Voyageur Interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Aviator85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Voyageur Interview

Post by Aviator85 »

Hey everyone,

I have an interview with Voyageur in a couple of weeks, for a position with their overseas flying. Just wondering if there are any past/present Voyageur pilots out there that could comment on working there, and if anyone that has gone through their interview process could offer any insight or possible questions they were asked?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Voyageur Interview

Post by Oxi »

Plenty of topics have covered this previous. When they called you did they specifically mention overseas or was it both divisions 703 and 704/705?

Aviator85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aviator85 »

I have read through some of the other threads, but most were quite a few years old, so was just looking for some recent perspective. And yes, they did specifically mention it was for their overseas flying.

Bushed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bushed »

Check your pm's

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Oxi wrote:Plenty of topics have covered this previous. When they called you did they specifically mention overseas or was it both divisions 703 and 704/705?
They only have 703 and 705, and the only 703 is the medivac King Air in New Brunswick. It'd be nearly impossible to get into the Moncton positions as those guys are quite happy there and aren't going anywhere. If you're applying to VAL you're applying to work overseas.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

KK7 wrote:
Oxi wrote:Plenty of topics have covered this previous. When they called you did they specifically mention overseas or was it both divisions 703 and 704/705?
They only have 703 and 705, and the only 703 is the medivac King Air in New Brunswick. It'd be nearly impossible to get into the Moncton positions as those guys are quite happy there and aren't going anywhere. If you're applying to VAL you're applying to work overseas.
Out of curiosity, what has got them so happy on the medevac side? It's rare to hear that about that brand of flying.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

They are living in Moncton. There's a phenomenon of pilots originating from down east who do all they can to return. There's not a whole lot of work for pilots out east, so when they get a job there, they tend to stay long term.

cor_18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cor_18 »

ground schools are commencing April 15 and May 1st, 2014. Had an interview last week for the same position.

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

I used to work here a few years ago.
We had a good base manager PS, and the schedule was half decent.
The pay for captains was pretty good too.

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

I would venture to say there hasn't been a lot of change in the Voyageur world lately, previous threads are still pretty good insight into working there.
The questions I would ask in an interview are what's happening with their planes in Afghanistan, many of the countries working there are pulling out which could lead to layoffs. Also worth asking is what are they doing about the phase out of the UN tax credit.
Interview process is pretty straight forward last time I checked. A couple of flying IFR type questions to make sure your not dumb, and some personality/situational questions to make sure you aren't too difficult to work with and can solve problems. Come prepared with situations where you and another crew member dealt with a problem etc.
Looking back, Voyageur has been the most amazing job I've ever had. Fly across the planet, get paid vast sums of money to fly airplanes in interesting places. Two months away sucks if you have a family, but if you're not tied down you will not regret a career at Voyageur!
Best of luck with the interview!

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
Airmanship Police
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Airmanship Police »

Just don't forget your checkbook you slut!!!!

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

Oh ya, that's why I don't come here very often anymore. Polly pissy pants and all the other children who come here to perpetuate BS.

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
esp803

Post by esp803 »

Airmanship Police wrote:Just don't forget your checkbook you slut!!!!
Why bother posting this drivel? Yah, they have a bond. Beating a dead horse here.
Dictionary.com wrote: Slut,
noun
1. an immoral or dissolute woman; prostitute.
Thank you for your contribution AP. Keep up the good work.

E

*Edited to remove the "cash up front", thanks for the rectification.

Last edited by esp803 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

It's not even true. No cash up front just a co-signed loan. You pay the interest- they pay you back for said interest. Pro rated, one year, and it doesn't cover the full cost of training.
The pay for my first two months (as a co-pilot) was more than the entire bond just to put things in perspective.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

No cash up front. This has been discussed extensively in the previous Voyageur thread. Where people get this false information, is beyond me.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I've been with Voyageur for almost 6 years now all of which has been overseas and I've been very happy here. The company isn't perfect by any means but they're decent and the pay is good. Living conditions vary from base to base but are more than adequate where ever you end up.

Typically they're very good with a consistent 8 in, 8 out schedule but things do happen. I've had some longer rotations before but each time it was at my own request.

I'll say one last thing about the bond. If anyone else makes a comment about bringing a chequebook or anything to that effect I'm going to beat them over the head with an inflatable life raft. No money—not a single bloody cent—goes from the pilot's hand to Voyageur's. Anyone who thinks that is wrong. End of story. Is that clear enough?

Now if anyone else has any real questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Chax

Airmanship Police
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Airmanship Police »

So you never had to pay any money to work at VAL? Even if the money doesn't go to voyageur's pocket and in escrow?

You never took out a loan that VAL would pay for inuding interests?

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Airmanship Police wrote:So you never had to pay any money to work at VAL?
Correct. No money ever transferred from me to VAL.
Even if the money doesn't go to voyageur's pocket and in escrow?
Correct. No money was ever transferred from me to VAL, or to an escrow.
You never took out a loan that VAL would pay for inuding interests?
A cosigned loan (myself and VAL) was taken out in the amount of $15 000, placed in a one year GIC in escrow with CIBC. CIBC held the employment contract agreed upon between myself and VAL, and the $15 000. At the conclusion of the year CIBC distributed the funds according clauses laid out in the employment contract. In my case those funds were returned to me.

At no time did I ever pay for a PPC, or had my income skimmed to pay for a PPC or training.

If you don't like this arrangement you need not apply. Training bonds suck, but they exist. Some bonds are with questionably companies. VAL in my opinion is not a questionable company. They have a safe operation and respect their pilot's decisions in the capacity of their jobs. I spent four years there and would and have recommended the place to my friends.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I agree with KK7, the bond is reasonable and they are upfront and honest about what it is! the 365 day arrived and the money was put back in the account and closed. I spent 3 years at VAL and enjoyed 90% of everything I did there. I wouldn't give those days back.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Come prepared with situations where you and another crew member dealt with a problem etc.
I love these tell of us a time questions? I have to wonder what the HR geniuses think people would answer....for example....two candidates answers.

This idiot pig headed captain was a half dot off the localizer and wouldnt listen when I shouted at him, so I slapped him in the back of the head, took command and greased it on....

Or

We had a conflict of reasoning and situational awareness during an approach. While the Captain was not quite on the localizer , he was within company prescribed limits, so I became extra vigilant in monitoring the approach. Afterwards, we went for tea and I shared my concern about the deviation, and he acknowledged and validated my feelings and concern, and we paired happily ever after.

Honestly, would anyone answer like the first candidate? You gotta be an HR type to believe in this stuff.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “Employment Forum”