Any current info on perimeter?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Any current info on perimeter?

Post by jpar84 »

BEFAN5 wrote:Or you could apply now. The ramp manager doesn't care if you have an IATRA :lol:

Yes thats a good point :smt040

cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Flygal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flygal »

BEFAN5 wrote:Or you could apply now. The ramp manager doesn't care if you have an IATRA :lol:
I will throw my opinion in the ring, but the others have pretty much touched on the issues I wanted to.

-As a Class 4 you won't get a job Multi-IFR instructing. Working full time ramp and part time instructing will get old pretty fast too. The flight schools around YAV won't even hire a part timer last time I checked. Even trying to get a full time job with them would be hard, most of them hire their own grads anyways.

-Apply tomorrow for any job at Perimeter.
a) You'll make more money on the ground then you will instructing.
b) If you write you IATRA you're marketable on not only the metro 2/beech 99, but also the metro 3.
c) The experience you will gain just being around the planes, crews and operation will be invaluable.

-You have a choice to either take the instructing route or the Perimeter route. I would say take the P route.
If you instruct while climbing the ladder of hours and poverty, you will eventually get hired as a F/O on a twin turbine in some random place you've only heard about on avcanada. That's the best case scenario, you might end up on a single or a single turbine if you are desperate. All the while you'll be making next to no money living somewhere you probably hate working two weeks on, one week off.
Or you could:
Work the ground at Perimeter in one of a variety of different departments. Yes Winnipeg winters are cold and the ramp can be miserable when it's -30c outside, but you will be making a decent wage and a means to an end. You will work the ground for a MAX of two years. Having the IATRA will help things move quicker, because they will go down the "ground" seniority list until they hit someone who has their IATRA for the metro 3 spots. Lots of guys do not have the hours or exam completed, so this will work in your benefit.

This is just my opinion. I'm not trashing instructors, in fact I have a lot of respect for them. All I am saying is take a look at your options. It always surprises me how many people are so quick to dismiss Perimeter as a starting place. I have yet to find a better starting option then Perimeter.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Listen to flygal, she knows what she is talking about... I took her advise (and other helpful people on here) a little over 6 months ago and moved to the peg to work for Perimeter, best decision ever.... Good company, great people, reasonable and friendly management and a positive environment. I don't think there is a better place to start a career to be honest.

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that I would get a ramp position at Perimeter and try to instruct elsewhere on the side. Whichever path I take I intend to give it my full commitment. I thought I had read somewhere that some instructors at Perimeter also did shifts on the ramp so that is what I was asking about, but I can tell that is not the case. So I think I will take everyone's advice and apply now at perimeter for the ramp and keep looking for instructing jobs in the meantime. Then if I do get chosen I suppose where I end up will depend on my experience at the time, if i am still relatively low time then ramp or reservations it will be but if its a year or two down the road and I have 1000TT+ with some ifr instructing under my belt then maybe I can qualify as an instructor. This is what I am thinking anyway.

Is it really next to impossible to get an interview without reccommend though, because I don't know anybody there.

Thanks everyone
cheers

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

Flygal wrote:
I will throw my opinion in the ring, but the others have pretty much touched on the issues I wanted to.

-As a Class 4 you won't get a job Multi-IFR instructing. Working full time ramp and part time instructing will get old pretty fast too. The flight schools around YAV won't even hire a part timer last time I checked. Even trying to get a full time job with them would be hard, most of them hire their own grads anyways.

-Apply tomorrow for any job at Perimeter.
a) You'll make more money on the ground then you will instructing.
b) If you write you IATRA you're marketable on not only the metro 2/beech 99, but also the metro 3.
c) The experience you will gain just being around the planes, crews and operation will be invaluable.

-You have a choice to either take the instructing route or the Perimeter route. I would say take the P route.
If you instruct while climbing the ladder of hours and poverty, you will eventually get hired as a F/O on a twin turbine in some random place you've only heard about on avcanada. That's the best case scenario, you might end up on a single or a single turbine if you are desperate. All the while you'll be making next to no money living somewhere you probably hate working two weeks on, one week off.
Or you could:
Work the ground at Perimeter in one of a variety of different departments. Yes Winnipeg winters are cold and the ramp can be miserable when it's -30c outside, but you will be making a decent wage and a means to an end. You will work the ground for a MAX of two years. Having the IATRA will help things move quicker, because they will go down the "ground" seniority list until they hit someone who has their IATRA for the metro 3 spots. Lots of guys do not have the hours or exam completed, so this will work in your benefit.

This is just my opinion. I'm not trashing instructors, in fact I have a lot of respect for them. All I am saying is take a look at your options. It always surprises me how many people are so quick to dismiss Perimeter as a starting place. I have yet to find a better starting option then Perimeter.
Thanks Flygal, the perimeter path makes sense to me, I defintely agree with you, hard to believe so many dismiss it.

cheers to a great post!

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

just sent my stuff in, if there's no job posted is there still a chance they'd give me a call?

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

goleafsgo wrote:just sent my stuff in, if there's no job posted is there still a chance they'd give me a call?

Not if you're a leafs fan :lol:

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

jpar84 wrote:
goleafsgo wrote:just sent my stuff in, if there's no job posted is there still a chance they'd give me a call?

Not if you're a leafs fan :lol:
Jets are my third team after calgary lol :happy:

rjonno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rjonno »

Just to reiterate what has already been said, If you are applying at Perimeter for a job on the ground, do your best to apply for the job you have applied for. That is to say, don't go in to your ramp interview rambling on about how great a pilot you'll be one day - show them what kind of ramp employee you can be. Once you are in and have learned the ramp/cargo/reservations for a few months then start thinking about the pilot hiring list.

I can confirm pretty well all the positive stuff being said about Perimeter in this thread - as far as entry level jobs go, its hard to beat flying a 16000lb lawndart with 250tt.

rocco1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocco1 »

there is not any entry level direct 250 tt at perimeter as most of everybody said. I was an instructor on a single I`ve been an instructor on the twin at perimeter. But if I have to make a suggestion is go the ramp...it is faster career then be an instructor. Plus, you dont need any raccomandetion to get jobs in the ramp.. only willing to work hard on the winter cold. good luck

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

What are everyones thoughts on doing a Multi/IFR through Perimeter, as opposed to showing up having it done already? I understand that they hire from within...

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 126.75 »

I would suggest doing your IFR at Perimeter. Not only will you get to know people who work there but also Perimeter is one of the better schools to get your IFR done. Even if you don't land a job at Perimeter many people have gotten jobs later at fast air/Keewatin etc...

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

:?:

Hey Guys,

Regarding the Perimeter application. At the end of the application there is a section to attach your resume. The attachment must contain only one word doc, I gather I can put my references on a second page as well as listing those applicable in the employment history section. With regards to a cover letter howerver, Do you think it would be too much to include one as a front page to the document. I always keep them short and to the point, but I am wondering if Perimeter put the limit on number of documents and document size because a cover letter is overkill for them considering the number of applications they have.

Any and all opinions are much appreciated.

cheers
JP

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

I too am curious about working the ramp at Perimeter. I would be giving up a flying job to switch over to the ramp, which seems like a gamble to me. Anyone have an opinion on this? Potentially after a year, I could be right seat on a Metro, which is a lot farther than I would be without working the ramp.

This brings up a question though, I read that you are applying for a ramp position, and will be hired for the ramp position. From inside, you then apply for the pilot list. Is it guaranteed that you get your name on the pilot list? Could you be hired as a "rampie" and be stuck working on the ramp with no hopes of ever making it onto the pilot list?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

your date of hire on the ramp automatically puts you on the pilot wait list. It is possible to be a life time rampy if you don't take the initiative to study and be prepared for a sim eval while on the ramp. They aren't expecting you to fly the plane perfectly but they want a good systems knowledge as well as proper IFR skills. Some guys have been passed over on the ramp because they never studied and seemed to have an entitlement since since they were up next on the list only for the company to take someone that was behind them but has been working hard and was completely up on systems and aircraft knowledge.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

How much flying do the new guys usually do in a month once they start flying?

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Flygal wrote:I have yet to find a better starting option then Perimeter.
iamnomaverick wrote:I don't think there is a better place to start a career to be honest.
While I can appreciate the positivity, how do you know there isn't a better place to start? How many 703/04 companies have you worked for? How do you know Air Sprint, Sunwest, Pacific Coastal, Georgian, Cariboo etc aren't better?

I wouldn't go around making the statement that Perimeter is the best place to start, because that's as bold a statement as I've ever seen and it's frankly a matter of personal opinion. I'm pretty sure an Ontarian would believe Georgian is the best place to start or a British Columbian would say CMA.

I don't mean to torpedo the thread, I'm happy to see some positivity here. Just bugs me when people make these statements when they know nothing (but MAYBE word of mouth) about other companies and their benefits to peoples careers.

Carry on :goodman:

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172pilot »

Do Pacific Coastal and Georgian have ramp/dispatch to FO opportunities similiar to CMA/Perimeter?

Flygal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flygal »

New pilots get lots of hours in their first month due to line-indoc. All working days are scheduled blocks to get through the line-indoc syllabus in a timely manner.

rooster wrote:
iamnomaverick wrote:I don't think there is a better place to start a career to be honest.
While I can appreciate the positivity, how do you know there isn't a better place to start? How many 703/04 companies have you worked for? How do you know Air Sprint, Sunwest, Pacific Coastal, Georgian, Cariboo etc aren't better?

I wouldn't go around making the statement that Perimeter is the best place to start, because that's as bold a statement as I've ever seen and it's frankly a matter of personal opinion. I'm pretty sure an Ontarian would believe Georgian is the best place to start or a British Columbian would say CMA.

I don't mean to torpedo the thread, I'm happy to see some positivity here. Just bugs me when people make these statements when they know nothing (but MAYBE word of mouth) about other companies and their benefits to peoples careers.

While I can see how you think I am biased and have no other real world knowledge, I assure you I do. Before I made my move to Winnipeg/Perimeter many years ago I did a lot of research. I looked at everything: bonds, health of company, salary (pilot and ramp), location, benefits, working contract, management, maintenance and quality of training. Perimeter came out on top. Even if you JUST compare salaries at all levels (F/O, Capt., Medevac), the green takes the cake. Add to that no bond at all, a EIC stock that keeps gaining, a comprehensive health and extended benefits plan, an air tight contract, A++ training and a management team that actually cares about you.

Researching other companies at the time was pretty easy. Salaries and benefits are pretty much aired out to dry on these boards, so gathering your knowledge base isn't hard.

I have college friends who fly for some of the others you mentioned. They all agree that Perimeter is all around the best bet. We have a lot of people from both Ontario and BC working for us. I guess they must be wrong too.

I'm not forcing you to do anything. Just research it if you don't believe me. The decisions early on in your career can change the course of your life.

I'm not trying to insult other companies either. Just comparisons.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Flygal wrote:New pilots get lots of hours in their first month due to line-indoc. All working days are scheduled blocks to get through the line-indoc syllabus in a timely manner.

rooster wrote:

While I can see how you think I am biased and have no other real world knowledge, I assure you I do. Before I made my move to Winnipeg/Perimeter many years ago I did a lot of research. I looked at everything: bonds, health of company, salary (pilot and ramp), location, benefits, working contract, management, maintenance and quality of training. Perimeter came out on top. Even if you JUST compare salaries at all levels (F/O, Capt., Medevac), the green takes the cake. Add to that no bond at all, a EIC stock that keeps gaining, a comprehensive health and extended benefits plan, an air tight contract, A++ training and a management team that actually cares about you.

Researching other companies at the time was pretty easy. Salaries and benefits are pretty much aired out to dry on these boards, so gathering your knowledge base isn't hard.

I have college friends who fly for some of the others you mentioned. They all agree that Perimeter is all around the best bet. We have a lot of people from both Ontario and BC working for us. I guess they must be wrong too.

I'm not forcing you to do anything. Just research it if you don't believe me. The decisions early on in your career can change the course of your life.

I'm not trying to insult other companies either. Just comparisons.
For the most part I agree with you. However, it is in fact a matter of personal opinion and it's based on the individual as much as the company. Georgian in fact does hire low time guys. My sim partner had 300 hours. All from his college. So he is in fact starting here and for him, being an Ontarian, he see's no better opportunity.

I do know a couple guys from Perimeter and one f/o that's now with us seemed to enjoy her time. I would definitely recommend that place (though I have no experience working there) to low timers looking to kick start their careers. But there are also other opportunities. As common sense would indicate, do your research.

Good positive thread ps.

Return to “Employment Forum”