Flight Crew Positions Voyageur

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Flight Crew Positions Voyageur

Post by fingersmac »

You're question has already been answered. Re-read KK7's posts.
---------- ADS -----------

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

KK7 speaks the truth about Voyager. I have several friends wHo are there and say its a good place to get turbine time. The bond sucks but what can you say. Pilots are always lookin for better jobs its natural guys think about jumping ship. A year goes by quick, especially when you are making monies tax free out of the country. You get a PPC & type rating in a CRJ or Dash eight, upgrade on short order an see the world.

Dhc6to8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dhc6to8 »

What countries are Voyageur operating in? I know a few typed guys who might want to get in on a gig.
Thanks!
6to8

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Yup, all bonds suck, but as I said it's better than paying for your job or your training. For me, I already knew what overseas work was like, and had a pretty good idea what the job was all about, so sticking around for at least one year was not a big deal. But if you're not sure if this lifestyle is for you, and you don't think you could stick it out for a year if you hate it, then don't bother because you'll get burned in the end.

When I first interviewed at VAL, I was pretty sure I was not going to accept any offer mainly based on the things I read on this forum. Thankfully, I asked lots of questions at the interview and every step of the way. I read company documentation very carefully, the employment contract very carefully and did my research. Likewise, although I am trying to put out the facts as best I can, this is mainly based on my own experience and observations over the years. Use this as a guide if you like, but don't take my word for it, ask questions and confirm information you have heard straight from the horse's mouth.

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

KK7 wrote:Yup, all bonds suck, but as I said it's better than paying for your job or your training. For me, I already knew what overseas work was like, and had a pretty good idea what the job was all about, so sticking around for at least one year was not a big deal. But if you're not sure if this lifestyle is for you, and you don't think you could stick it out for a year if you hate it, then don't bother because you'll get burned in the end.

When I first interviewed at VAL, I was pretty sure I was not going to accept any offer mainly based on the things I read on this forum. Thankfully, I asked lots of questions at the interview and every step of the way. I read company documentation very carefully, the employment contract very carefully and did my research. Likewise, although I am trying to put out the facts as best I can, this is mainly based on my own experience and observations over the years. Use this as a guide if you like, but don't take my word for it, ask questions and confirm information you have heard straight from the horse's mouth.
Cool stuff man. Thats good to hear.

And how many KingAirs Does Voyager still have doing medevacs here in Canada? Is hiring for that seprate.?? Reason I ask is because know a year ago you lost a bunch but wondering if any are left?

And IF I get hired, can I transfer between fleets? Do more guys want overseas work or the medevac KingAir? Tax free money is tempting.

raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

The only kingairs operating for VAL are in Moncton. From what I've heard there is not a lot of movement out of that base as the folks there tend to like it. If you come to VAL you can bet on working overseas. Occasionally there is domestic work, but the lions share of our work in overseas. Cheers.

COMETer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by COMETer »

raven54 wrote:The only kingairs operating for VAL are in Moncton. From what I've heard there is not a lot of movement out of that base as the folks there tend to like it. If you come to VAL you can bet on working overseas. Occasionally there is domestic work, but the lions share of our work in overseas. Cheers.

Thanks! I see the Moncton one alot, even talked to some of the guys there once a while ago. Wasn't sure if there was more KingAirs. So its likely to be overseas if I go Voyager.

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

From the point of hire how long does it typically take to get to operational flying?

Where do the groundschools and sim take place?

Are hotels paid for while training?

Do you get any form of salary while training?

Are the 2 month rotations based on calender months or 60 days or 8 weeks (56 days)?

Thanks for the other detailed information that has been provided.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

ehbuddy wrote:From the point of hire how long does it typically take to get to operational flying?
It takes a minimum of two months usually, unless you are already trained on the aircraft. There is a couple of weeks of company indoc and a couple of weeks of aircraft ground school and one week of aircraft sim. What it really depends on is the rotation schedule. They have to fit people into an existing overseas schedule which is a mish-mash between aircraft and bases. Plus they have to line you up with someone to do your line indoc so they can't just throw you into the rotation anywhere.
Where do the groundschools and sim take place?
Company indoc is in North Bay, and I think the aircraft groundschool is in North Bay as well, and the sim in is Toronto.
Are hotels paid for while training?
Yes, get to love the Travelodge in North Bay and Toronto, which have nearly identical looking rooms. You will occasionally wake up not remembering which city you're in.
Do you get any form of salary while training?
Yes, and per diem.
Are the 2 month rotations based on calender months or 60 days or 8 weeks (56 days)?
We commonly refer to it as 2 on 2 off, but in fact the rotations are based on 8 weeks, give or take some days depending on flights in and out of the base.
Thanks for the other detailed information that has been provided.
My pleasure, glad to update some of the ridiculously outdated and erroneous information. However keep in mind like I said before - all this is subject to change, especially the more detailed info I just gave in this post. Things do change and they may decide to do things differently. I'm not anywhere near management, I'm just a simple line pilot and these are my experiences and observations.

Dhc6to8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dhc6to8 »

So, I would like to ask again... one of the most important questions that nobody seems to be expanding on: what countries does Voyageur operate in currently? Please elaborate...
Thanks again,
6to8

Captain Kangaroo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Captain Kangaroo »

Dhc6to8 wrote:So, I would like to ask again... one of the most important questions that nobody seems to be expanding on: what countries does Voyageur operate in currently? Please elaborate...
Thanks again,
6to8
Google is your friend...

Voyageur AirwaysFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Founded 1968
Fleet size 25[1]
Destinations
Headquarters North Bay, Ontario
Key people Max Shapiro, President
Website http://www.voyageurairways.com

Voyageur Airways is an airline based in North Bay, Ontario, Canada that commenced operations in 1968. Along with air charters they also repair and maintain aircraft and an air ambulance service. They also provide ground handling, fuel services and terminal services at the North Bay/Jack Garland Airport. They are known to provide chartered aircraft to the United Nations and NATO, for operations in places such as Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Chad, Ivory Coast and Sudan. These aircraft are usually STOL Dash-7s, as they often operate off of unprepared or short airfields. Both Dash 8s and CRJ200s are used in these operations as well.

This is accurate

CK

AZ382
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AZ382 »

Kinshasa DRC - 2X CRJ
Goma DRC - DHC8
Bukavu DRC - DHC8
Khartoum Sudan - 2X CRJ
El Fasher Sudan - CRJ
Nyala Sudan - DHC8
Abijan Ivory Coast - DHC7
Khandahar Afganistan - DHC7

Also a few new developments with DHC7/DHC8 coming up.

wyndham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wyndham »

on their website it says the min for CRJ/dash F/O's is 1000TT, 500MPIC and atpl. Does anyone know if that 500MPIC is a hard limit? I know its been on there a long time well prior to the job ad. I'm well under 500MPIC but have 3000tt and well over 1000 turbine. Thanks for all the previous info as well.

Last edited by wyndham on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

wyndham wrote:on their website it says the min for CRJ/dash F/O's is 1000TT, 500MPIC and atpl. Does anyone know if that 500MPIC is a hard limit? I know its been on there a long time well prior to the job ad. I'm under 250MPIC but have near 3000 tt and over 1000 turbine. Thanks for all the previous info as well.
I don't think it is, from my observation. But I assume it largely depends on the candidate pool.

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

AZ382 wrote:Kinshasa DRC - 2X CRJ
Goma DRC - DHC8
Bukavu DRC - DHC8
Khartoum Sudan - 2X CRJ
El Fasher Sudan - CRJ
Nyala Sudan - DHC8
Abijan Ivory Coast - DHC7
Khandahar Afganistan - DHC7

Also a few new developments with DHC7/DHC8 coming up.
Is the current employment ad geared towards this new development or the current bases and equipment? Can you shed some light on what is in the works?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

ehbuddy wrote:
AZ382 wrote: Also a few new developments with DHC7/DHC8 coming up.
Is the current employment ad geared towards this new development or the current bases and equipment? Can you shed some light on what is in the works?
I'd be curious to know too. This news has yet to filter down to most employees overseas...

AZ382
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AZ382 »

I imagine the employment ad would entail everything and is not specific to new development locations. Ad lists DHC7/8 and CRJ.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I think most of the bad stuff said about Voyageur comes from the days of N. Ontario medevacs. Pilot pay was abysmal and the bond was hefty. Most guys did it just for the opportunity to get some quick turbine time or slide into the overseas work. So now that the overseas stuff if the primary focus for pilots, it seems like a better deal (if that kind of lifestyle fits yours).

4930's
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 4930's »

Any info on the need for overseas site manager. Pay? locations? duties?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

4930's wrote:Any info on the need for overseas site manager. Pay? locations? duties?
There was a desperate need not long ago, but I don't know if this is still the case. Send in your resume though, it never hurts to apply. Salary is typically somewhere between $40K-$50K I think, but don't quote me on that. Main duties is the funnel of communication between the crew and the UN and back. The crew typically does not deal with the UN directly. Other main duties include logistics from getting supplies for the crew to paying the bills to the local landlord and vehicle rental companies. Some newcomers to the job are under the impression that they are a manager in the sense that they run the show, when in fact they are more on par with building manager where they are in charge of all the peripheral duties that nowone else does. Pilots fly, flight attendants do the cabin stuff, engineers fix, do paperwork and ship stuff, site manager does everything else. It can be a busy and often thankless job depending on the base, but very rewarding if you're the kind of person who can appreciate setting their own goals and accomplishing them without many others noticing.

Return to “Employment Forum”