Thunder Air job

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Thunder Air job

Post by RickPilot33 »

Personally I have worked for Thunder and they were all great and dandy at first.
The Interview was a joke compared to what I have seen and done in the past.

I worked there a few years back and had enjoyed working in YTS as an FO on the King Air.

Unfortunately after 5 1/2 months I was "dismissed" over the phone by the President and his wife, the Chief Pilot.

For my entire employment I had received nothing but a pat on the back for great work and no news whatsoever on my performance...
then I get dragged into the office to be dismissed.
They had the nerve to dismiss me for being unsuitable and then demand a payment for their Bond. They held back my vacation pay and final pay and wanted me to cover the remaining part of the 6000.00$ bond.
Ironically on the same day, my colleague also was dismissed for different reasons but he had gone to the Labour board of Canada and when Thunder Air was contacted, They sent us both of our cheques along with an Invoice for the entire bond amount. (6k or 2yrs)

The President even advised me over the phone that if I don't go to the labour board he would be willing to "forget" my bond.

Long story short. Working conditions were fine. The captains were competent and most of them explained themselves in each flight giving proper coaching, but all in all the company was not as shown on paper. They had great procedures, which were NOT enforced. and like in every company, there were those whom will go behind your back and make sure you don't advance.

The thing is, They cannot come after you for the bond. He has tried and has been unsuccessful on many occasions even though he claims to have a 100% success rate.

Its fine to sign a training bond. Its a different story when the company turns around and calls you unsuitable and dismisses you with no reasoning.

Good Luck if you work for thunder and always watch your back with administration....!!!

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by RickPilot33 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RickPilot33 »

RickPilot33 wrote:Personally I have worked for Thunder and they were all great and dandy at first.
The Interview was a joke compared to what I have seen and done in the past.

I worked there a few years back and had enjoyed working in YTS as an FO on the King Air.

Unfortunately after 5 1/2 months I was "dismissed" over the phone by the President and his wife, the Chief Pilot.

For my entire employment I had received nothing but a pat on the back for great work and no news whatsoever on my performance...
They had the nerve to dismiss me for being unsuitable and then demand a payment for their Bond. They held back my vacation pay and final pay and wanted me to cover the remaining part of the 6000.00$ bond.
Ironically on the same day, my colleague also was dismissed for different reasons but he had gone to the Labour board of Canada and when Thunder Air was contacted, They sent us both of our cheques along with an Invoice for the entire bond amount. (6k or 2yrs)

The President even advised me over the phone that if I don't go to the labour board he would be willing to "forget" my bond.

Long story short. Working conditions were fine. The captains were competent and most of them explained themselves in each flight giving proper coaching, but all in all the company was not as shown on paper. They had great procedures, which were NOT enforced. and like in every company, there were those whom will go behind your back and make sure you don't advance.

The thing is, They cannot come after you for the bond. He has tried and has been unsuccessful on many occasions even though he claims to have a 100% success rate.

Its fine to sign a training bond. Its a different story when the company turns around and calls you unsuitable and dismisses you with no reasoning.

Good Luck if you work for thunder and always watch your back with administration....!!!

Cheers

I would also like to mention that I do not hate them for what happened
I never heard from admin almost the entire time I was employed for Thunder.
I received no feedback on performance, never called in sick, was never late and always ready to work.

I enjoyed the work and the experience I received. IT is a great company to work for to gain experience, but unfortunately my experience with them was not as expected and I hope they got their act together.

Last edited by RickPilot33 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Rick, Not at all saying that your story is untrue, but a couple of things just don't add up here:
Unfortunately after 5 1/2 months I was "dismissed" over the phone by the Ops Manager and his wife the Chief Pilot.

but he had gone to the Labour board of Canada
if I had not gone to the labour board

Long story short. Working conditions were fine.

RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RickPilot33 »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Rick, Not at all saying that your story is untrue, but a couple of things just don't add up here:
Unfortunately after 5 1/2 months I was "dismissed" over the phone by the Ops Manager and his wife the Chief Pilot.

but he had gone to the Labour board of Canada
if I had not gone to the labour board

Long story short. Working conditions were fine.

Read it again... I reread what I wrote but I don't get what you don't understand...

RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RickPilot33 »

I am trying to say that the actual working conditions were fine up until I was dismissed.

They should have given me some sort of warning or update if I was not performing well...

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

If an individual is dismissed it is for a reason and usually due to incompetency. I am not saying this was YOUR case but every single time I had seen it... it was for very good reason.

Thunder does not waste time on people that do not have a future with the company (aka: People who are not Captain material) as they just hold up people moving up and on.

RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RickPilot33 »

I understand what X-savior is saying...
When it's your first job in the industry and you're not told what you could improve on, then it sucks for the individual.
I was not told it was... but if it was for incompetency, I had not done anything of such and that should be underlined and explained so the individual can show means of improvement.
An employee is entitled to performance reports and follow-ups.
They are to be reviewed with candidate. There were no such reports or any safety issues.

Regardless, I did learn a lot during my employment and my career has not ceased due to that.

My case with Thunder is possibly unique but I have heard of others whom were very capable pilots that were dismissed.

MY only problem with Thunder is the way I was unfairly treated.

On another note I do appreciate having had my first job there and gaining some valuable experience.

I am sure with the upcoming change in management there will be much needed improvement which would allow cases like mine to be dealt with in a much more professional fashion.

Good Luck to current and future employees of Thunder....

Return to “Employment Forum”