Air Georgian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

zulutime
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Georgian

Post by zulutime »

traveller1982 wrote:Censo, (and others who think its ok to be payed nothing) Passion may be a part of why people go into flying but like others said passion isn't going to pay the bills. Have some respect for yourself, if you are a PROFESSIONAL pilot sitting at the front of a regional jet then you deserve to be payed accordingly. Wages are terrible in Canada because of the attitude "well I will get a foot in the door". It brings down the whole industry standard. Trust me when you have a family to support passion walks and money talks. Now don't get me started on the 250 hr wizkids sitting in the front of regional jets……lol

Is the air thin way up there on your pedestal....
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I was once told that the reason for my low pay was I am getting rewarded with experience. Last time I went to buy groceries, I asked if they would take 20hrs in exchange for the KD value pack. Maybe I should try passion. Is 10 passion-ollars a good price for milk?

I only know one guy who worked for Georgian. He started blissfully naive, and quit the day his bond was up.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

zulutime wrote:
traveller1982 wrote:Censo, (and others who think its ok to be payed nothing) Passion may be a part of why people go into flying but like others said passion isn't going to pay the bills. Have some respect for yourself, if you are a PROFESSIONAL pilot sitting at the front of a regional jet then you deserve to be payed accordingly. Wages are terrible in Canada because of the attitude "well I will get a foot in the door". It brings down the whole industry standard. Trust me when you have a family to support passion walks and money talks. Now don't get me started on the 250 hr wizkids sitting in the front of regional jets……lol

I don't see what Traveller said was wrong, very true in my opinion. I don't think 250 hr kids should be f/o's on regional jets, or any 705 aircraft for that matter. I would say that 90% of pilots in this industry bust their ass to gain valuable experience up north/south/east/west in shitty working conditions so that they could one day work for AC/Westjet/Jazz/etc. These 250 hour pilots bypass all that which is fine, but then a year later their complaining about how shit GGN or Jazz is and how they want sunwing, wj or ac. They don't realize how good they have it, NOT ALL are like that but a handful I met are like that and it's embarrassing. Flame away college kids or former college kids.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

tdp19 wrote:
zulutime wrote:

I don't see what Traveller said was wrong, very true in my opinion. I don't think 250 hr kids should be f/o's on regional jets, or any 705 aircraft for that matter. I would say that 90% of pilots in this industry bust their ass to gain valuable experience up north/south/east/west in shitty working conditions so that they could one day work for AC/Westjet/Jazz/etc. These 250 hour pilots bypass all that which is fine, but then a year later their complaining about how shit GGN or Jazz is and how they want sunwing, wj or ac. They don't realize how good they have it, NOT ALL are like that but a handful I met are like that and it's embarrassing. Flame away college kids or former college kids.
Huge plus 1

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I was once told that the reason for my low pay was I am getting rewarded with experience
Hilarious. The reason for your low pay was supply and demand.
Too few jobs, and too many pilots eager to undercut each other.

You need a union.

mattzar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mattzar »

Does any past employees happen to have any info for 1900 Captain conditions? Pay, per diems, schedule, etc? Please PM me if you do.

etihadCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by etihadCC »

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone is currently in the FO hiring pool OR does anyone have any information as to when ground schools will be starting for FO's? If your currently in the hiring pool any idea when things are supposed to get going ? appreciated

intake
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by intake »

Is this mob for real, $70ph/ 70 hr min per month for a CRJ capt. <$60k, thats sure to attract some quality drivers. Good luck to those that except this….. :lol:

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Reading things like this make me want to be a carpenter, or plumber, or electrician, or anything but a pilot. You can easily make more flying a Metro/King Air, never mind a jet with 50 people strapped in.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

esp803 wrote:
Censo wrote:People get into this industry for the passion not money
Get out of my Industry.
People get into the industry for the passion, and leave the industry because there's no future. The smart ones fly for a hobby.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

People get into the industry for the passion, and leave the industry because there's no money
FTFY

You can easily make more flying a Metro/King Air
Brains go out the door when people get a chance to
fly a jet. Not sure why. It's just another airplane.

thegrimm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thegrimm »

As a current GGN captain I can say that things aren't as bad as people seem to think. There are far worse places to work. Can you make more money elsewhere? Well of course. But on the plus side I do live in the city I want, get the schedule I want, and my daily life is pretty easy. I also want to add that even on GGN wages I own my house and a car. There is even enough left over to feed my family and go out when I want.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

"Well, it could be worse..." Does not an argument make. (As yoda might say)

Navaids
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Navaids »

There are far worse places to work. Youre probably right.
Drug addicts and alcoholics always say look at them! They are out of control not me! I don't have a problem. It is called denial.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Like I said earlier, don't take the job. Work at Mc Ds and wait for big red to call and offer you $40 grand a year!

RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RickPilot33 »

Hey guys I am reading your posts and having been instructing for 5 yrs + and working for various 703 operators I can actually say that if you are making anywhere above 32k as a FO, you're on a great start.
Either way from what I understand you could end up making up to 70K as a BE20 captain and then get hired as an FO at AC with 4000+ hours and start back at around 37-40K /year.
Most pilots at that stage have worked their butts off and only starting to feel a sense of accomplishment and by the time they get to a right seat AC job, they recently married or recently new parents and starting a family.
IF you compare our salary to US operators whom have to work part time at some ridiculous job, then you should be happier...As long as I can remember between speaking with fellow aviators, the income we make whether as FO's or Captains we are doing something we love. IF you are a pilot and hate flying, then you are in the wrong industry.

As I have told my students in the past, the only thing you will ever get on your knees for besides your woman, is for the sake of aviation.

Chances are your spouse will be the higher bread winner doing a job with a lower risk-factor and not anywhere near as exhilarating.

Happy Flying... and to get back to the topic, CMA and Georgian etc are great places to get your experience because Companies like AC and WESTJET need well disciplined pilots who know their SOPS ASAP not someone who comes right out of Instruction with 2000+ hrs under his/her belt.

Good Luck and Jump on those jobs... ITs the way you have to go...

Cheers

esp803

Post by esp803 »

RickPilot33 wrote:32k as a FO, you're on a great start
My limited time spent as an F/O on Twin otters and King Airs I made ~55k, had a good schedule and lived where I wanted to.
RickPilot33 wrote:the only thing you will ever get on your knees for besides your woman, is for the sake of aviation.

Are you kidding me? You are telling them they have to bend over and take it? You should be instructing them to say NO to shitty conditions (pay, lifestyle, work hours).
RickPilot33 wrote:Chances are your spouse will be the higher bread winner doing a job with a lower risk-factor
AIDS
RickPilot33 wrote:well disciplined pilots who know their SOPS ASAP not someone who comes right out of Instruction with 2000+ hrs under his/her belt.
Or you could go fly up north, learn some SOP's on a larger dehavilland product, get some good hands and feet, make decent coin and be miles ahead and enjoy your time seeing places most only dream about.
RickPilot33 wrote:Jump on those jobs... ITs the way you have to go
Do not take those jobs, then the salaries will increase... Also you don't HAVE to do anything, like I said, go up north work for a reputable operator that pays you well and treats you well. They are out there.

Yes I'm being a bit of an asshole, but posts like this about accepting shit wages and conditions piss me off.

E

Last edited by esp803 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RickPilot33 »

Hey man its your opinion, But I am not willing to sit on my but.
I have been on both sides so my opinion counts too... I have been around long enough to see whats important...
IF you don't want to accept a lower salary that's your prerogative but some of us don't always have the choice...

I am not being an Ass hole...I have made over 50K and the getting on your knees thing was a joke...

Anyways everyone has to learn it on their own how to advance...Its not your opinion nor mine in this forum that will change the industry... We will all have our mindset

Too bad you're too narrow minded...

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

RickPilot33 wrote:Hey man its your opinion, But I am not willing to sit on my but.
I have been on both sides so my opinion counts too... I have been around long enough to see whats important...
IF you don't want to accept a lower salary that's your prerogative but some of us don't always have the choice...

I am not being an Ass hole...I have made over 50K and the getting on your knees thing was a joke...

Anyways everyone has to learn it on their own how to advance...Its not your opinion nor mine in this forum that will change the industry... We will all have our mindset

Everybody has the choice. Its morons like yourself accepting these low wages, and then preaching to others that they should be as stupid as you, that keeps the low wages around. Its basic supply and demand, if the supply of pilot whores dries up, the value of wages goes up in order to attract employees. Some companies have already figured this out, but you will never get hired there because the people there aren't moving on.

To those of you agreeing with Rick, just remember: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Don't work for peanuts. 32K is not a great wage. I used the wage calulator on the CRA website and this terrifies me, as it should you:
Annual Salary: 32k
Fed tax: 8205.30
Territorial tax: 3776.71
CPP: 1569.66
EI: 601.60
NET INCOME: 17,846.83

Now, I work seasonally, so I am currently collecting EI as I am not flying. I collect $884 every two weeks. I don't put pants on most days. I make the equivalent of $22100 NET. Food for thought.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:
RickPilot33 wrote:Hey man its your opinion, But I am not willing to sit on my but.

Everybody has the choice. Its morons like yourself accepting these low wages, and then preaching to others that they should be as stupid as you, that keeps the low wages around. Its basic supply and demand, if the supply of pilot whores dries up, the value of wages goes up in order to attract employees. Some companies have already figured this out, but you will never get hired there because the people there aren't moving on.

To those of you agreeing with Rick, just remember: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Don't work for peanuts. 32K is not a great wage. I used the wage calulator on the CRA website and this terrifies me, as it should you:
Annual Salary: 32k
Fed tax: 8205.30
Territorial tax: 3776.71
CPP: 1569.66
EI: 601.60
NET INCOME: 17,846.83

Now, I work seasonally, so I am currently collecting EI as I am not flying. I collect $884 every two weeks. I don't put pants on most days. I make the equivalent of $22100 NET. Food for thought.
I guess you are lucky I work then so i can pay your EI wage :roll:

Return to “Employment Forum”