Porter

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Porter

Post by Lemon »

What's going on at Porter these days? Been pretty quiet lately.
Are they still hard up on the 3000 hour requirement? Are they hiring now?
Any more plans for expansion?

Anybody that's in the know that feels like chiming in would be great to hear from.
---------- ADS -----------

Hozer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Porter

Post by Hozer »

Hiring/Interviewing now for up coming courses. Throw in a resume, 2500hrs I think is the minimum to get a call. Good Luck!

402_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 402_pilot »

I would like to share my experience with Porter. I interviewed at YTZ with Porter back in june of last year, it was my first ever airline interview and a great learning experience. Needless to say I did not get the job, but what I am most disappointed about is that I never got an e-mail or phone call telling me that I had not been selected, even almost a year later. I find this very disrespectful coming from what I truly believe is a great company. Fortunately, I got a job with Jazz and I am glad I could learn from my mistakes the first time around and get on with a great company. I still think Porter offers an excellent career opportunity, but I am disappointed at their HR's handling of candidates. Good luck to anyone wanting to get on there!

Last edited by 402_pilot on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Don't take it personally. HR people in every
company in every industry, seem to take great
pride in being douches. Disregard the rhetoric -
their job is to protect the company from the
employees.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

402_pilot wrote:I would like to share my experience with Porter. I interviewed at YTZ with Porter back in june of last year, it was my first ever airline interview and a great learning experience. Needless to say I did not get the job, but what I am most disappointed about is that I never got an e-mail or phone call telling me that I had not been selected, even almost a year later. I find this very disrespectful coming from what I truly believe is a great company. Fortunately, I got a job with Jazz and I am glad I could learn from my mistakes the first time around and get on with a great company. I still think Porter offers an excellent career opportunity, but I am disappointed at their HR's handling of candidates. Good luck to anyone wanting to get on there!
Did you ever follow up with a phone call or email? I know people that were PFO'd by email very shortly after their interview and a couple of others that took quite few months to get an answer. Maybe they were interested but put you on the back burner and you got lost in the shuffle. Who knows; mistakes happen. Glad it worked out for you nonetheless though.

402_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 402_pilot »

fingersmac wrote:
402_pilot wrote:I would like to share my experience with Porter. I interviewed at YTZ with Porter back in june of last year, it was my first ever airline interview and a great learning experience. Needless to say I did not get the job, but what I am most disappointed about is that I never got an e-mail or phone call telling me that I had not been selected, even almost a year later. I find this very disrespectful coming from what I truly believe is a great company. Fortunately, I got a job with Jazz and I am glad I could learn from my mistakes the first time around and get on with a great company. I still think Porter offers an excellent career opportunity, but I am disappointed at their HR's handling of candidates. Good luck to anyone wanting to get on there!
Did you ever follow up with a phone call or email? I know people that were PFO'd by email very shortly after their interview and a couple of others that took quite few months to get an answer. Maybe they were interested but put you on the back burner and you got lost in the shuffle. Who knows; mistakes happen. Glad it worked out for you nonetheless though.
I did, twice through phone calls with them saying ''Your still in our system, HR will give you a call''.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

clusterfUck

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Pretty much identical experience...but 3 years ago.

BBB

Wayans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wayans »

I had a similar experience with the wait time, as I interviewed in 2011, but I got recently hired for the April start (I also didn't meet their qualifications until recently). I was in contact with HR occasionally though and they just told me to keep them updated. Sorry to hear that you didn't have as positive an experience.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

When I interviewed, I did not hear back for 2 months. It was a call for G/S.

During my line indoc, they started to call my references :$:$:$

That was almost 5 years ao.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Anyone have an update on the hiring situation at Porter these days ?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

No Porter drivers out there willing to share news about any hiring updates ???

Handski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Handski »

There are a few more courses scheduled for this year. I think one or two of them may be tentative based on attrition, but my guess is they will run them all.

Hope this helps.

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

next class starts in June. After that I believe there are another 2 classes this year

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Thank you for the updates :!:

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Anyone from Porter care to comment on life for new hires....just looking for the "coles notes" version....especially how one lives/works/commutes/schedules out of the island airport ? Thank you :)

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

Is porter still hard on the 3000h requirement?

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

JLA wrote:Is porter still hard on the 3000h requirement?
No. I think 2500 and an ATPL is minimum now.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Anyone know when the next round of hiring will be?

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

Classes for the remainder of this year have been cancelled. At this stage we have been told that hiring/upgrades will resume in the new year.

I am not sure about interviews, but I would imagine that they would hold them this year.

Return to “Employment Forum”