Evertz Microsystems

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Evertz Microsystems

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

My application was in a few days ago. No reply. Not sure what they are looking for. Looks to me like they are going with low timers to keep costs down. With my experience I would have thought there would have been interest.
---------- ADS -----------

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Hey Marakii, did you apply? How’s the job search going? When it comes to salaries, I think it’s best if you apply and find out through the interview process. Then you can decide if the WAWCON are acceptable to you.

Good luck

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

powerbrian wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm Its simple. If Evertz operated Jets in Canada, job openings would be few and far between. You are not going to get paid a jet captain wage on a King Air. Its nothing against the work condition or lifestyle at Evertz. Its the nature of the business. Everyone wants to make 150k +/Year. Flying a King Air will never give you that.
To live in southern Ontario and own property anywhere near the GTA requires (last I saw) 120k+ dollars household to be comfortable. Kinda makes it tough to live a classic lifestyle with one partner at home unless you want to commute in from the sticks.

It's no wonder people are clamoring for jet jobs and leaving turboprops behind unfortunately. Might as well just overpay the position, keep the King Air and have cream of the crop long term pilots.

I'm sure Brian is strategizing to keep it crewed though.

S.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:50 pm
powerbrian wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm Its simple. If Evertz operated Jets in Canada, job openings would be few and far between. You are not going to get paid a jet captain wage on a King Air. Its nothing against the work condition or lifestyle at Evertz. Its the nature of the business. Everyone wants to make 150k +/Year. Flying a King Air will never give you that.
To live in southern Ontario and own property anywhere near the GTA requires (last I saw) 120k+ dollars household to be comfortable. Kinda makes it tough to live a classic lifestyle with one partner at home unless you want to commute in from the sticks.

It's no wonder people are clamoring for jet jobs and leaving turboprops behind unfortunately. Might as well just overpay the position, keep the King Air and have cream of the crop long term pilots.

I'm sure Brian is strategizing to keep it crewed though.

S.
Exactly, imagine the amount of initial training and time $ it takes to keep that door revolving. Quantify that number, and pay it to your flight crews, you'd be the best kept secret in the GTA. You'd never be looking for crews again.

Sadly most corporations are just interested in the flight department for tax write-offs to claim losses. You can't claim losses on salary... Just really nice hangar Queens, avionics mods and training expenses.

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

That new job ad was much better. But like everyone is saying, stop being a stone people step on. The best kept secret it could be. The Glassdoor reviews on the non flying side are that it's an ok place to get experience but not a long term career. The chief complaint is the low pay across the board. From what I hear in the rumour mill is that the flight department is no different, on the very low side. Just know it's a path to bigger and better and now that the industry is the way it is keep on stepping. Don't go their with aspirations of the best kept secret in the GTA. Maybe one day, just not now.

On Glassdoor, "CEO" seems to have quite a few red and yellow marks beside them as well in the reviews tab.

140 reviews and I looks like they have a lot of job ads out for the business side of the house.

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/Evertz- ... 228185.htm

willpilot4
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willpilot4 »

Hi Brian,

I sent my application yesterday.

I'm really excited to know more about this opportunity!

Last edited by willpilot4 on Sat May 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Maybe you can explain to all why your HR department hasn't contacted high time king air captains with corporate experience? Looks like you want a low timer who will be a slave to you!

[/quote]

I can work with 1000TT. It really comes down to what kind of experience. And yes of course to your second part!

Brian
[/quote]

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

Good one, RRmother. Didn't get an answer, so take a jab at the guy on a public forum. I like your style.....makes the rest of us look that much better!!
Strange you didn't hear anything back, considering ALL that high time......
Maybe he just didn't like you.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

SkySailor wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:05 pm Good one, RRmother. Didn't get an answer, so take a jab at the guy on a public forum. I like your style.....makes the rest of us look that much better!!
Strange you didn't hear anything back, considering ALL that high time......
Maybe he just didn't like you.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure Brian doesn't regret skipping over that resume. If he hasn't gotten to it yet, likely just bin it.

S.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Thu May 24, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

What an industry :lol:

Sdn91
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sdn91 »

Brian,

Have the Positions been filled?

SD

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Sdn91 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:27 pm Brian,

Have the Positions been filled?

SD
I don’t see the job posted on their website anymore. I guess you can safely assume that the positions have been filled. You can always send HR an email and ask though.

Cheers

Alpha_Victor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alpha_Victor »

Hey guys!!! does anyone know any details about Evertz hiring ? They posted in Dec 2019 and again in Jan 2020. Doesn't say much about their requirements though!! Any past/present employee willing to show some insight !!! It would be highly appreciated!!!

TonicBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TonicBear »

Bonds for initial and recurrents, $35,000 salary, gotta expense your own stuff like meals (not sure about hotels)

This is what I was told last summer. Maybe things have changed? There is a review from a pilot on Glassdoor and doesn’t sound too good.

KingAirCaptain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KingAirCaptain »

Alpha_Victor wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:56 pm Hey guys!!! does anyone know any details about Evertz hiring ? They posted in Dec 2019 and again in Jan 2020. Doesn't say much about their requirements though!! Any past/present employee willing to show some insight !!! It would be highly appreciated!!!
What would you like to know?

Low salary, on call 24/7 usual call out is 24 hrs. Not a lot of weekend stuff. Might get 200 hrs a year on average. Any given trip will net you about 3 hours in your log book. Not great if ur a time builder. Initial bond and recurrent bonds are in place and Not negotiable, and they will hang it over your head when you quit. Initial training is usually in house for about 3 months then they will send you out for "official Training", and that will be when your First year bond starts. Technically you cannot record the first 3 months of flying as you are not officially checked out on the plane. Meal expense is generous however they will hang you out for 2 months for your reimbursement. You also need to pay your hotels up front, and that can get pricey especially when you have a low start salary. You will get pushed to max duty days when you do get a FLT and ironically enough, when you get FLTs they CAN be back to back and not respect your rest period. They will try to talk you into changing ur shift to a night shift. You are self dispatched and need to fuel your own plane as well as clean it. You also need to do a GPU start each FLT. A directive from upper management. The person that sets up the FLTs will be awesome with you for about 6 months then you will be the most hated person in the world. That makes life really difficult and there is really no need for it.

Pay is very stable. Benefits are very good. Planes WERE in excellent condition. Cant comment on current.

There are plenty of better places right now...in my opinion.

Hope that helps...good luck!

KingAirCaptain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KingAirCaptain »

TonicBear wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:42 pm Bonds for initial and recurrents, $35,000 salary, gotta expense your own stuff like meals (not sure about hotels)

This is what I was told last summer. Maybe things have changed? There is a review from a pilot on Glassdoor and doesn’t sound too good.
All true!

Meals are $40 per meal, 1 Beer, or 1 glass of wine when overnight of course.. Very Generous. Yes for hotels. Reimbursement takes 2 months they will tell you two weeks. Never happens..EVER

Bond is brutal $10,000 USD initial and about $5K USD recurrent. Numbers are not exact...but pretty close

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

KingAirCaptain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm
TonicBear wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:42 pm Bonds for initial and recurrents, $35,000 salary, gotta expense your own stuff like meals (not sure about hotels)

All true!

Meals are $40 per meal, 1 Beer, or 1 glass of wine when overnight of course.. Very Generous. Yes for hotels. Reimbursement takes 2 months they will tell you two weeks. Never happens..EVER

Bond is brutal $10,000 USD initial and about $5K USD recurrent. Numbers are not exact...but pretty close
What happens if you don’t sign the recurrent bond? How would they justify firing you?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
KingAirCaptain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KingAirCaptain »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:06 pm
KingAirCaptain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm

All true!

What happens if you don’t sign the recurrent bond? How would they justify firing you?

They make you sign the recurrent bond before you leave for training. All these bonds are a contract that is signed before the Real training starts.

This includes your initial

You are basically rolling the dice if you choose not to sign. I personally have never seen it get to that. Most guys leave on or just before their anniversary. By the time they have a reached their anniversary; they've experienced life at Evertz and usually simply leave. This is why the company looks for guys every 6 months or so. There is no retention. So in a nutshell you will gain about 2-300 hours max in a year, and walk away with a bit of King Air time but no type rating.

They also have a new CP that does NOT have your back. You are literally on your own to fend for yourself and stay within the reg's. From the sidelines you would think its easy to deal with. Once you are in the pit, you will feel the pressure and its just not fun.

Good Luck!

waliduss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by waliduss »

Hi everyone, i applied for this position couple days ago, was wondering if any of you did apply and heard from them? I don’t have a real flying experience, is there any chance i could get interviewed ?
Thank you !

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

You should receive an offer of employment by 10am.

Return to “Employment Forum”