North Wright Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

North Wright Air

Post by Brown Bear »

Let's see if I have this correct. The company takes 250$ a month off a pilot's pay cheque for four years, plus, make that PLUS, a fifteen THOUSAND dollar bond for any new PPC, even if a pilot already works there? That bond is on top of the 250$ these pilots are already paying? Up to a year before getting a seat in an airplane?
These guys find pilots, HOW?
Number ONE on my "Avoid Like The Plague" list. Totally disgusting!
:bear: :bear:
---------- ADS -----------

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: North Wright Air

Post by cdnpilot77 »

That is ridiculous!

esp803

Post by esp803 »

Look on the plus side: You get to live in Norman Wells!

round pounder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by round pounder »

Please do not get me wrong, the amount of sheeite disturbors out here is amazing, hell its avcanada, if this is true then wow shame on north wright, but have to ask where this data is coming from? Pilots are the most narcasistic folks out there, come on boys and girls, bitch and squawk all you want it is what it is, you knife each other in the back daily, hourly by the minute to get an hour in the all too precious log book in order to further yourself into a widebody, then it starts all over again. So if your up in the wells eating ketchup soup and noodles working for someone willing to rape you, you have no one to blame but yourself and are assisting the demise of this career even further. Just so you know when a resume crosses my desk with words like I work for free, I will pay for my PPC those resumes get placed on the company bulletin board for all to have some great shits and giggles. :prayer: Aviation is a small community even for a country as vast as ours, your name will get around its inevitable. Someones getting a happy ending and I bets its not the scab up north working for free. flysafe and dont fly for free

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

Brown Bear wrote:The company takes 250$ a month off a pilot's pay cheque for four years, plus, make that PLUS, a fifteen THOUSAND dollar bond for any new PPC, even if a pilot already works there
Please tell me this is your version of a sick joke, if this is true then shame on you North Wright but even more so to all the pilots who think they can call that a "job" did you get into aviation to make a living or am I missing something here?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Number ONE on my "Avoid Like The Plague" list.
Oh no! They're going to be devastated!

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

shimmydampner wrote:
Why are you always so negative, your a joke...

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

round pounder wrote:Please do not get me wrong, the amount of sheeite disturbors out here is amazing, hell its avcanada, if this is true then wow shame on north wright, but have to ask where this data is coming from? Pilots are the most narcasistic folks out there, come on boys and girls, bitch and squawk all you want it is what it is, you knife each other in the back daily, hourly by the minute to get an hour in the all too precious log book in order to further yourself into a widebody, then it starts all over again. So if your up in the wells eating ketchup soup and noodles working for someone willing to rape you, you have no one to blame but yourself and are assisting the demise of this career even further. Just so you know when a resume crosses my desk with words like I work for free, I will pay for my PPC those resumes get placed on the company bulletin board for all to have some great shits and giggles. :prayer: Aviation is a small community even for a country as vast as ours, your name will get around its inevitable. Someones getting a happy ending and I bets its not the scab up north working for free. flysafe and dont fly for free
:!: :supz:

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

shimmydampner wrote:
So, you'd be a willing participant in a deal like this then?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I can't comment on the additional bond for the PPC, but when I was sent an offer a while ago the 250 per paycheque is held as a "bonus" that you get back at the end of 4 years. If you leave a day early it's all kaptuz. They sounded like nice guys on the phone but it was an offer I just couldn't bring myself to accept, even as a 200 hr pilot in desperate need of a first job. I couldn't believe I was turning down a job, and who knows what experiences I would have had by now, but in retrospect, I'm glad I made the choice I did!

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

round pounder wrote: Pilots are the most narcasistic folks out there,
Wow, well said, I could not agree more. While not all pilots are narcissistic to the point that it becomes a negative personality
trait, it sure shows up in the moderation of this forum.

I recall rejecting every single offer that required a training bond and never had a problem getting a job.

Then we have those overseas pilots with buckets of cash to buy their own 737 rating with 200 hours
on a CPL and land a paid for job in Indonesia. They provide their financials and the employment interview
is done on skype.

I also recall spending thousands getting a range of type ratings to improve job prospects and never once did
it ever result in getting a job.

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

round pounder wrote:Pilots are the most narcasistic folks out there, come on boys and girls, bitch and squawk all you want it is what it is, you knife each other in the back daily, hourly by the minute to get an hour in the all too precious log book in order to further yourself into a widebody, then it starts all over again.
Round pounder,

It is entirely possible that maybe the hardest pill to swallow is that this is seemingly a new policy sprung upon the pilots that have been there and put in their time under circumstances that were deemed acceptable, to them (an entirely different debate)! It is not an insignificant change in policy, if confirmed, and I hope the pilots will tell them where to shove that piece of paper.

For you legal beagles out there, if they already have a contract whereby the employer will deduct $250/month for 4 years as a training agreement, is the company legally able to hold the pilots with a second and entirely separate training agreement? Wouldnt this be construed as a new contract with the company, voiding the first? Would that one even be enforceable if the first one is still being enacted by the company; ie: still deducting the $250/month from the paycheque?

BL

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

DanWEC wrote:I can't comment on the additional bond for the PPC, but when I was sent an offer a while ago the 250 per paycheque is held as a "bonus" that you get back at the end of 4 years. If you leave a day early it's all kaptuz. They sounded like nice guys on the phone but it was an offer I just couldn't bring myself to accept, even as a 200 hr pilot in desperate need of a first job. I couldn't believe I was turning down a job, and who knows what experiences I would have had by now, but in retrospect, I'm glad I made the choice I did!
So, you could work for them for three years and eleven months, and the $11,750 they withheld from money that you EARNED could be pocketed by these bandits?
I can see working conditions taking a company induced dive when there's that kind of cash in it for them!
I have ZERO respect for anyone who would put themselves in this position. Are you all brain dead?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Except the guys who come out of school and after six months are flying a 206 a year later are on a caravan a year after that are co joe on a 99 and 1 more summer become multi turbine captains with 3000 Hrs and a 10 000 check on their way to an AC interview. Your right they do suck and are bringing the industry wages down.

P.s. $4000 + .10 per mile adds up doing 30000 miles per month

Morav
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Morav »

I turned down an offer from them years ago when I had approximately 500 hours. The cp had the nerve to get upset with me over the phone for declining the position. I instead worked for a 703 operator in Northern Ontario that did pay relatively well. I was able to pay off two thirds of my debt before moving onto 705.
Life is too short to waste your 20s away in the north especially when you'll get nothing but war stories to show for all your hard work. Chase money and women, not airplanes! There's obviously very little light at the end of aviation tunnel these days. Tread carefully, and save as much as you can in your 20s.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Yeah right. Depends on the person. Some may not wish to waste their twenties in some city leading the exact same dreary existence as a million other people. Some may prefer to fill their twenties with interesting experiences and adventure.
Brown Bear wrote:
shimmydampner wrote:
So, you'd be a willing participant in a deal like this then?
No, and I'm sure they don't care.

Morav
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Morav »

Shimmydampner I didn't mean to insult the way of life in Northern Canada. I'd just like express some caution to those who may have some pipe dream about what it's all about. By accepting the working conditions at such a place you could end up with the possibility of having nothing to show for all your hard work and maybe even health.
I did close to 4 years of Medevac flying and at the end of it I was so burnt out my health kicked the bucket. I was grounded for close to 4 months with my medical condition(coincidence? who knows..). I'm not even 30 years old. Things happen that you can't plan for.
Since the pay off in Canadian aviation is so far down the road, my advice is to save while young, and find the outfits that do actually pay well so that way you'll be in a better position to take the existing low paying 705 gigs(if that's your dream). Otherwise, if you'd like to live a life of stress and debt fly for free, bust bonds, never upgrade, pay for type ratings, and fast track your way to the top of the invisible pyramid! :)

airspeed250
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airspeed250 »

Morav wrote:my advice is to save while young
problem is, how do you save when you are young in this industry? It seems like 35-50k is the new norm. That's if you can get a job that pays 35k after 60k of training debt, and maybe a few years instructing which probably digs the hole even deeper.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

So I hear people are getting offers @ 200/500 Hours TT. Isn't it the norm to slave around for 2 years on the ramp in this joint before ever stepping into a cockpit?

gocanadago
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gocanadago »

leftoftrack wrote:Except the guys who come out of school and after six months are flying a 206 a year later are on a caravan a year after that are co joe on a 99 and 1 more summer become multi turbine captains with 3000 Hrs and a 10 000 check on their way to an AC interview. Your right they do suck and are bringing the industry wages down.

P.s. $4000 + .10 per mile adds up doing 30000 miles per month
Of the 28 pilots that left during my time working for NWA only 1 left for an AC interview and as for the check it is no way like receiving a bonus, you've had to work for that money. You will most likely dump that money onto your credit card bills or student loans you haven't had the slightest chance for repaying. It is virtually impossible to eat and have any sort of social life(if you could call it that in the Well) and save any cash while you are taking home $968.70 every MONTH!!! (pay day is every 1st of the month). Oh and the small amount you do save you'll blow buying approach plates, paying for your medical, seeing the dentist, etc. as you'll have zerooo benefits.

Return to “Employment Forum”