Canadian North Hiring

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AMETonyD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Canadian North Hiring

Post by AMETonyD »

C208 wrote:Why not just start a new thread instead of hijacking this one?
well seeing the subject is "Canadian North Hiring," my question is fitting because I asked in that regard, do you read ?
---------- ADS -----------

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

How is it the size of doors and winglets, and gravel kits have anything to do with hiring? The last two pages on this thread have very little to do with hiring. You asked a legitimate question about hiring. What does this have to do with mods and such?

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

Come on now. Lets just all be nice to each other.

@AMETonyD: Canadian North currently is only interested in hiring E and M2 licensed mechanics. Not so much structures even though we just got our structures approved in our AMO.
Edmonton base may need a couple more mechanics, but I believe they will only be interested in already licensed people. We do have apprentices on our crews, but it is only 2 per crew and they were hired about 2 years ago.

Don't believe what the schools tell ya. Bunch of lies. I was one of the lucky ones back in school and was told the reality of aviation. I don't know if you're employed or not, but if you aren't,
the best bet is to apply for a job up north and work your way down towards the bigger city. Better to bite the bullet and get your license first.

If you live in the Alberta region, see if you can get a hold of the DOM and talk to them.
-Sunwest Aviation
-North Cariboo
-Central Mountain Air

My tip to you is (May sound a bit harsh): If you don't intend on moving out of province to pursue aviation, if you don't intend to work night shift, if you can't stand the low pay as an apprentice, if you value your social life, then get out of aircraft maintenance.

Good luck!

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

I know my following question has been posted a few times in the countless Canadian North threads. But it was always very very vaguely answered. I have a very good lad of mine who is Boeing qualified but has way less than those infamous 1500TT that this company requires. It has been said that CN has hired people with way less time and no ATPL in the past. But how true are those statements? Are they just legend or fact? Do they still abide by that rule even though I've heard they are short of pilots? It would be great if you guys helped shed light on this. Thanks and Happy New Year to all!!

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

We've hired people without ATPL's in the past but it was a lack of PIC time that held them back on their ATPL not total time. Pretty unlikely that we'd hire someone with 1500 TT. Most of our new hires have double that time or more.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Thanks tbaylx. The guy I know has pretty much all the ATPL sub-time requirements (x-country, night, PIC etc) except the extreme minimums set forth by the company or by TC to get those A's issued. He's got 727 and 737 classic or similar rating, which is pretty much bang on the same systems, engines and procedures than the 37-200. I would imagine it would be way easier for him to succeed in training, let alone bypass anyone who has just B200 , B1900 or the like knowledge. Not that I'm bashing individuals on those great aircraft! Its just like what happened earlier this year when KFC lost the Purolator contract. CJ, the competition who got awarded the contract, was more than happy to bring on ex-KFC crews for the switchover come 2015 who were already experienced on the 27. Regardless of hour experience. CJ's requirements, even for the most basic entry level positions, are about anything superior to 1500TT. I know a batch of people for the switchover who have gotten in with CJ, holding 727 experience and current, with less than half of those minimums. Thanks again.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I think a major issue your friend will have is that the guys with relatively low time, even 3000 hours, typically get hired on the Dash first. 5T really isn't likely to hire someone with less than 1500 hours onto the 737, even with time on a similar type. He/she would probably need triple that to go straight to the jets unless they already have a type rating on the 737 specifically, and even then the -200s are being scaled back.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

I'd hardly call 1500 hrs TT extreme. That's pretty low experience for the Canadian market. As mentioned above he'd likely be on the Dash8 in any case.

The main issue if he doesn't have even the 1500 TT is that he's not going to be upgradeable on any of our equipment any time soon. We'd rather hire a king air guy with a bunch of PIC time and 4000 hours and train him how to fly a jet. After a few months he's got the jet figured out the same as someone with a -200 type rating and he still has his 4000 hours of experience, something a sub 1000 hour guy is still trying to build.

We grabbed a few of the KFC guys too but they all have quite a bit of experience and aren't a valid comparison to someone with less than 1500 hours.

pilotdude86
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotdude86 »

del

Last edited by pilotdude86 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

You ever speak to a 1000hr CF-18 pilot. After 7 years of being qualified to blow shit up they want to move into the civilian environment now they have years as a captain of a multimillion dollar aircraft do you think they'll qualify for being a FO on an civilian aircraft.

BBQ Chips
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BBQ Chips »

pilotdude86 wrote:
So isn't it quite misleading to post the requirements, WASTE pilots time and effort who apply and your company simply wouldn't even look at them?

This my friends is why young guys have problems being hired, too many guys are sitting on the ground and the vicious cycle continues...
What a sense of entitlement!
Is it really a shock to you that if a pilot has the MINIMUM required experience for the job, they will be in the company's eyes generally the least qualified for the job? What are the minimums for Westjet, AC? Any company has the right to set the minimums wherever they want to attract the highest number of qualified applicants. If you are mislead by not getting hired when you meet the bare minimum requirements, you face a long career of disappointment.

pilotdude86
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotdude86 »

BBQ Chips wrote:
pilotdude86 wrote:
So isn't it quite misleading to post the requirements, WASTE pilots time and effort who apply and your company simply wouldn't even look at them?

This my friends is why young guys have problems being hired, too many guys are sitting on the ground and the vicious cycle continues...
What a sense of entitlement!
Is it really a shock to you that if a pilot has the MINIMUM required experience for the job, they will be in the company's eyes generally the least qualified for the job? What are the minimums for Westjet, AC? Any company has the right to set the minimums wherever they want to attract the highest number of qualified applicants. If you are mislead by not getting hired when you meet the bare minimum requirements, you face a long career of disappointment.

Not a sense of entitlement my friend. Just stating the obvious! If you're looking for someone with 3000+ hours, then simply state that in your job ad...

Just my opinion there bud...

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

pilotdude86 wrote:Not a sense of entitlement my friend. Just stating the obvious! If you're looking for someone with 3000+ hours, then simply state that in your job ad...

Just my opinion there bud...
If they only got applicants with 1500 hours, they would probably pick from that group of pilots. If they get applicants ranging from 1500 to 3000 hours, why wouldn't they hire the ones with more experience? Oh no, how dare they not hire the least qualified candidate!

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

pilotdude86, I see the point you're trying to make; however, the practice of posting only the minimum requirements for a job then selecting from the best of the candidates, producing a competitive minimum if you will, is not exclusive to Canadian North. You'll see this at pretty much any job, school, or area requiring application where the number of spots is less than the number of applicants.

I also know of a few pilots hired recently from Canadian North with less than 3000hrs, so I would assume they may take into consideration anyone over the 1500hrs minimum.

I'm glad I'm not judgmental like all you smug, superficial idiots
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

pilotdude86 wrote:Well "tbaylx" seems like you work for Canadian North.

So here is my question.....rather my statement!

What utter BS if Canadian North posts

"Canadian North is accepting resumes for Boeing 737 and Dash 8 First Officers based in Calgary and Edmonton. Applicants must possess a Canadian Airline Transport Pilot License and a minimum of 1500 hours total time. Preference will be given to current and endorsed candidates."<<<< TAKEN DIRECTLY from the Careers section of Canadian North Website.

Anyways, you're claiming "I'd hardly call 1500 hrs TT extreme. That's pretty low experience for the Canadian market. As mentioned above he'd likely be on the Dash8 in any case. "

Its not at all misleading, that's actually the minimums. However as stated above if we get 5 candidates applying for the job and some of them have 4000 hours and some 1500 hrs more than likely the 4000 hour guy is going to get the offer simply because he'll be upgradeable on the dash in 6 months while the 1500 hour guy will not. We've certainly hired people in the past with not much more than 1500 hours.

Pilot_Flip
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilot_Flip »

Bump.
Looking for current information regarding salary, working conditions, quality of aircraft etc. I'm looking for a long term job based in Edmonton when my current commitment is up in April/2018. Thank you.

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL020 »

It'll be long term in the right/left seat of a dash- upgrades to 737 are sitting at 15 years to be conservative!!

Pilot_Flip
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilot_Flip »

FL020 wrote:It'll be long term in the right/left seat of a dash- upgrades to 737 are sitting at 15 years to be conservative!!
Do you happen to know anything about salary and upgrade time to the left seat of the dash?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

We've just had a few bids for Dash Captains but predicting future movement is really tough right now.

Return to “Employment Forum”