Needing some employment ideas and tips

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Carpie1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Needing some employment ideas and tips

Post by Carpie1 »

Hi there,

I am an ATPL rated pilot with 2200 hours total time in piston planes, with little MPIC though. I had been flying in the charter industry throughout the northeast, and did a variety of other types of work including parcel, aerial sign, occasional jumper flying, and photo work. However, i took a break from consistent commercial flying for a few years. Now I'm trying to get back into the industry though and im finding it hard to get anyone's attention. I went to several interviews last year with Air Georgian and a couple of other operators but at the end of the day it seemed that people were nervous or believing i had forgotten how to fly. I'm guessing either that or people think i'm too old to be a first officer (late 30s). A previous employer suggested that it might be strange for me to fly with a younger captain. I don't really believe that. Anyhow, i have been flying all the while these last few years, i have a fresh multi IFR, and did some extra simulator training on a mechtronix king air simulator. To prove my skills i made some videos of my simulator sessions that show my IFR skills are up to date and I am attaching them to emails i send out. My last instrument ride examiner suggested that would look strange, but since last year didn't work out the traditional way i'm giving it a shot. I am applying to all operators not only those with turbine aircraft. I am getting old for the airlines so i would be glad to find a job flying a BN2 and maybe heading down south when i have some MPIC. So far not much more response. I have a resume up in the hire me forum too. Now that I have expended all this money on extra sim training etc, what else can I do to improve my chances? The mechtronix training used up quite a bit of credit so i'm not sure i can afford a long road trip! Any advice would be appreciated...Thanks!
Here is an example of one of the videos i attached to my emails.

Mechtronix BE20 ILS 07 Ottawa with engine failure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRhhBMmf ... e=youtu.be
---------- ADS -----------

esp803

Re: Needing some employment ideas and tips

Post by esp803 »

This is an interesting post, and an interesting technique for applying for a job. I'll be honest I've never seen a video attached to a resume.

That being said...

I'm not sure that one particular video is going to help your case in proving your abilities as a proficient IFR pilot. I'm not an expert of IFR by any means, I do get concerned though when you break out on an ILS with what looks like (It may be an illusion) a 20-30 degree bank angle. Also, calling field in sight to the right is concerning, I would expect it to be more or less dead center. You seem nervous and jumping in the sim. I'm not going to pick this apart anymore, but to me it would seem like a poor decision to continue to put this particular video on your resume.

As for the emphasis on the sim training, it is good that you are keeping up with your IFR in the sim! But... Unless it's a Class C or D I'm not sure that it adds much to your resume? I could be wrong on this as I'm not in a position to hire people.

Keep on applying, something will come up eventually.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I thought of a few bits of advice for you at first glance. Although you are persistent, your enthusiasm may be a little misguided.

Tip #1: you might want to rethink having your references names and phones numbers plastered on the inter web, unless you have their permission to do so. There would certainly be some privacy issues for some.

Tip #2: Many people will not see your paying for BE20 sim training as a positive but rather a significant negative about your "character" as some many think it is just crass to do so. So having it be such a significant influence on your post here, resume and cover letter could be hurting you drastically. You will have to research and tailor each resume to each employer to exacerbate or eliminate the effect of paying for training on individual employers.

Tip #3: The examiner was right, sending links to your sim sessions, that you paid for, seems desperate and amateur. Reputable Airlines and companies that you should WANT to work for are looking for professionals and future captains, not a video game player.
esp803 wrote:
I'm not sure that one particular video is going to help your case in proving your abilities as a proficient IFR pilot. I'm not an expert of IFR by any means, I do get concerned though when you break out on an ILS with what looks like (It may be an illusion) a 20-30 degree bank angle. Also, calling field in sight to the right is concerning, I would expect it to be more or less dead center. You seem nervous and jumping in the sim. I'm not going to pick this apart anymore, but to me it would seem like a poor decision to continue to put this particular video on your resume.
I am also no expert here, but agree with all the above and also, I see that the video has been edited and jumps a bit and catch you saying "correcting" right after it jumps at the 1:05 mark. So clearly there was something you didn't want others to see. I would hesitate on sending these videos along if this is representative of all of them?

Last edited by cdnpilot77 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushhopper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bushhopper »

right, asking for free training also looks good for the motivation.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

cdnpilot77 wrote:
I am also no expert here, but agree with all the above and also, I see that the video has been edited and jumps a bit and catch you saying "correcting" right after it jumps at the 1:05 mark. So clearly there was something you didn't want others to see. I would hesitate on sending these videos along if this is representative of all of them?
Interesting, I had typed a typo there... I had meant to say "jumpy" not "jumping". But after re watching the video a couple times around the 1 minute mark... I would STRONGLY discourage sending this in with your resume. Remember single pilot IFR commercially REQUIRES an autopilot. The best advice I ever got for single pilot IFR was: Use the autopilot.

E

Carpie1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Carpie1 »

Good advice, thanks for the replies... i will reconsider the Mechtronix engine failure video, and the reference privacy issues. I have been persistent but needing to try some different things because nothing has come up yet. I have a couple of other videos that may be better. This particular mechtronix simulator is very hard to control during an engine failure. Keeping it close took full rudder deflection and significant rudder trim. It's harder to control in an engine failure than the full motion Beech 1900 sim. My multi IFR was coming up for renewal so a little brush up was advised, and I did learn some new things along the way about this type of plane. The simulator isn't full motion but for the most part it's pretty close to the real thing- i figured that if i could put a little evidence that i was ready to handle a sim course it would be a good thing.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

The simulator isn't full motion but for the most part it's pretty close to the real thing- i figured that if i could put a little evidence that i was ready to handle a sim course it would be a good thing
With all due respect, how do you know it's close to the real thing? I don't remember the BE20 being shown as a type flown on your resume? Was that a selling feature of the company that owns the sim?

This also does not prove that you are ready to handle a sim course, it shows that you have basic ifr skills and can play a flight simulator video game. There is a lot more to a course than single engine holds and approaches. Reputable employers want professionals, not gimmicks.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

It definitely takes some guts to put yourself out there like that on a forum like this so I respect you for that. I however will have to join the "no video" team as well. Nothing good can come out of it. I don't think it's going to have the affect that you're hoping it will. Google Aleksey Vayner and you'll see what I mean.

You certainly seem eager and I believe your heart is in the right place. Keep at it (minus the video) and eventually something will come along.

Best of luck!
Chax

Dagwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Dagwood »

I also agree with the others who say the video is hurting you.

It is easy to point out faults, so with all due respect, take the following as areas for improvement:
-Cancel the master warning as soon as you know what it's for.
-There is a edit jump around the 1:07 mark. As the copilot VSI is going below -1500 and increasing, it jumps to 0. You have to ask yourself how did this major deviation happen.
-When you look down (1:15) the airplane enters a bank. You must be proficient enough to multitask while keeping the airplane on course. This is a rookie mistake.
-When you break out (in a 20 degree bank) the runway is not at 12 oclock. If you actually were down to minimums, would the approach have been successful?
-You appear task saturated with this one failure. What would happen if there was another at the same time?
-Employers want to see a person who works well in a 2 crew environment. This video doesn`t show that.
-Use. the. autopilot. Always. Dont try and be a hero by avoiding it.

Best of luck in your job search. If you get on a King Air, you will see they are a joy to fly :)

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

I have to echo what everyone else so far has said. I have been involved in hiring at a previous job and the truth is that after seeing this video I would not have hired you. It may not be representative of your skills overall, but this three minute segment does not paint the best picture.

The best advice I can give is that which worked for me. Single out a few reputable companies that you would like to work for, and do your best to develop a positive relationship with the chief pilot or hiring person at each. Stop by for a coffee and to say hello when you can. It is your character and genuine interest in the company that they will remember when they need somebody, not a YouTube video.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'd get that video off the internet sharpish. You don't want a potential employer to see it.

I would highly recommend you stop spending money on King Air trainers and start spending money on interview coaches. There are some good aviation ones around but it sounds like you could use some help from any general interview coach.

If Georgian interviewed you, they obviously thought the experience - including recent experience - on your resume was sufficient to consider hiring you. If they didn't hire you after the interview, it's not because of what's in your resume.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I'll join what everyone else has said. This video is essentially the employers first impression of you.

Depending on the operator, but a solid first impression would require good attire, and perhaps not as vulnerable as flying a sim with quirks that were mentioned above. Remember that if an employer is concerned about your flying (esp given that you've been gone for a while), they could always put you through a sim eval. Although that isn't done too much these days, there still are operators that do sim evals as part of the consideration process.

I know how difficult and brave it is to put yourself out on the web like this - but I think it's hurting you more than improving your chances of employment. I got a chance to watch your landing in Cornwall and that was nice. Still not something I would send to an employer though 8)

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I would highly recommend you stop spending money on King Air trainers and start spending money on interview coaches
YES!!!

If you want to get hired as a pilot, take down the videos
and spend a month selling vacuum cleaners door to door.

I suspect you might have trouble selling vacuum cleaners,
but that has nothing to do with how much you know about
vacuum cleaners.

Carpie1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Carpie1 »

Good points. However, as i will outline later, last year didn't work out so I have to make some changes. Well to answer some questions about this video (the engine failure one i won't use for sure now)

- The instructor wanted me to hand fly the simulator
- by real thing, i meant the full motion sim at Flight Safety (Air Georgian Sim Eval)
-i always dress professionally in a new suit for interviews
-unfortunately i live in Ottawa and it is a bit of a backwater as far as aviation companies to visit.
- i bought the camera in Oshkosh this year and being that it was $418 (show special with accessories) i had an afterthought that maybe i could get some income related usage out of it.

My past in a nutshell is that i started flying when i was 17 and have done a wide variety of aviation work including fueling, flight planning/dispatching, single engine charter in mountainous New England terrain and to many high density airports in the US northeast as well as flights to the arctic. I have encountered a wide variety of challenging situations with weather, system failures, passengers, customs etc. Right now I am single and ready to travel at any time and just want to do some flying in virtually any type of aircraft. It would be nice to take the next step from piston planes and fly a turbine plane though.

The context of the whole situation has to be looked at compared to last year's experiences

I went for an interview at Air Georgian last spring and because my friend is a captain there i heard what the chief pilot's comments were. He said he seems like smart guy but we have hired guys that have not been doing a lot of operational flying recently and it didn't work out. I also met the guys from foxflight for an informal interview for a Lear FO job at a Starbucks in Toronto and did not get a job offer. A job for a PC12 FO(insurance requirements) came up in Muskoka with Northern Air Solutions so i drove out there right away with my resume. I walked in the door to say hi but the woman there basically just took my resume and did not want to talk any further about it. While i was there in Muskoka Air Keewatin called and wanted to do a phone interview in a couple of days. But then they called back and said because of the gap in my flying they did not want to continue with that and i could not talk him into changing his mind . Finally i had an interview with Air Missinippi in Hawkesbury at a St Hubert there. The interviewer told me later that i was by far the most interesting of the candidates but again i did not receive a job offer. By this time i was starting to feel pretty frustrated and thinking that I had to change something or this would keep happening over and over. And it is expensive to travel around with gas and hotels. Plus i finally realized that i was getting older and didn't have a lot of time left to get some more flying out of my license.

I do have another question here though about resumes... sometimes i feel like my language is a little outdated for addressing the recipient. If it is your basic resume how do you address them?
I am using "Dear Sir or Madam" - is there something better (not including a specific name)
and to end "Sincerely". I notice many people put "Best Regards" now. Is that appropriate on a business letter?

There is a company called Kluane Glacier tours i would like to work for in the Yukon. I have previous tour experience, gravel/northern and mountainous terrain (small ones in New England) flying experience. Any tips on getting in with this company would be appreciated!

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Carpie1 wrote: I do have another question here though about resumes... sometimes i feel like my language is a little outdated for addressing the recipient. If it is your basic resume how do you address them?
I am using "Dear Sir or Madam" - is there something better (not including a specific name)
and to end "Sincerely". I notice many people put "Best Regards" now. Is that appropriate on a business letter?
If this is what you're worrying about, you are missing huge items in interview prep and resume composition. I promise you that your use of "sincerely" has never cost you a job.
Do not overanalyze! I know that is easy to do when things aren't going your way, but try to relax and see the big picture.

I've never trashed a resume with Sir or Madam, although I have appreciated when an applicant has done the basic research to figure out my name on their own.

Patting yourself on the back for high density airport time at 2000 hours is a bit much. Tell the people what you did, where you did it and they'll decide its value to the operation. If you're applying for a job in the arctic, and you have arctic time, fine. Otherwise don't inflate it for more than what it is.

If you're worried about trying to be equal to a person who is 25, that is wrong. You need to tell me why you're better than someone who is 25 with your same experience. Maybe you're more mature, maybe you've picked up some additional skills along the way. Posting a video of you landing an airplane does not help anyone, we're hoping we can all do that. I flew when I was 17 as well, I didn't get a trophy. What can you add to the operation? Why would I invest my time in you?

Remember, they assume you have basic flying skills. They are trying to figure out if you're someone they would want to sit next to for 12 hours straight on a 4 day pairing.
There is a company called Kluane Glacier tours i would like to work for in the Yukon. I have previous tour experience, gravel/northern and mountainous terrain (small ones in New England) flying experience. Any tips on getting in with this company would be appreciated!
Research the location and the operation heavily. Figure out who the chief pilot is, and see if you can get in touch; asking the same question that you asked above. Then sell them on the fit.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

By Kluane Glacier Tours, do you mean Sifton Air (http://www.yukonairtours.com) out of Haines Junction? I've lived in the Yukon for my entire life and have never heard of a company called "Kluane Glacier Tours". Feel free to pm me and I will give you what I know about the operators in the Yukon.

With that out of the way. You seem very enthusiastic, but I think you are missing a couple key points that all of us have pointed out: The Video is a very bad idea for a plethora of reasons and trust those of us who have flown a King air, that sim in your video probably flies nothing like the real deal. If you want to practice flying a turbine (which is infinitely easier then a piston) get a copy of FSX, X-Plane or Prepar3d (they will all be as good as that simulator for your needs) and save your money for going to interviews.
Carpie1 wrote:(the engine failure one i won't use for sure now)
By this I want to believe that you mean: I WON'T USE ANY VIDEOS ON MY APPLICATIONS
Carpie1 wrote:- The instructor wanted me to hand fly the simulator
- by real thing, i meant the full motion sim at Flight Safety (Air Georgian Sim Eval)
-i always dress professionally in a new suit for interviews
-unfortunately i live in Ottawa and it is a bit of a backwater as far as aviation companies to visit.
- i bought the camera in Oshkosh this year and being that it was $418 (show special with accessories) i had an afterthought that maybe i could get some income related usage out of it.
1) I'm sorry for being blunt, but based on the flying I saw in the engine failure video I can see why the instructor wanted you to hand fly. If you are doing single pilot IFR: USE THE AUTO PILOT.

2) The only sim I have ever been in that was even close to the real thing was the Class D 208 sim at Pam Am, and even that you could tell it's not the real thing, it's close, but it's not the same. When you get hired the company will train you on their fleet, don't worry about type specific training before hand. Go in with some knowledge on the systems of a king air, how a PT6 works, if you can jump in an actual king air cockpit and get the lay of the land so to speak.

3) Dressing in a suit isn't going to help you at many operators, might I suggest carharts, work gloves and steel toed boots.

4) The major up/down side to aviation is there is a lot of travel involved. But Ottawa is no worse then Victoria for example.

5) Income related usage out of a camera, I do that, I have a side business that with the exception of shots of airplanes, stays well away from my career.

As to the new questions:

I only ever send a resume to a specific person. If you do not know who to send it to, you haven't done enough research about the company. Secondly I always end in sincerely. I don't think outdated language is the issue with hiring.

I know all of the advice on here sounds like bashing, and to a certain degree it is. It was a creative idea to include a video, but like the *insert failed invention* it simply is a bad idea. Just keep sending resumes out, ask others for help with interview prep, meet people who can hand deliver your resumes to the right people and most importantly be ready to move in a moments notice.

E

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Carpie1 wrote:I do mean Sifton Air... I think i would enjoy the work there a lot if i could get in somehow. After my company basically disolved i was the slow one to get about leaving. Too slow - all my work friends are airline pilots now. I stuck around Ottawa too long. But i still do want to do some more flying. Life is too boring without flying. I have even flown around the world in Flight Simulator 2004. I have an album but i don't include that on my resume of course: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set...86c090f1ce
Think about what you could have achieved with the time spent flying around the world on Flight Simulator.

Or all the time spent creating these videos or pictures. You're not going to win anyone over with these, no offence, but if I was in a hiring position and received these I would find it pretty creepy. Take the time you have put into this into pursing specific employers. You're not going to get a job by creating something generic for everyone and sitting back waiting for employers to find you.

Carpie1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Carpie1 »

Yeah that was a lot of lost time- About 3 years during which my friends had left Ottawa and gone off to do other things become Air Canada and Jazz pilots. But i still do have my licenses and for the time being my skills are fresh. I have been trying for the last year to get something new going. At the beginning of the year it seemed i may get some work on a corporate 421 in the area but it didn't pan out. That work would have probably changed the outcome of the Air Georgian interview.

I will have to reorganize my resume. The basic design of this one came from the Pilot Career Centre people years ago and hasn't been that successful. With this advice I am going to spend the time rewriting resumes specifically for each operator. Up to now I have writing specific emails addressed to the appropriate contact person at each company, and attaching a generic resume. I assumed that would be to the same effect.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

The resume should be the same it's the cover letter that should be tailored to each company. Try working some of your network, you say you have friends that are at jazz and ac. They might be able to get you into the places that they used to work at.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Carpie1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Carpie1 »

Thanks to all for the replies. This post was a great thing to do. I have started to redo my resume and reduced the clutter. I had not realized i needed to do quite a bit of simplifying on it. I think i will stand a better chance of landing a few more interviews now!

Return to “Employment Forum”