From instructing to Georgian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

N8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: From instructing to Georgian

Post by N8 »

We've had many DECs as Georgian.
I don't recall anyone being upset about it.
Even during the slow days upgrades happen pretty quick.
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

single_swine_herder wrote:Oh wonderful ... so whoever joins as a Capt will have a whole batch of disgrutled F/Os that are out to stab him in the back for the slightest incorrect SOP call, or just generally be bitchy and snippy in the cockpit because they perceive that this new guy has "stolen their seat" to which they are rightfully entitled because they have a date of hire.

That happened to me when I was brought into an organization to shepherd the Single Otter around the sky for a regional carrier when they still operated floats. The guys thinking they were qualified had about 300 hours (or less) on the water after a basic 5 hour seaplane rating and a 1.1 start of season checkout for 2 years.

So I hope the new Captains get fitted for a bullet and knife-proof flack jacket to fly with. Oh ... and have somebody else go out and start your car in the morning to check for bombs connected to the ignition system.
Yikes. Easy fella. I had no issues when I joined. Neither have the other new guys after me. It's not a matter of people having the time but are getting bumped because of DEC's. It's a matter of 1700 hour guys knowing they aren't at a level to occupy the left seat of a 1900. When our f/o's hit the requirements, they are scheduled for upgrade training. Still a fair but of attrition here. We've had several courses and have more on the way because of this.

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

:)

Last edited by X-Savior on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

....good that you've got some reasonably balanced FOs then. Or at least ones that keep their mouths shut in public. All too often I see people that mistakenly think that because they have a date of hire, that they are entitled to the world.

CS01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CS01 »

single_swine_herder wrote:....good that you've got some reasonably balanced FOs then. Or at least ones that keep their mouths shut in public. All too often I see people that mistakenly think that because they have a date of hire, that they are entitled to the world.
Everyone at Georgian knows very well how the upgrade process works (no surprises with outside hires). The hours are a hard requirement, and seniority has VERY little to do with it. You could be the most senior FO by 3 years, if you don't have the hours, you won't be upgraded. There is no PICUS at Georgian either.

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

Last edited by X-Savior on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

X-Savior wrote:
X-Savior wrote:From what I understand the next Ground School is sched. for mid summer.

Does anyone know how long after Interview/Sim or before planned Ground School they do call backs for start dates? :D
Just curious if anyone has any info about the above? As we all know this limbo stage can be a little tough on the nerves. I was there Mid-May and was successful on the COMPASS aptitude test system they have implemented as well as the Interview and Sim Eval. I am just wondering now long now I should roughly be expecting someone to contact me?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. :D

Can be anywhere from the next day to a couple weeks, tough to say. I think they are slowly catching up on hiring so they are scheduling current hires into training and slotting everyone into the sim. Once that batch is complete, calls will go out for future courses. Good luck

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

Last edited by X-Savior on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRJ-705
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CRJ-705 »

what airlines does georgian hire from?

CS01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CS01 »

CRJ-705 wrote:what airlines does georgian hire from?
Bravo, Skycare, Wasaya, and Thunder to name a few. Navajo and Caravan pilots from wherever, some float guys as well and the odd instructor. Internal references help big time.

HighT5
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HighT5 »

single_swine_herder wrote:Oh wonderful ... so whoever joins as a Capt will have a whole batch of disgrutled F/Os that are out to stab him in the back for the slightest incorrect SOP call, or just generally be bitchy and snippy in the cockpit because they perceive that this new guy has "stolen their seat" to which they are rightfully entitled because they have a date of hire.
If they don't have the time to upgrade, then they can't upgrade. That's not the DEC's fault. However, when they do upgrade they will have higher seniority than the DEC. Thus, the downside is that the DEC will move up the list slower as upgrades bump him down. I've seen DEC's stay bottom reserve for almost a year during a period of frequent upgrades. Poor guys simply had a ton of low time f/o's hired ahead of them.

Those disgruntled f/os you're talking about should be careful...you could be working at a company they're applying to one day and might need you to put in a good word for them.

HighT5
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by HighT5 »

If they don't have the time to upgrade, then they can't upgrade. That's not the DEC's fault. However, when they do upgrade they will have higher seniority than the DEC. Thus, the downside is that the DEC will move up the list slower as upgrades bump him down. I've seen DEC's stay bottom reserve for almost a year during a period of frequent upgrades. Poor guys simply had a ton of low time f/o's hired ahead of them.

Those disgruntled f/os you're talking about should be careful...you could be working at a company they're applying to one day and might need you to put in a good word for them.

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

Last edited by X-Savior on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssyed25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ssyed25 »

FO's start around $28k, DEC start at $51k, 5th year CAPT makes above $60k.
Top salary for 10+year captains is well above $70k. In the training department, CAPT can add another $10k.

Georgian is a very good place to work, gain airline experience. Many airlines hire from GGN, including AC, Westjet, Sunwing, Air Transat, etc.

Hiring could start again as early July, no ground schools for June.

Jojo1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jojo1 »

would anybody be able to shed some light on the Mentor program? they only pick people from seneca?

Return to “Employment Forum”