger pay, or a tax reduction, although living up north can be expensive in some aspects but not an area of my expertise for me. hence the post for the light to be shed from the peeps up north.

Can anyone confirm if there are any sort of tax exemptions and roughly what it would be ? if it even exists at all.

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

The Northern Living allowance. Basically, you can declare $15 per day per household or $7 per day per person as a tax deduction. There is also a travel deduction allowed for two trips out to a maximum of I think $2400. Thats it.

Also, Alkan does take on low time guys, it looks like they may require a quick upgrade this time.

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

glass1/2full wrote:Would anyone know the taxation relief that applies in the north ?
If there is such a thing as Danger pay as I might have heard from few chaps that worked up north quite some time ago?
I heard various things, Danger pay, or a tax reduction, although living up north can be expensive in some aspects but not an area of my expertise for me. hence the post for the light to be shed from the peeps up north.

Can anyone confirm if there are any sort of tax exemptions and roughly what it would be ? if it even exists at all.

I don't think you will get any danger pay.

Wonderdog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wonderdog »

As an engineer, I love working with 5000 hr co-pilots in the territories. So does the customer.

Have fun folks,
SMcL.

LPV
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LPV »

The company has the right to ask for whatever qualifications it wants.
That being said...

To ask 500 MPIC to sit in the right seat of a king air...hurts everyone starting out. Nevermind the guys on the ramp.

Don't forget where you came from. If they wanted captains from other companies to apply....they should have asked.

my 2 cents

LPV

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Hey Flightsuite,
Maybe you're one of the Seneca grads from back east who thinks it's cool to stick a 200 hour wonder in the right seat of a 260kt King Air while flying in mountainous terrain. Mount Logan is only 20,000ft tall. My point is, I wouldn't mind some experience helping me make decisions that might save a life.

Go get some experience.

johnholmes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by johnholmes »

Who cares about the landscape. There's published approaches. I've flown in their a few times and you don't need a 1000 hours to do so as a co joe. Way to many idiots on this site imho. But WTF do I know. No wonder so many people with good, valued opinions prefer not to post on this site. I guess I'm a sucker.

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

johnholmes wrote: Way to many idiots on this site imho. But WTF do I know.
No kidding. They have a 172 and 206 and every other jackass here thinks the King Air should be the "entry level" job.

Return to “Employment Forum”