Voyageur Interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Voyageur Interview

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Tell this story to the HR clowns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxiZZZ-2_4
---------- ADS -----------

!Nahanni!
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by !Nahanni! »

Hey guys,

Anyone know when VAL is running the next training program? After my interview I was sent a letter saying I'd been put into the hiring pool but there are no positions available at this time. Is that a polite way of rejecting me? In the interview 2 weeks ago they said they were doing a training program in June sometime. Called HR and got the letter read to me, but no firm answers. Can anyone shed some light.

Cheers

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

!Nahanni! wrote:Hey guys,

Anyone know when VAL is running the next training program? After my interview I was sent a letter saying I'd been put into the hiring pool but there are no positions available at this time. Is that a polite way of rejecting me? In the interview 2 weeks ago they said they were doing a training program in June sometime. Called HR and got the letter read to me, but no firm answers. Can anyone shed some light.

Cheers
Hi Nahanni,

I'm not sure when the next ground school is as that information never makes it out to us in the field but if they told you you're in a hiring pool then you can take them at their word. It's not a polite way of rejecting you. I'm sure you'll get a call at some point.

Cheers,
Chax

!Nahanni!
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by !Nahanni! »

Thanks Chax

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

It's a long time since I worked for Voyager but, it was the best flying job I've ever had.

On the plus side, medivacs were a load of challenging flying and while I did not require a lot
of training, I think the ppc took 4.5 hours and it was an interesting experience when at that
time I had not touched an airplane for several years. I don't recall being asked to sign a bond
but I had no intentions of leaving in the short term. Bonds etc have obviously been introduced.

Voyager has not changed a lot in decades, and that has developed into some experience based
management that gets it right most of the time but like anything good,
do not expect perfection.

I flew with one captain, who is long since gone, that regularly flew below circling minimums at night,
playing russian roulette with obstacles, and behaved like Hitler.

Another co-jo who later made captain had the personality of a psychopath, and later I was asked
to review his file and one of the interviewers did correctly nail his personality. At that time, they did not know
what I knew and he was hired despite being incredibly lacking in ability and troubled in personality.

The problem with three interviewers can be that only one vote down does not necessarily prevent them
from being hired.

My personal view is that all three interviewers should have a black ball.

I won't post here the rest of the above stories. The moral is no matter how good an operation is,
always be ready for the one pilot who slips thru the interview cracks.

My advice to Voyager is to spend more time on the psychological / personality factors and also watch
for the classic cases of those who get all their ratings and hours but lack the very basic flying ability that can
be ignored when they are desperate for pilots with the right numbers in the log book.

If you are a professional pilot without any serious personality disorders and enjoy being in a crew environment
you should not have any problem with an interview.

Make the process enjoyable for the interviewers and yourself.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

B52 wrote: My personal view is that all three interviewers should have a black ball.

The moral is no matter how good an operation is,
always be ready for the one pilot who slips thru the interview cracks..
That happens in EVERY industry.. and it's why there are usually probationary periods after interviews. Unfortunately, people seem to want to think that the problem will 'go away' or 'correct itself' and the probationary periods end up being useless. Especially here in aviation with significant training costs..

FutureWifes *™ industry does working interviews. Thats beneficial for both sides. Why aren't we moving in a direction like that in the 702-3-4 world? Sure would save a lot of hassle. Have new hire ride shotgun on a days worth of trips with a headset on. Sure you can't judge their flying skills, but you could quickly figure out personality issues and conflicts.

dismerci
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dismerci »

Hi,
I was called for an interview (705) at VAL and was wondering if I could get some informations.

Where are located the bases as of today?
Any news on the phase out of UN tax credit for present operations? And futur contracts?

Thanks.

Last edited by dismerci on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZ382
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AZ382 »

Bases are:

Entebbe, Uganda
Wau, S Sudan
Nyala, Sudan
El Fasher, Sudan
Kandahar, Afganistan
Kinshasa, DRC
Accra, Ghana

What aircraft are you being called in for?

dismerci
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dismerci »

I don't know, they just mentioned 705 overseas.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Any chance you could mention your experience level, dismerci?
TT
PIC
MULTI
MULTI-PIC

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

What aircraft are utilized at the bases mentioned in a previous post?

Are they still hiring this spring for the overseas work or has that slowed down too?

Gravity always wins
raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

Entebbe, Uganda CRJ
Wau, S Sudan CRJ/2 x DH8
Nyala, Sudan DH8
El Fasher, Sudan CRJ
Kandahar, Afganistan not sure what's up...may be done
Kinshasa, DRC 2 x CRJ
Accra, Ghana CRJ..sometimes 2

Add Mali... DH8 I think... DH7 soon

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Any voyageur people out there have an update regarding hiring for the remainder of 2015, any news on the ending of the overseas tax credit and company wawcon? Have read through older threads but not much info the past year.

PM or post is appreciated.

Gravity always wins
eastpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eastpilot »

There are a few people I know who went to YYB for interview, they haven't heard back! :cry: :rolleyes:

Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

eastpilot wrote:There are a few people I know who went to YYB for interview, they haven't heard back! :cry: :rolleyes:
Were their references called? If yes, they likely made the cut - assuming of course the references were good. No idea what the training schedule is these days.

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cpt.sam »

I recently got awarded CRJ200 FO
TT-3200
(all 1900D scheduled ops)
Response after my interview took 4-5 weeks
GS starts March 30
Best of luck to all other applicants

PS - references were called over a week before I was offered the position

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Any update on hiring for overseas postings for the rest of the year ?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Can anyone in the know please update as to what is going on at voyageur these days in terms of hiring and the un work and bases...has been pretty quiet the past several months....

Maroeko
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maroeko »

Had an interview last april for 703ops on the king Air. They called me last july to tell me that the interview was successful and I was now in a pool...can take 1 week or 6 months before getting a call to be on a ground school. No news yet

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Maroeko wrote:Had an interview last april for 703ops on the king Air. They called me last july to tell me that the interview was successful and I was now in a pool...can take 1 week or 6 months before getting a call to be on a ground school. No news yet
Could you provide your total time and experience please? Just want to know generally what they are looking for specifically for the King Air 703.

Return to “Employment Forum”