Evertz Microsystems

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kriswiks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Evertz Microsystems

Post by kriswiks »

Can anybody shed some info on their flight operations? What they may be looking for?

Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Evertz Microsystems

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I've seen them around a bit and flew their CEO in our The Beaver a couple of times. They fly the F90's out of Burlington. They are very nice airplanes and well maintained. I understand they have Quite a few trips to kteb but really they go all over North America. They used to have a baron and a citation as well, not sure what the status of those are at the moment.

From speaking with one of their pilots a few years ago, their expectations (rightfully so) are of a high level of proficiency. I don't remember what was actually competitive for flight times but I seem to remember 2500-3000 is what they were looking at a few years ago with spifr experience.

kriswiks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kriswiks »

Great thanks for the quick reply! I've seen their plane around a few time and it sparked my interest. I'm going to be in the Burlington Area next week and figured I may check them out and see what's going on.

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

2500-3000TT? Maybe as FO on the Citation. I spoke to the ''acting'' Chief Pilot at the time 2 years ago, he happened to be my Flt Instr. a couple years back. For the F90 there are no apparent required minimum hours. And to be honestly speaking, I don't think a guy with 3000TT would accept a right seat Position on a F90 at that pay rate. Unless he was desperate. 2014 is a great year for hiring...much better positions out there

p92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by p92 »

Some multi time would be helpful. I only had 80 multi when I first started but they often are looking for 1000 (wanting you to be upgradable on the F90), but I started when it was just the Baron 58 and no King Air's yet. It doesn't hurt to apply regardless of what time you have, but I'd say if they are looking for an FO I think you'd be considered with 1000tt and at least some multi. So if you're a multi engine flight instructor I'd say apply if there's a job post.

Pay 30-35k FO, 45-60k Capt. In recent years some FO's have accepted 25k to start, you could probably push for 30 even if they offer 25k. There is no 60k cap on captains pay, that's just what I saw, they will continue to pay you more as you show your value and choose to stick around. Upgrade time to captain depends on movement but I'd say 1-1.5 yrs.

Meals, hotels, rental cars expensed. Or captain will have company card to cover latter 2. $40/meal allowed breakfast, lunch, dinner each. Plus snacks. Tips up to $5 reimbursed without receipt, just need to mention what it was for. Any parking or tolls reimbursed. BlackBerry and laptop provided.

I averaged 570 hrs per year over 3.5 yrs. Mostly day trips. Couple times a year you'll do a week long trip out west or down south. Mostly multi-crew operation, as captain maybe 1 in 10 trips will be single pilot.

I traveled to 40 states plus Ottawa, Montreal. You will get a rental car everywhere you go and can explore your destination unlike airline gigs where you're using shuttles and taxi's.

The citations you can forget about, they are N-registered under USA subsidiary and you won't be getting a work permit even though they routinely get work permits for electronics engineers. So plan on flying king air only (you will have immigration problems otherwise going down to fly the jets or fly them into Canada).

Management have some interesting personalities but I enjoyed them. If you like hockey you will fit in better with CEO and President. The sales and engineering guys you will mostly fly are all great guys. Just be a yes-man and not abrasive. You will not be criticized for safe decisions, what I learned was to run it by your flt dept manager first that you have a concern to include him in decision process and then your decision is supported.

Purely self dispatch. You will get an email about a trip with passenger names and you figure out the rest. Flight planning, FBO's, customs, rental cars for everyone, hotels for pilots.

I have zero regrets working there. Good gig if you want multi turbine pic and don't want to leave southern Ontario. We all went in without an ATPL and left with one going to regional airlines. I personally think it was great experience rather than going into a mentor program at a regional if you are low time although the mentor program is the fast track. There is lots to see and do in those 40 States and some good IFR experience into the biggest airports in the USA (and sometimes the smallest).

Interview: expect hr interview with pilot related behavioral based questions (they are surprisingly well prepared for an engineering company that has nothing to do with aviation). Another date, interview with chief pilot or more likely flight dept mgr, it will be less formal but more to meet and greet and assess how you'll fit in after which you're going flying in the king air for a skills assessment. The flight will be some air work and a couple circuits, one of which will be (simulated) single engine to a landing. Kinda fun if you're coming off a Seminole or Seneca.

Check the company website career page for occasional job posts under administrative section. Probably one every 1-1.5 yrs they are looking for one pilot.

ascend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ascend »

I have been eyeing Evertz for the couple of years or so and it provides the lifestyle I am after. I frequently check their website and email a resume whenever there is a posting.
I heard if you don’t have any inside contacts then chances are that you will not get a call. Does anyone who is working there or has worked there confirm if that is the case?

Much appreciated

p92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by p92 »

Yeah I had 2 internal references, both engineers not pilots. Other pilots had no internal references.

ascend
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ascend »

Thanks for the reply p92.

I will continue to update my resume with them every 6 months or so.

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by powerbrian »

I saw that they were advertising for a first officer a few weeks back. Does anyone have any updated information on this company. Any info at all?

Thanks

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

p92 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 am Some multi time would be helpful. I only had 80 multi when I first started but they often are looking for 1000 (wanting you to be upgradable on the F90), but I started when it was just the Baron 58 and no King Air's yet. It doesn't hurt to apply regardless of what time you have, but I'd say if they are looking for an FO I think you'd be considered with 1000tt and at least some multi. So if you're a multi engine flight instructor I'd say apply if there's a job post.

Pay 30-35k FO, 45-60k Capt. In recent years some FO's have accepted 25k to start, you could probably push for 30 even if they offer 25k. There is no 60k cap on captains pay, that's just what I saw, they will continue to pay you more as you show your value and choose to stick around. Upgrade time to captain depends on movement but I'd say 1-1.5 yrs.

Meals, hotels, rental cars expensed. Or captain will have company card to cover latter 2. $40/meal allowed breakfast, lunch, dinner each. Plus snacks. Tips up to $5 reimbursed without receipt, just need to mention what it was for. Any parking or tolls reimbursed. BlackBerry and laptop provided.

I averaged 570 hrs per year over 3.5 yrs. Mostly day trips. Couple times a year you'll do a week long trip out west or down south. Mostly multi-crew operation, as captain maybe 1 in 10 trips will be single pilot.

I traveled to 40 states plus Ottawa, Montreal. You will get a rental car everywhere you go and can explore your destination unlike airline gigs where you're using shuttles and taxi's.

The citations you can forget about, they are N-registered under USA subsidiary and you won't be getting a work permit even though they routinely get work permits for electronics engineers. So plan on flying king air only (you will have immigration problems otherwise going down to fly the jets or fly them into Canada).

Management have some interesting personalities but I enjoyed them. If you like hockey you will fit in better with CEO and President. The sales and engineering guys you will mostly fly are all great guys. Just be a yes-man and not abrasive. You will not be criticized for safe decisions, what I learned was to run it by your flt dept manager first that you have a concern to include him in decision process and then your decision is supported.

Purely self dispatch. You will get an email about a trip with passenger names and you figure out the rest. Flight planning, FBO's, customs, rental cars for everyone, hotels for pilots.

I have zero regrets working there. Good gig if you want multi turbine pic and don't want to leave southern Ontario. We all went in without an ATPL and left with one going to regional airlines. I personally think it was great experience rather than going into a mentor program at a regional if you are low time although the mentor program is the fast track. There is lots to see and do in those 40 States and some good IFR experience into the biggest airports in the USA (and sometimes the smallest).

Interview: expect hr interview with pilot related behavioral based questions (they are surprisingly well prepared for an engineering company that has nothing to do with aviation). Another date, interview with chief pilot or more likely flight dept mgr, it will be less formal but more to meet and greet and assess how you'll fit in after which you're going flying in the king air for a skills assessment. The flight will be some air work and a couple circuits, one of which will be (simulated) single engine to a landing. Kinda fun if you're coming off a Seminole or Seneca.

Check the company website career page for occasional job posts under administrative section. Probably one every 1-1.5 yrs they are looking for one pilot.

Hello and thank you for the info, I know it's from 2014 but what kind of schedule did you fly and what sort of times would they be looking at today for the first officer position? If anyone else that flew or flies with them could add some info that would be appreciated.

Thanks

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Anyone hear back?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

Anybody get called for the in person interview?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

No call back for the in person interview

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Must be busy time or maybe just building a pool. Id assume if a pilot left they would need a body in there pretty quick.

flyhigh008
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyhigh008 »

LegoMan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 pm Must be busy time or maybe just building a pool. Id assume if a pilot left they would need a body in there pretty quick.
Position has been filled as per Chief Pilot

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

They just posted another ad on indeed.ca yesterday

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:37 am They just posted another ad on indeed.ca yesterday
If they did why not call us that had the phone interview last month for an in person interview?

Maybe theyre looking for young kids and pay minimum wages.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

From what I understand in the past the place has been a revolving door of low time instructors. The jets are US registered so no chance of moving onto them without an FAA ticket

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 am From what I understand in the past the place has been a revolving door of low time instructors. The jets are US registered so no chance of moving onto them without an FAA ticket
So I guess an older guy that wants to maybe settle down with them doesn't have a chance.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Not sure, but usually a revolving door company loses pilots for a reason

Return to “Employment Forum”