Job prospects/Road trip this December

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

scm
Rank 7
Rank 7

Job prospects/Road trip this December

Post by scm »

I've been out of the flying game for almost 2.5 years and have decided to give it another shot, just have to get the medical back in order. The university thing just isn't working out.

For a pilot with 2100 hrs and 1000 MPIC PA-31 what are the prospects of employment in BC? Or will I need to travel further, ex Yellowknife, Edmonton, Winnipeg.

As well, is it better to wait for spring for a road trip, or is a winter road trip fine for job hunting? (Starting from Victoria)

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Mr.Blonde
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Job prospects/Road trip this December

Post by Mr.Blonde »

I would say if you're on budget keep your money for a road trip in the spring. I've done the road from montreal to Edmonton and I found nothing, but I was looking for entry level job,mostly company don't hire these days because of the slow season's coming...or maybe they just don't like my face and they told me that to stop bugging them :lol:

lilflyboy262
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lilflyboy262 »

Get your currency up and then try Thunder Air. They are looking for MU-2 F/o's. 1500+ hours, 500MPIC. Based out of Thunder Bay, ON. A little further east than what you were looking for...but...

takamasa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by takamasa »

Try cma or north thunderbird.

North Cariboo is gd too.

Apparently hiring season is gone in most case.

Do you hv any turbine time? May even try jazz

scm
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by scm »

So Thunder Airlines gave me a call back. I didn't expect a call so soon, but I got turned down based on two things:

1: I'm out of currency so I won't pass my flight test on a high performance aircraft. This was a worry of mine, that I wouldn't be able to fly an MU-2 after such a long break. I am in the process of renewing so they said to reapply after my Group 1 is done.

2: I asked in the phone interview what the base stability was like. ie would I be moved from Thunder Bay to Timmins after 6 months, then back again after another 6. The point of this was to figure out family stability. So they thought this question reflected a possibility of non-committal.

In any case it was good to get an interview. Maybe pilots can't be picky, but I would prefer to work in BC. Maybe Orca Air? Back to the Navajos.

lilflyboy262
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by lilflyboy262 »

Yeah, That's why I mentioned the currency thing.

The MU-2 is a damn good gig to get on. There is only 1 MU-2 in Timmins and at the moment they have 2 crew on it. The main base for them is in YQT.
If you end up on the BE10, chances are you will be in YTS. You generally don't move.

Good luck!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

scm wrote:
2: I asked in the phone interview what the base stability was like. ie would I be moved from Thunder Bay to Timmins after 6 months, then back again after another 6. The point of this was to figure out family stability. So they thought this question reflected a possibility of non-committal.
Personally, I think that's a reasonable question/concern. If you don't put your family first, I sure as Hell wouldn't want to hire you. Asking about stability shows that you are a "family" oriented person, and MORE likely to be committed to your job!

As far as a road trip goes....December....not a good month. Most of the guys you'll need to see are on vacation, and business tends to slow down. Go in the spring, and you might arrive on a doorstep that needs you NOW.

Good luck

mrsbitchy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrsbitchy »

scm I'm sorry I came across like that - we do want family orientated individuals who will plan on sticking around for a while. I thought I explained we would pay for any transfer if company required it. I believe I said the FO position would be out of Thunder Bay, where we have more of the lifer’s based and the opportunity to go to Captain would probably necessitate a move to Timmins, but at that time we would pay the move. Being out of flying for that long was the concern. If you’ve been out of it for a while, and not disciplined in your previous flying experience, it is very difficult to get you back in the loop starting on the MU2. It demands discipline and a good scan. As I don’t have a crystal ball, I don’t know who’s going to move first, and therefore cannot guarantee a base. I was more concerned with you moving a family out to Thunder Bay and having to possibly uproot them again in 6 months to a year, but that’s your decision to make, not mine. That question did not affect my decision. I wish you luck. If you are current and well-disciplined please feel free to update your resume.

Return to “Employment Forum”