Canadian North Hiring

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Canadian North Hiring

Post by thirdtimecharm »

The more interesting development, in my opinion, is that while Norterra was pretending to go through the process of buying First Air, Qikiqtaaluk Corporation and Sakku Investments Corporation (First Air partners) quietly went out and 'acquired' Nunasi- 50 percent owners of Norterra. Convoluted, yes but interesting because of the history of bad blood between Nunasi and QC and Sakku.

Normally that wouldn't affect anything except for some reason Canadian North and Calm Air bid all government of Nunavut travel through Nunasi and the contract is with Nunasi. That means that the door is open to QC and Sakku transfering 75 percent of Canadian North and Calm Air's Nunavut passengers to 7F. Long shot but possible.

Still a major shakeup to come, I think.
---------- ADS -----------

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

thirdtimecharm wrote:The more interesting development, in my opinion, is that while Norterra was pretending to go through the process of buying First Air, Qikiqtaaluk Corporation and Sakku Investments Corporation (First Air partners) quietly went out and 'acquired' Nunasi- 50 percent owners of Norterra. Convoluted, yes but interesting because of the history of bad blood between Nunasi and QC and Sakku..
Any press releases to support this?

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

If you look at the story this week about Nunasi's presentation to KIA in Cambay it is pretty much all there.

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/stories/a ... _overhaul/

There was one previously about the management change at Nunasi but can't seem to find it.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Anyone gotten a call back for SIM EVAL from this last round of interviews? The first week of October? Cheers KP

Pfft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pfft »

I'm waiting to hear back myself. Curious if anyone has heard anything.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything.

Pfft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pfft »

Thanks. I could have sworn she said she would be contacting us either way, and as early as the next Tuesday (after the holiday Mon) about a date for a sim eval.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Yup still nothing, sounded like she was frustrated at the organizing of the SIM EVAL. So I'm not surprised its taking a while.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Well, sorry to say that on the other site, they have re-posted the positions again.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

They could very well be new positions, i wouldn't get my panties twisted quite yet. Quite a bit of hiring going on at the moment, so patience is in order if you're waiting for a call.

Flap_Operator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flap_Operator »

Thats aviation :P it always takes much longer than expected to get a positive call back, and always comes when you least expect it.... Only PFO.s come rapidly :lol:

Keep in mind... No news is good news loll... To some extent haha

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Has anyone who has interviewed at the beginning of October heard anything yet?

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

I see they have another ad up for Dash 8 Capts

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85047

Zako
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zako »

Well, Dash 8 rated and still no call. So who knows what they are looking for?

CFIT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CFIT »

Sim evals were done last week and this week, and job offers were being made this week as well.

Rickyb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rickyb »

Any info on how strict Canadian North is on the requirement of ATPL for F/Os?

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

tbaylx wrote:
penismightier wrote:I'm curious about the schedule at Canadain North. Is it resonable for someone to commute?? Also, are standby and jumpseat available with other carriers?
The answer to that is it depends...where are you commuting from and what fleet.

If you're on the Dash it's typically 8 day pairings twice a month in YFB, so a commute is quite easily doable. On the Boeing there are many more 1 day pairings and some reserve days (mixed blocks) so a commute from any distance away from YEG is tough. There are a few guys doing it from the West coast, and Saskatoon but much further away i think your lifestyle would suffer. There is no computerized bidding system in place at the moment, everything is still done by hand so your ability to pick specific pairings and build a commuting schedule is limited to how much time a person can spend on your schedule. The result is usually a less than ideal commuting schedule. It can be done, but you are going to spend some time away from home doing it.
Why don't they just do two weeks on two weeks off. Less flying of people back and forth. It would be a lot nicer for us.

Last edited by Dh8Classic on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Dh8Classic wrote:
tbaylx wrote:
penismightier wrote:I'm curious about the schedule at Canadain North. Is it resonable for someone to commute?? Also, are standby and jumpseat available with other carriers?
The answer to that is it depends...where are you commuting from and what fleet.

If you're on the Dash it's typically 8 day pairings twice a month in YFB, so a commute is quite easily doable. On the Boeing there are many more 1 day pairings and some reserve days (mixed blocks) so a commute from any distance away from YEG is tough. There are a few guys doing it from the West coast, and Saskatoon but much further away i think your lifestyle would suffer. There is no computerized bidding system in place at the moment, everything is still done by hand so your ability to pick specific pairings and build a commuting schedule is limited to how much time a person can spend on your schedule. The result is usually a less than ideal commuting schedule. It can be done, but you are going to spend some time away from home doing it.
Why don't they just do two weeks on two weeks off. Less flying of people back and forth. How many days off do you get. between 8 day pairings.
To answer both those questions...I don't know and i don't know. Better to ask during your interview, they'd probably have more info.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Rickyb wrote:Any info on how strict Canadian North is on the requirement of ATPL for F/Os?
In the past it hasn't been an issue, still people here without the ATPL..though they had the exams written. Not sure if that is still the case.

After Dark
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by After Dark »

Anyone have a heads up to what the interview is all about for the Dash 8 , technical/behavioural/IFR etc? pm me if you dont want to post it here.

Return to “Employment Forum”