Pilot Trainees

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Pilot Trainees

Post by xsbank »

Climbto350.com has an ad for the above. I am not a member but there might be something there for somebody? Don't know anything about it.

How 'bout somebody posting it?
---------- ADS -----------

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

Canadian Armed Forces

"It's doing it again"

canoe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by canoe »

When are the forces going to drop the 20/20 uncorrected stuff?

BusDriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BusDriver »

And drop that university degree BULLS#IT while there at it!

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

funny how they are in need of pilots but they won't drop the 20/20 requirement. Beggars can't be choosers!

Howitzer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Howitzer »

I agree, university degree should be scrapped, I would seriously consider it if it was. My 2 cents.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

everyone these days is giving 2 cents, i just might have enough to buy a PPC on something with this :P I agree, some of the requirements are crazy. 20/20 to fly a challenger when someone get get a job on a challenger without 20/20 uncorrected and probably get paid more. besides who wants a desk job anyways, thats probably where theyll start you. :cry:

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

i agree the degree thing has to go, the vision thing, fine if you are going to fly fighters, but transport, cmon. lets get serious guys, if you are desperate for pilots then lets be realistic, its not that prestigios of a job, its just an airplane

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
Airflow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Airflow »

Hey There bizjet_mania

Not only would you get paid more on civi street, but fly more too!!

Flight instruction is long hours of sheer boredom with short moments of stark terror!

A small correction early is better than a large correction late.
--- Aviation proverb
groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

I believe that to be an officer in the Armed Forces, which a pilot is, you need to hold a 4-year bachalor's degree; so I would expect to see that dropped anytime soon.

scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

Sea King Co-pilot, approx 10hrs a month ( I know, just beating up the sky ), just under 500hrs total time, 250hrs turbine and I make around $75,000.
Not only would you get paid more on civi street, but fly more too!!
Fly more for sure, but 75 large is pretty good jack for 500TT.

I could see the vision requirement going away as ppl are no longer knocking down doors to join but I think they've insisted on a degree for the last five years or so.

bogey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bogey »

I think the degree requirement is a good idea.

It doesn't have anything to do with flying, it just proves to them that you can accomplish a goal.

Federally
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Federally »

So does getting your Licenses and Ratings....

snag
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by snag »

They could drop the 20/20 requirement and the university thing.

Then they will ask that you have to buy the F18 or Herc PPC so that ALL the new Aviation College grads will apply...

Good luck with that

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Most of the vets I know do not have degrees. The reasoning, I think, for a degree, is to prove you can study - than and the fact that you will probably be a base commander in 10 or 15 years and need some management skills. You do more than just airplane driving, which is what most of you lot just want to do.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
lowandslow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowandslow »

Yes, they require a 4 year degree,
Yes, they want 20/20 vision
Yes, you will have non flying related duties.
The Air Force is not a flying club for you to just sign up with. They couldn't care less that little Johnny thinks its unfair that they are asking for things he doesn't have.
If you don't like it, go do something else. Your instructor should have told you life isn't fair.....
:P

Hun IN the SUN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hun IN the SUN »

I said it before and ill say it again

Take your 4 year Degree and shove it so far up your ass!!!!!!!!!!

wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

i 2nd that

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
Sideshow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sideshow »

Canadian Forces really isn't 'that' in need of pilots. They do need pilots but not that bad that they are going to drop the 20/20 and degree. Basically the pilot job advertisement thing is also a draw to get you to think about joining the forces in general whatever the position they can get you to sign up for.

Also they are trying to bring back former RCAF pilots because it is cheaper to retrain guys. Those are the pilots they were going to waive the University degree for. Unfortunately when they did drop the University requirement they got so many applications that they said screw it there's too many people applying so they shut the whole thing down. There were guys ready to go for their Air crew selection process and everything but it all got cancelled because they couldn't deal with the administration load.

From my forces interview I got the feeling they were more interested in Officers more than Pilots. The average CF-18 pilot logs 187.5Hr per year. I think I got that stat from Wings magazine maybe feb edition of this year.

Rumour has it that the last batch of eligible pilots all had masters degrees or honours physics B.Sc as well as ATPLs There were about 12 of them applying for 8 positions or something stupid like that. Most of those positions well result in helicopter positions.

The results of my time chasing the Canadian Forces dream was they offered me a position as a MARS officer. Maritime Navigator. I said... oh so it's like being a non flying navigator, only slower.

My recomentation is if you want to fly and shoot at people go see Uncle Sam. But if you do get in The RCAF, good for you, you have my respect for sure and make sure you post some Photos!

...and then I got paid to fly....
Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

bogey wrote:I think the degree requirement is a good idea.

It doesn't have anything to do with flying, it just proves to them that you can accomplish a goal.
I agree, plus helps to train a more accomplished and knowledgeable officer (=manager)
Federally wrote:So does getting your Licenses and Ratings....
Hun IN the SUN wrote: I said it before and ill say it again

I can't believe that people actually think that getting Pilot licenses is an accomplishment comparable to getting a degree, even in Arts...My BBA/MBA was the hardest thing ever to obtain and my CPL, the easiest.

That's also the reason why you need an aevrage GPA of 3.7/4 to get into a BBA/MBA while you only need 40K for the CPL...

The job outlook is not the same either...

I say, an Officer is a Manager, then a Degree is a plus! (not that non-university types can't manage, but don't tell me that if you went to business school for instance, you wouldn't learn a thing or two that would benifit your working habits...)

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett

Return to “Employment Forum”