SkyNorth. MU2

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

SkyNorth. MU2

Post by Brown Bear »

Signing bonus? This is more like it! You get what you pay for. Nice to see a company that has this figured out. KUDOS.
:bear: :bear:
---------- ADS -----------

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: SkyNorth. MU2

Post by tdp19 »

Brown Bear wrote:Signing bonus? This is more like it! You get what you pay for. Nice to see a company that has this figured out. KUDOS.
I don't think they can get qualified guys, their has been around a posting a month from skynorth looking for mu2 captains.

FL767
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL767 »

Signing bonuses are a great idea.

However this outfit has been posting for Captains every month for the last year... Maybe its time they up their WAWCON.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

FL767 wrote:Maybe its time they up their WAWCON
Perhaps, but... It's still infinitely better than all of the latest LCC's.

I only flew medevacs for a handful of months, and it really wasn't my cup of tea (not at skynorth). The pay was decent, lots of time off, home almost every night (except when those 1am vancouver flights came up), it was a good gig... but I hated it. That on call flying is not for everyone. I hope they find the right crew, seems like a decent job.

E

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Are they on call 24-7, or is it a day/night on call shift?

If you want medevac crews to stick around, split the day and allow them a time to get proper rest. Going to bed at 11pm, not knowing when to sleep and having the phone ring at 11:20pm is a terrible feeling.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

I'm not sure on Skynorths schedule, but my limited experience on medevac was not pleasant for that very reason.

E

FL767
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL767 »

One of the great tragedies of Aviation is that the "Pulp-mill workers" schedule of 4 on/4 off 12 hour shifts, one roation days one roation nights never worked for Medevacs. But if any Medevac company can make a predictable liveable schedule work, they will enjoy VERY slow pilot movement.

Medevacs are certainly not for every one. But if you can stand the work you have build a great life, waking up at 2 am to fly stinks - but still better than working at a bank.

$71k/year is very low for a Medevac captain, I hope they throw generous per/diems or mileage on top of that.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

FL767 wrote:
Medevacs are certainly not for every one. But if you can stand the work you have build a great life, waking up at 2 am to fly stinks - but still better than working at a bank.
I disagree with the bank part. 24 hours on call and I was ready to tear up my license after two years. If someone had offered me a decent job at a bank back then, I would have taken it. But I'm not horny for airplanes the way most people on this site are.

You try to nap in the day, and the call doesn't come, so you're up late at night, that's when the early morning call comes. You go to bed at a regular hour and the call comes 20 minutes after you close your eyes. Of course, the plan is a 12 hour duty that usually gets extended.

Just try pulling the "I'm not fit to fly" maneuver with some operations. Doesn't work. Hopefully this operator isn't like that.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

How about 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. They might have qualified people knocking the doors down.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

pelmet wrote:How about 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. They might have qualified people knocking the doors down.
When i flew medevac it was a two week on two off rotation BUT it was 24/7 when there. It wasn't all its cracked up to be.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

tdp19 wrote:
pelmet wrote:How about 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. They might have qualified people knocking the doors down.
When i flew medevac it was a two week on two off rotation BUT it was 24/7 when there. It wasn't all its cracked up to be.
It is a lifestyle adjustment for sure, but if you're based in som S hole, with good books and WIFI, you just relax till the phone rings, knowing that you can REALLY SLEEP when you return. Been there. Done that. NEVER AGAIN. Still, for some.....

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Problem many smaller operators are having, is guys realistically qualified to do the job, already have jobs they like....?

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

If you want medevac crews to stick around, split the day and allow them a time to get proper rest. Going to bed at 11pm, not knowing when to sleep and having the phone ring at 11:20pm is a terrible feeling.
Brrrrrrr.... give's me shivers just thinking back to those days.

When I hear the old Samsung flip phone default ring tone my heart rate still races.

Return to “Employment Forum”