Harbour Air FO qualifications?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

WstCst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Harbour Air FO qualifications?

Post by WstCst »

Hi, I had an interview with Harbour Air recently for the dock operations crew. I'm an aspiring pilot living near their Victoria operation, I'm almost done my CPL and want to move into the right seat of the Twin Otter once I've finished my licensing (If I get the job on the dock). I was wondering if anyone out there that ever flew (or is currently flying) for Harbour Air Seaplanes could let me know how likely this is to come to fruition? I have my Night Rating, Mountain Endorsement and plan on getting my Multi IFR and Float next while finishing up my 200 hours. I've heard of people moving from the dock into the right seat, but are these 200 hour pilots or people with more experience who decided to work the dock while they waited for an opening? Is there a base number of hours needed to be an FO for Harbour? What could I do to increase my odds?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I hear it's a fun company to work with either way!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by WstCst on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Harbour Air FO qualifications?

Post by Rowdy »

They do take the occasional employee from the dock and put them in the right seat of the twin otter. However there are quite a few vying for those spots, including others at the YVR and van harbour bases as well as victoria. I can't remember the exact wait time, but it'll be a year at minimum and based on your attitude and their need for the right seat of the twin. There are even a couple of forum members that have gone that route. Usually though, they have some float experience as well. Some have been float instructors, some have a season or two back east. It doesn't hurt to try, but the market is fairly saturated at present.

PIC is required to fly the beaver, otter and as a skipper on the twin otter. I'm sure if you checked the job forum and ads, you'd see the minimum requirements for even at interview posted for those spots. As such, unless you picked up that float PIC elsewhere, you would not progress from the spot in the right seat of the twin to anything else. Sort of stuck. Again, why most have done the float instructor thing or gone off for a season in ontario or manitoba before or after.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Why didn't you ask them during your interview?

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
WstCst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WstCst »

Thanks for the reply, I would be expecting to take close to a year to finish off my licensing anyways so that might work out well. I know I wouldn't be able to advance from the right seat without PIC time elsewhere and I've seen the qualifications for the Beaver and Twin Otter captains (couldn't find them for FO's), but I was thinking more as a first job to gain some experience before looking elsewhere for PIC time. Maybe even coming back to HA after gaining some PIC hours somewhere else. I guess I'll take the job on the dock if they offer it, bust my butt and hope to impress the right person!

And jpilot77, I was told in the interview that people had moved from the dock into the right seat but I didn't think to ask if they were 200 hour pilots or if they had previous employment as pilots. I also wanted to hear from an outside source or anyone who had gone through it what my odds were like of getting that chance and what I could do to improve them. Sounds like it's a possibility, just gotta work hard, smile and get the timing right!

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

Heres a thought. Instead of getting a 7 hour float rating and multi ifr, why dont you spend the rest of your build up time entirely on floats. That way you're in a much better position to head east and find a job flying a 185. If your goal is Harbour Air or a similar company, it makes no sense to fly around on wheels building time. IFR is a waste of money for you at this point.

My opinion, of course.

WstCst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WstCst »

Thanks for the tip Duffman, I have been thinking about scratching the Multi IFR for now and just focusing on float time. I still need my 300nm and about 30 hours for my CPL, maybe I'll try and get that all on floats. My thought was that if it doesn't work out with HA, having my Multi IFR would open up more job possibilities elsewhere.

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

The last few postings required: CPL, 250tt, 7hrs floats, and a ME rating. It is an entry-level job as pays as such. There are currently about 5 or more dock hands that are qualified for the position. Typically one FO leaves each year, so that should give you an idea on the wait time. As Rowdy pointed out, unless you have PIC time you will not be able to move to the Beaver. Which means it is a good job for one year to get some commercial experience and 6-700hrs multi time.
Feel free to PM if you have more questions about HA.

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

I haven't been there for a couple years, but when I left they upgraded two guys from the dock who had both been there for 5+ years. Expect a very long wait! That being said, a job at HA/WCA provides one of the best lifestyles in all of aviation if you ask me.

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
WstCst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WstCst »

Thanks a lot for all the insight everyone. I think that even if it's too long a wait and I don't make it into the right seat of the Twin Otter, it'll still be a great place to work and meet people in the industry while I finish off my licensing.

dieselbro
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dieselbro »

First of all congratulations on your CPL progress, it is one of the first few steps to getting into this industry and definitely an exciting time. You seem to have the right attitude, but remember you had an interview for a dock position. I would not let the lure of a right seat spot distract you from your job as your performance and attitude with regards to the company’s major core values of safety, service, integrity, and team spirit will play a major role in promotional considerations. With that said there have been successful employees of Harbour Air Group who have made the jump from the dock to the right seat of the Twin Otter. Promotions from within are also not just limited to dockhands, the hiring staff are receptive to any employee within the company.

The last few postings have been advertised around 270TT, 7 float, and a multi-engine rating. So yes, you could get in with bare minimums. As for movement it has been eluded to that there may be a bit of a wait as there are people ‘in-line’ so to speak. Also right now there is only 1 Twin Otter flying. A second is slated to come online late-spring/early-summer. Crewing has been scaled back accordingly, pay may be entry level but you’ll be making more than a Whale or Glacier last I heard. I wouldn’t worry about spending some time with the people of HA unless you are older, then perhaps a trip east to find a 185 job may be the quicker option to flying. Bottom-line is that you’ll get to spend some quality time around some neat old aircraft, learning plenty about a commercial operation and you’ll have your first job in the industry. Best of luck.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Seems like the Turbo Swine has displaced most of the Two Otters on the West Coast. I don't think there is much of a future as a Twin Otter FO......

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Go get some PIC time on a Cessna, then a Beaver, then an Otter... you'll enjoy the experience and be a better pilot for it. Then had back to Harbour Air in 4 or 5 years. And are there companies that actually sell students a "mountain endorsement"? Jeez. :roll:

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Hey WstCst,

I finished my CPL and did my float endorsement last summer while working on the dock in Victoria. More knowledgeable folk have answered your question already on the chances of getting a FO position, but if it matters, from what I heard, there were several people in line for the next FO spot. That being said, maybe people have moved on and you might get lucky seeing how you won't be done for a year as you said. They did have to layoff one of their FOs after last summer so you would have that possibility to think of as well even if you did get the job.
But getting the FO job aside, working in Victoria Harbour during the summer, working around beavers, otters and twin otters is a great experience. Beautiful scenery, sunny days and mostly it is a fun job. Still a job. And bring your sunscreen!! You'll get to learn a few tricks of the trade and get a head start on being comfortable in and around and on top of the aircraft. I had a great experience and I am hoping that little bit of dock experience may help me getting a PIC float job this year. It could help you in the long run as well. You'll meet the pilots and get to talk to them and maybe get a few bits and pieces of advice. If they'll speak with a lowly dock hand (I kid I kid).
If you want to be around aircraft I couldn't think of a better job. As long as you can afford to live on the wage.
Good luck.

WstCst
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WstCst »

Yeah, I got the job and so far it's been a lot of fun. I've met a couple of the pilots and the people I'm working with are great. Sounds like summer is a blast there too, even if it won't get me to that ever elusive first gig behind the controls. Good luck in you're search BigEh, and if you find anyone willing to hire a fresh pilot, let me know for next year! haha

doorhandle27
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by doorhandle27 »

Working for a company around airplanes while doing your CPL is a great way to go. Even if it doesn't turn into an FO job you'll learn a lot and most of all, you'll have a great chance to network, and networking is key. I did the exact same thing and it work out really well. Congrats on the job, enjoy, very smart move.

Return to “Employment Forum”