AirSprint Fleet Transition

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: AirSprint Fleet Transition

Post by AirSprintInc »

JetA Burner wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm Has your fatigue risk management system changed your 90 min call out on reserve?

This is my dream gig on a 14/14 schedule, if the call out was a greater than 90 mins. I understand the minimum call out is rare, but the obligation to meet it if need be is the limiting factor for me.

The minimum callout is 90 minutes to report to your home base airport. But to clarify, you have 2.5 hours (1 hours after arriving) to get the airplane airborne. We also have a duty pilot system in place where one of our managment pilots is always there so help assist getting the aircraft ready, completing flight planning, and other tasks at the request of the PIC/SIC if required. And no, we don’t have too many short notice call outs like that.

Cheers,
---------- ADS -----------

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

digits_ wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:18 pm
AirSprintInc wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:12 pm
digits_ wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:49 pm Really nice!

What percentage are night flights (let's say between midnight and 6 am)?

Is the bond linked to the base: for example if the company closes the secondary base after a year, are you still bonded for 2 years in total?

Great initiative though!
Hello,

Last we did an analysis on our night flights we found roughly 0.18% of our 7000+ yearly segments terminated at some point between 2am and 6am. So roughly 13 flights, not too many. We have more days that end between midnight and 2am, but I wouldn’t say those happen all the time. We do have a Fatigue Risk Managment program that requires a minimum 11 hours notice (and rest period) prior to a flight the goes past 2am.

The performance agreement (bond) is only associated with the initial type rating and not the base you are located at. As far as I can tell there would be no reason to close a secondary base since our operations take us all over North America and where the pilot is based is now playing less and less of a role.

Hope that Helps,

Cheers,

Adam
Sounds better every time I read this topic. And how many flights start before 6 AM? Just wondering how common it is to get called in the middle of the night for a 4 AM departure when you are on reserve. Bad medevac experiences come to mind.
We do have flights that start before 6am, I don’t have the exact data on those unfortunately. However, we are conscious of ones circadian lows and the same rule applies that you need 11 hours rest prior to flight operations between 2am - 6am, so those middle of the night calls to be airborne at 4am just don’t happen. AirSprint can call a pilot at 4am (assuming they have completed a full rest period) to report for a flight departing at 0630. The idea being the pilot will be out of the circadian low for the flight operation. And even those calls don’t happen very often. Early morning departures usually come with at least 11 hours notice.

Cheers,

Adam

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Adam,

Kudos to you and AirSprint for being 100% honest and transparent and presenting facts (rather than opinions). Truly refreshing!

Going for the deck at corner
Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Marinth »

With the 14/14 schedule, is it possible to group those into 14 days in a row, then 14 off in a row? And do you get vacation on top of this? Also, that requirements do you have for an off the street Captain?

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Do you operate to Europe with the 450 or foresee possible expansion with even larger aircraft over the coming decade with reach into Europe/Asia?

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

[quote=Marinth post_id=1035255 time=1522441762 user_id=21401]
With the 14/14 schedule, is it possible to group those into 14 days in a row, then 14 off in a row? And do you get vacation on top of this? Also, that requirements do you have for an off the street Captain?
[/quote]

Now that would make the job interesting to me. Air Sprint might just find that they could find themselves some longer term employees if this was an option. A certai mpercentage of pilots don't always look at the almighty dollar as 100% of what they are interested in. And while it is completely understandable that the company drafts you to fill in, an option for getting a two days back instead of double pay would be a nice option. It keeps both types of employees happy, which equates to a higher likelyhood of less turnover.

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

Hmmm..... no response?

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

I'll leave it to Adam to answer the above in more detail but a few quick answers:

- The bidding system has a set maximum of 8 work days in a row. You can select the option to allow the system to book you for up to 13 days in a row.
- AirSprint introduced Europe with the Legacy 450s last fall.

Regards,

James

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

hamstandard wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:08 am
Marinth wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:29 pm With the 14/14 schedule, is it possible to group those into 14 days in a row, then 14 off in a row? And do you get vacation on top of this? Also, that requirements do you have for an off the street Captain?
Now that would make the job interesting to me. Air Sprint might just find that they could find themselves some longer term employees if this was an option. A certai mpercentage of pilots don't always look at the almighty dollar as 100% of what they are interested in. And while it is completely understandable that the company drafts you to fill in, an option for getting a two days back instead of double pay would be a nice option. It keeps both types of employees happy, which equates to a higher likelyhood of less turnover.
Hello Folks,

Sorry for the delayed reply, it’s been a busy week and I am currently trying to make my way to Wichita. :)

As James said, there are rules in the PBS limiting the maximum number of days on reserve to 8. However, you can sign a waiver (push a button in the bidding system), that allows you to work up to 13 days. The maximum number of consecutive days off is simply as many as you can string together within the rules of the PBS.

For direct entry Captains we are looking for 4500 hours, ATPL, jet and corporate time an asset but not required. Internally we will upgrade our pilots to a Captain seat with 3500 hours when the seniority, ability, and job performance is there.

For the time being I would expect directly entry Captain positions will most likely fall into the CJ Series fleet. The Legacy Captain positions are preferably filled internally. Once in a Captain seat we generally require 2 years in that position before requesting transfer to another aircraft type, unless circumstances require an early move.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Adam

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

indieadventurer wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:43 pm Do you operate to Europe with the 450 or foresee possible expansion with even larger aircraft over the coming decade with reach into Europe/Asia?

We do operate to Europe with the Legacy 450. Currently we have seen operations to Scotland, France, and Portugal. Asia has not been discussed as an operational consideration as of now.

Cheers,

Adam

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

I took a look at your web site and might have missed the section on crew bases.

Do you offer home basing?
What are your bases?

Any bonuses paid?

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

hawker driver wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:49 am I took a look at your web site and might have missed the section on crew bases.

Do you offer home basing?
What are your bases?

Any bonuses paid?
Take a look at Adam's post from March 27th on the previous page for base details. There is no bonus plan currently in effect.

Regards,

James

contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by contactapproved »

I see a new job ad up for Captains and F/O's with the Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal bases. Nothing currently mentions the secondary base structure that was supposed to be coming into place...? Is this something that is still in the works or was it an idea that was axed? I would be very interested in tossing in a resume if there were any opportunities out of YWG.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

contactapproved wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:20 pm I see a new job ad up for Captains and F/O's with the Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal bases. Nothing currently mentions the secondary base structure that was supposed to be coming into place...? Is this something that is still in the works or was it an idea that was axed? I would be very interested in tossing in a resume if there were any opportunities out of YWG.
Secondary bases are now an option and YWG would qualify based on the criteria needed.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

contactapproved wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:20 pm I see a new job ad up for Captains and F/O's with the Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal bases. Nothing currently mentions the secondary base structure that was supposed to be coming into place...? Is this something that is still in the works or was it an idea that was axed? I would be very interested in tossing in a resume if there were any opportunities out of YWG.
Hi Contact Approved,

Secondary bases are indeed in place, we currently have 8 pilots based at various sub-bases across the country, including 2 in Winnipeg. With aircraft operating across the country, we need to balance our crewing levels at the various bases to ensure adaquet coverage. Currently we are showing a need for pilots based in our main bases of Toronto and Montreal, or our sub base of Ottawa.

While Winnipeg is not an immediate need, our planned growth over the next few months will certainly see us looking to fill positions further West so I encourage you to submit a resume.

You may also contact me directly at mnr@airsprint.com and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about AirSprint or future opertunties.

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot
C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

How busy are your new F/O's these days? Curious as to realistic flight hrs either per month or year and how long your 2500 hr F/O would need to make the 3500 to get a shot at upgrade (obviously seniority is another matter all together)

snoopythecaptain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by snoopythecaptain »

I work for a Medevac company northern ontario flying a PC12/45 and 47 as a FO. My first year pay is $40,000. Second years we have bonus $0.10 per mile. 10 days ON and 5 days OFF like your company. And i got hired when i had 500ish hours. Question is, why would you think a guy that has 1500 hrs want to become a PC12 FO and getting $30,000?? When Westjet encore, porter jazz are hiring at 1000 hrs for their Dash 8.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

They don't have PC12's anymore. Their mins are 2500 hrs and $62K year 1. Not sure what info you are looking at

snoopythecaptain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by snoopythecaptain »

Maybe the original post should delete these if they are getting rid of their pc12. It add confusion if you are replacing all your pc12 with cessna jet and still posting requirement and salary for pc12. Just saying

PC12 First Officer
CPL
Total Time: 1500 hours
PIC Time: 250 hours

Salary Scale:

PC12 First Officer
Year 1: $30,000
Year 2: $32,000
Year 3: $34,000
Year 4: $36,000
Year 5: $37,500

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

snoopythecaptain wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 pm I work for a Medevac company northern ontario flying a PC12/45 and 47 as a FO. My first year pay is $40,000. Second years we have bonus $0.10 per mile. 10 days ON and 5 days OFF like your company. And i got hired when i had 500ish hours. Question is, why would you think a guy that has 1500 hrs want to become a PC12 FO and getting $30,000?? When Westjet encore, porter jazz are hiring at 1000 hrs for their Dash 8.
Good Morning Snoopy,

We no longer operate the PC12 and have transitioned to an all Jet fleet, I believe that may be some old information you have found there. The PC12 is a great machine and I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did!

Thanks!
C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 pm How busy are your new F/O's these days? Curious as to realistic flight hrs either per month or year and how long your 2500 hr F/O would need to make the 3500 to get a shot at upgrade (obviously seniority is another matter all together)
C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:56 am They don't have PC12's anymore. Their mins are 2500 hrs and $62K year 1. Not sure what info you are looking at
Good Morning GGQ,

We recently transitioned to our new schedule options and with just a little over a month of data it would be difficult for me to predict with accuracy what the average yearly flying totals would be. I can tell you that in the past, on an 18 day on, 10 day off schedule pilots were logging between 500-600 hours a year, and I suspect that most pilots will see close to that, so roughly two years to go from 2500 to 3500 hours.

Also, one correction, our starting pay for Jet First Officers is $55,000.00 on our standard 16/12 schedule (16 days on, 12 days off). Full pay and schedule information can be found in our Pilot Career Guide.

Thanks!

Matt R

Return to “Employment Forum”