What time for Bush Pilot recruitment?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Victor Vector
Rank 0
Rank 0

What time for Bush Pilot recruitment?

Post by Victor Vector »

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a career in Bush/Float flying started this year and was hoping someone could tell me when operators start recruiting for the season in Manitoba? I'm thinking it's probably from mid March to early April (so planning to do a 50 hour float course in BC in February) but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Vector
---------- ADS -----------

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: What time for Bush Pilot recruitment?

Post by Brown Bear »

You might need to rethink your vector there, Victor. But, I'd start looking by the beginning of March. Or sooner. Ads should start popping up here after the new year. Best of luck. Don't get discouraged.
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Victor Vector
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Victor Vector »

lol Thanks for the advice BB, I've no doubt it's going to be tough to get started (I'm still low hours too - about 900 TT).

I'm still not sure on whether to do the 7 hour minimum and hope for the best or to go for the 50 hour course, opinion seems to be divided on that. The thing people seem to agree on though is to make sure you do it with an experienced reputable instructor. So I'll start with that and hope for the best.

CPLMike89
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CPLMike89 »

BB is right, get your name out there early in the new year and if that doesn't work get driving! As for the training your absolutely right the instructor makes all the difference. You can learn more in 7 hours with a bush rat than you ever will in 50 at a cookie cutter school. Work your arse off on the dock and with your kind of time already you'd probably get a shot at the 185 relatively early in the season.

Best of luck!

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

Do they require a specific course or qualification ?

letsfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letsfly »

If bush flying really interests you and you already have your CPL get a few books, one on sailing and another on tying ropes. Ace those two things together with a little common sense and a float endorsement from someone who knows then consider yourself on track. Enjoy yourself!

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Good advice letsfly. I've done more float endorsements than I can remember. I usually ask what a guys hobbies are. If he says sailing, I tell myself, this is going to be a breeze.

Return to “Employment Forum”