Buy a plane or instruct to build experience?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

airspeed250
Rank 2
Rank 2

Buy a plane or instruct to build experience?

Post by airspeed250 »

If you were to hire someone for an entry level job, say 500 to 1000 total time, would it matter much if their experience came from instructing versus owning and actively flying their own plane?
---------- ADS -----------

checkremarks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Buy a plane or instruct to build experience?

Post by checkremarks »

If it was multi pic time then he'll no becuase multi pic time is king. Get a few hundred hours of multi pic and you'll be surprised how quickly you will get called.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I suppose that owning, maintaining, and flying your own plane might be seen as having a quality of responsibility and might give you more varied experience provided you don't just go between the same airports over and over...

However.....

Using your own plane solely to build time seems like a 'buy-a-job' venture and it doesn't come with the training or operational demands that you see in a typical commercial flying operation. A pilot with that experience should be able to fill out an operational flight plan; do quick and complete passenger briefing; properly weigh, distribute, and secure just about any kind of cargo; fly to safe weather limits; deal with less than ideal clients; say no to pushy clients; and do things in a timely and orderly fashion.

Somebody bombing around in their own aircraft is going to be at square one in those regards... or they may not, who knows? But a guy with 500-1000 hours flying commercially would certainly have at least some of those experiences.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Doesn't matter. Some might prefer one to the other,
perhaps even strongly. But it still doesn't matter. It's
all SEL PIC.

As someone mentioned above, people get all horny
for multi time. Never figured out why. I have to laugh
when I see a requirement for "1000 multi pic". Hell,
if you haven't taught yourself how to fly a multi after
100 hours, there's no hope for you. 100 hours is a
really long time.

I check people out in the C421, which has a fearsome
reputation to never, ever make TBO, unless you're some
kind of legendary Engine Whisperer (tm).

What bullsh1t. I check people out in a 421 in ONE DAY.
If you're not bright enough to listen to me and learn to
fly a 421 in one day, it's time to change jobs.

1000 hours multi time, my @ss.

target
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by target »

Things you might want to consider; when you are an instructor your working with other's in a professional relationship; if you teach to a high standard you get a good "rep" more students more flying. You are also working in the "flying industry" and learning how that industry thinks.

The colonel is right you can learn to fly a twin in a day but you aren't going to be the Capt on it (unless you own it and pay the insurance bill) and for the first so many hours your going to continue learning how that plane works/ flies.

My first aviation job was as flight attendant for an arctic operator, I loaded the luggage etc and wobbled fuel at 40 below. That turned into dispatcher (I had pilot license) that included polishing planes during slow times.

Why because back then if you where good the company would get your multi training paid for ( gov't program) and you ended up in the right seat of some multi. One of the guys I polished planes with ended up as that companies chief pilot.

Final thought; I know lots of pilots that did not start out as instructors or built/ bought time flying. What they all did was get involved in the "flying industry" and found thier way into the cockpit. Good Luck whatever way you decide to go; its what you make of it!

who me ?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by who me ? »

Well, in my option, flying experience, is measured in hours, and the example, being
debated here is, 1000 hours multi pic.

If you have 1000 multi PIC, what does that show ?

It shows you probably worked as a SIC for some one successfully , and were upgraded,....
Because of your flying abilities, ( hopefully not because, you went out and bought a PPC or type rating)
Or that you were the next warm body in line, and or had been there the longest ( survivor)
With 1000 multi pic, you have likely operated a multi for a year and a half to 2 years, and experienced
The operational challenges which one faces as a PIC in a commercial IFR operation, for two seasons in Canada.( summer, winter, IFR, maintenance, loads, night, and icing/ deciding situations.)

So what is that worth ?

To me , If I was hiring an individual, I would still check the candidate's references ,
But the candidate's experience is worth a lot.

Getting back to the original question.

If you have a reasonable well paying job, and you can keep the job, then buy a single engine,
and time build with it. Go on longer trips that way you will learn, and experience
more.

If you are not in a position to buy an AC, then instructing
for not more than two years.( you must be at a relatively busy school, with some
Multi , and IFR training.

Either way good luck, and fly safe.

TheRealOtter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheRealOtter »

Last edited by TheRealOtter on Thu May 22, 2014 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

TheRealOtter wrote:While private time does not count for much in my books, instructing probably counts for less. When I see an application that has instruction time on it, I take that time and divide by half, and subtract that from the total. Like the ATPLs, except opposite, I would far rather have a co-pilot with 500 hours REAL experience, then 1000 hours of circuits or 750 hours of joy rides on your own machine.
You really have absolutely no idea of what you speak. I'd like an example of what you call "500 hours of REAL experience....." I've had very good luck hiring instructors.
A guy who's owned and flown his own airplane has made all his/her go/no go decisions on their own, has had to "mind the shop" simply because they've been responsible for paying the bills.....all very good experience.
Who cares if its not "REAL" in your books? I don't.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

TheRealOtter wrote:I would far rather have a co-pilot with 500 hours REAL experience, then 1000 hours of circuits or 750 hours of joy rides on your own machine.
500 hours of talking on the radio, moving the gear handle, and staring at the magenta line while watching the miles count down on autopilot..... vs 1000 hours in busy terminal airspace watching someone without a license who you barely know do ten landings an hour while you try and decide where the line is between learning and crashing?

I've been listening to this 'real' flying BS for far too long.... :roll:

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

iflyforpie wrote:
TheRealOtter wrote:I would far rather have a co-pilot with 500 hours REAL experience, then 1000 hours of circuits or 750 hours of joy rides on your own machine.
500 hours of talking on the radio, moving the gear handle, and staring at the magenta line while watching the miles count down on autopilot..... vs 1000 hours in busy terminal airspace watching someone without a license who you barely know do ten landings an hour while you try and decide where the line is between learning and crashing?

Totally agree with the pie man on this. Can you say "Lemon Meringue" knew ya could.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Remember this is the internet and TheRealOtter may not have a clue about how to determine a pilots worth.....

I would love to do a check ride on some of these people to see just what level of expertise they have.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I have a question. Why would anyone that could afford to buy an airplane and fly it 500 hours, care about getting a job as an entry level pilot?

I keep reading stories here about pilots who can't afford groceries.

airspeed250
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re:

Post by airspeed250 »

Beefitarian wrote:I have a question. Why would anyone that could afford to buy an airplane and fly it 500 hours, care about getting a job as an entry level pilot?

I keep reading stories here about pilots who can't afford groceries.
Hi Beef. I've had a good paying career until this point but I've always wanted to be a pilot. I climbed the corporate ladder and I'm now in my thirties. It's time for a change and the desire to fly is still there. I don't want to stick it out in my current gig just for money and wonder "what if" when I'm 50. I'm fortunate I've saved a large portion of my income so it's possible to buy a plane to build some experience but not sure if that time is respected versus instructing.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I might try to get an entry level flying job if possible. Then fly places I wanted to go with any extra money.

If you don't hate your current gig, stick with it and fly for pleasure. Best way to ruin a hobby is to get a job doing what you used to love.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Despite what everyone tells you ...

It doesn't matter where you get your licences & ratings.
It doesn't matter how you get your first 1000 hours.

What matters is who you know, and can you fly the sim
and answer the IFR questions during the interview.

All else is bullsh1t. If your uncle is Chief Pilot, you're in.

My advice is to get qualified without accumulating debt.

I would love to do a check ride on some of these people
Me too, ..

not sure if that time is respected versus instructing
Of course it is. Fly all over North America. A lot of people
would value that experience much more than instructing.
A lot of people have a hate on for instructors.

ea306
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ea306 »

Colonel Sanders wrote:Despite what everyone tells you ...

It doesn't matter where you get your licences & ratings.
It doesn't matter how you get your first 1000 hours.

What matters is who you know, and can you fly the sim
and answer the IFR questions during the interview.

All else is bullsh1t. If your uncle is Chief Pilot, you're in.

My advice is to get qualified without accumulating debt.

I would love to do a check ride on some of these people
Me too, ..

not sure if that time is respected versus instructing
Of course it is. Fly all over North America. A lot of people
would value that experience much more than instructing.
A lot of people have a hate on for instructors.
Spot on.

My first 432 hours was mostly in my own single engine airplane...which I continued to fly for a few years even after my first flying job. It was a great experience and education in itself as a guy in his young 20s. A lot of fun too...

Return to “Employment Forum”