French only speaking pilot hiring

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Darkhorse
Rank 2
Rank 2

French only speaking pilot hiring

Post by Darkhorse »

Two official languages in Canada. English and French. All Cereal boxes in Canada must have english and french on the covers. But when it comes to hiring for pilots - One can dictate that french only need apply. As we all know English is the official international language used in flight operations. In fact if you want to apply for a job in most parts of the world you must have level 5+ english. But not in Canada. If you want to work for a company in Quebec, french only need apply.

Clear discrimination.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=83191
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: French only speaking pilot hiring

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Darkhorse wrote:Two official languages in Canada. English and French. All Cereal boxes in Canada must have english and french on the covers. But when it comes to hiring for pilots - One can dictate that french only need apply. As we all know English is the official international language used in flight operations. In fact if you want to apply for a job in most parts of the world you must have level 5+ english. But not in Canada. If you want to work for a company in Quebec, french only need apply.

Clear discrimination.

The ad is in English, (n'es pas?) they ask that only those able to speak fluently in French apply...
Sounds like they are looking for bilingual employees...
How is this "discrimination?" :roll:

Regards,
TPC
PS:C'est pas moi qui a pisser dans tes cornflakes ce matin!

Genetk44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Genetk44 »

Darkhorse...your trying to sh*tstir??? Its obvious that they want people who can speak both languages fluently.....nowhere does it say
"French speakers only need apply"

Ecco
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ecco »

Is level 5 mean fluent speaking ? .. Or just makes u looks like musculair disthrophia ?

It takes time and work ..

Oh !! and "Fluent" mean "Chyanno" or "Chilcor"

Bonne chance !;)

Darkhorse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Darkhorse »

haha Ecco ... I have no idea WTF you are even trying to say... Well am I trying to stir discussion.... just trying to get ones focus on the subject.

but instead people get defensive and fire at the hip... Forums are great.

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Johnny#5 »

Ecco wrote:Is level 5 mean fluent speaking ? .. Or just makes u looks like musculair disthrophia ?

It takes time and work ..

Oh !! and "Fluent" mean "Chyanno" or "Chilcor"

Bonne chance !;)

:smt017

Quoi?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Darkhorse wrote: As we all know English is the official international language used in flight operations. In fact if you want to apply for a job in most parts of the world you must have level 5+ english.
You should check your facts. ICAO recognizes French and English as the official languages of aviation. You also need to get out more. There are lots of other languages in flight operations around the world. You might be surprised to know that Quebec is largely french. Fly though that province someday and listen to 126.7, and tell me French isn't used in Canada.

Nowhere are they excluding English speakers in this ad. They simply list French as a requirement, like requiring a passport, a degree and so on. Perhaps the customer is a French speaking one? Would you be just as offended if they required Spanish as a requirement for the job?

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Slappy the Squirrel »

Using that train of thought a person who speaks only French but is turned down for a waitress position in Calgary could claim they are being discriminated against for not speaking english.

Being able to speak 2 languages is a marketable skill. There is nothing discriminatory about requiring French for a job. If you're that upset about not being eligible for the job then go Rosetta Stone it up, French is not that hard to learn if you put in some effort.

Pelb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pelb »

FYI Darkhorse. If you look at the french forum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83207

It seems to be open positions for the Quebec province air service according to what the people are saying. As soon as you apply for a Quebec provincial government job you HAVE to speak in french. No english is allowed within the work environment. If we compare the jobs the english speaking people have access to with speaking one language compare to the french speaking person who only speak french, you're winning with no competition ;o)

Doesn't mean that in the future when I'll travel with a canadian airline I'll to make sure there is a french/bilingual employee on the flight to make sure that as a quebecer I'll someone to serve me in french ? ;o) We're in 2012 and right now it is the provincial election and it's not a good thing to open a can of fish that is dating from the 70's ;o)

Rebelle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rebelle »

Pelb wrote:As soon as you apply for a Quebec provincial government job you HAVE to speak in french. No english is allowed within the work environment.
I am French Quebecer, worked in Governement environment and used English. French is the main language of work sure, but depending where you are or who you work with, you'll need English too.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Pelb wrote:We're in 2012 and right now it is the provincial election and it's not a good thing to open a can of fish that is dating from the 70's ;o)
Oh, Dear Lord, please, please, please let's not open that particular can of fish (or worms) again. As you point out, Pelb, in a masterful understatement, it would not be a good thing: I really don't think I could take another round of "Oui" vs. "Non".

Pelb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pelb »

Rebelle wrote: I am French Quebecer, worked in Governement environment and used English. French is the main language of work sure, but depending where you are or who you work with, you'll need English too.
I don't know where you're located and for which ministry/department you're working for. As an example, in a ministry and a department, the employees are corrected when they use english terms/words.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Forget it man, Quebec is a French part of the world and that is just the way it is. Probably makes good business sense too since they probably have a lot of clients who are either unilingual or want to be served in that language.

I got a job a few years ago in the North, partly because of my German language skills, because around 80% of the clients were Germans. COPA Airlines hires all sorts of pilots but they want you to be able to speak Spanish and at Lufthansa they want people who can speak German even thought their SOPs are in English.

If you don't speak French, you're probably not going enjoy your posting out in Sept Iles or some other out in the hinterlands location anyhow.

C-GQNN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by C-GQNN »

Darkhorse wrote:Two official languages in Canada. English and French. All Cereal boxes in Canada must have english and french on the covers. But when it comes to hiring for pilots - One can dictate that french only need apply. As we all know English is the official international language used in flight operations. In fact if you want to apply for a job in most parts of the world you must have level 5+ english. But not in Canada. If you want to work for a company in Quebec, french only need apply.

Clear discrimination.

As an english only speaking pilot, I'm even offended by this comment! Talk about self entitlement. Bilingualism is a form of higher education. This is like suggesting that a company asking for pilots with a degree or diploma are discriminating. Or for pilots with customer service experience for that matter. Give your head a shake. Maybe this is motivation for you to learn French. I know it motivates me.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Clearly this entire thread started because the OP misunderstood the ad and jumped to a reaction.

Had it stated, "Francophone only need apply" then the initial statement about discrimination would have been appropriate- but it doesn't.

Return to “Employment Forum”