Fast Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Fast Air

Post by fish4life »

Saw in the fast air job ad that they have G1000 in all of there medevac machines, good to see a company spending some money upgrading a fleet / giving pilots doing some of the toughest flying out there the best equipment there is.
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatorcaptain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Fast Air

Post by Aviatorcaptain »

Anyone know what sched and pay is to start and pay increases each year for captain?

AC

esp803

Post by esp803 »

fish4life wrote:good to see a company spending some money upgrading a fleet
Yes!
fish4life wrote:doing some of the toughest flying out there
Not even close!

It is good to see a company that invests in their equipment, I would rather fly with a 430/530 and an extra 10k in my pocket though.... I'm curious as to the pay, I'd like to believe that a Medevac captain on a beech would be in the area of 80-90k.

E

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Sorry but it is, doing medevacs in shitty weather when you've been up for 24+ hours IS some of the toughest flying there is. It might not be flying that needs the most skill or even the best skills but IFR + Fatigue is not a good combination.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

$45000/year without the type $65000/year 2 come in typed your looking at $50000 to $60000/year to start. And you pass the snags off to the next crew on a piece of paper in the front of a log book. Amazingly if something does break that grounds the airplane, it happens to break on short final or you need to look for work elseswear.

triplese7en
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by triplese7en »

fish4life wrote:Sorry but it is, doing medevacs in shitty weather when you've been up for 24+ hours IS some of the toughest flying there is. It might not be flying that needs the most skill or even the best skills but IFR + Fatigue is not a good combination.
So are you admitting to breaking the CARs?

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

you admitting to breaking the CARs?
Everyone who has anything break in-flight
has contravened the CARs because after it
broke, the airplane was no longer legally
airworthy, and they recklessly continued
to fly it. I smell CAR 602.01 here.

Friend of mine lost the prop on his C140
and skillfully glided to the runway. I told
him to get ready for the registered letters
from enforcement:

- aircraft unairworthy
- hazardous object dropped from aircraft
- no glider pilot licence

Serious trouble.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

fish4life wrote:Sorry but it is, doing medevacs in shitty weather when you've been up for 24+ hours IS some of the toughest flying there is. It might not be flying that needs the most skill or even the best skills but IFR + Fatigue is not a good combination.
I completely agree that fatigue and IFR are not a good combination. I've flown Medevacs in the north that involve circling NDB approaches in the mountains at night, as far as IFR goes it's probably the toughest. The beauty of IFR though is that if you hit minimums and nothing is seen, you go around, end of story. There is significantly more decision making required to fly day VFR in the same area in shitty WX. Further to this, if you are fatigued and will make the flight dangerous, REFUSE to fly it. Killing two crew members and a medic is not worth saving one life. ever. Finally, IFR in shitty weather in the flatlands... is...well.... easy (this is not meant as an insult to anyone who flies in the flatlands, but with MSA's only a couple thousand feet above Airport Elevation instead of 8-10k above....), Especially with well equipped aircraft. As you said though it's good to see a company investing in great avionics to make the flight operations safer. IFR with moving maps is in my opinion a thousand times safer then IFR on steam gauges.

E

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Not even close!

E[/quote]

I would have to dis-agree with you on that one, flying in the mountains certainly possesses it's own dangers BUT if you look at the airports/facilities out in Alberta/BC they are far superior than what you would find in Manitoba. Also the IFR minimums in the mountains are ridiculously high, you either see it or you don't, the engine out routings are published for you in the CAP or Jepps. When I flew medevac's in MB, we were flying into many strips that were 2500 ft (poplar river, pikwitonei, little grand) or less at night with no PAPI or VASIS system and no IFR approaches. Not all but MOST airports in BC and Alberta are greater than 3500 ft paved with much better runway conditions and with operating ILS's. Early in my career, I flew with a guy with thousands of hours from a medevac company in BC flying paved strip to paved strip ILS to ILS and he was certainly out of his element in MB, wont get into the specific's, but he didn't last long. Thunderstorms in the summer were nasty in SK/MB, wasn't uncommon to see 50K tops, where as in BC/AB you rarely get Cell's like that. Anyways didn't mean to have a D*** measuring contest here just speaking from my experience, flying medevac in MB was the toughest flying i have ever done.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

The problem is the self-induced pressure when someone on the aircraft is dying. I know, just fly the same way as you normally would is the easy thing to say. I only did medevacs for a short period but sometimes you get a call just after going to bed for a long dark flight on an aircraft with no autopilot to some remote location with not a lot of fuel reserve.

Plus, who needs to be around people with TB, etc. My first medevac had a live patient for takeoff and a dead one on arrival. I can't say I miss it.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Been there. Done that. Have the t shirt. NEVER again.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Greetings all! I hope all is good. Been trying to find
more info about Fast Air but to no avail. Does anyone
As for basic info goes, does anyone know about FO
Pay scales and scheds? I heard, even on precious posts
In this forum that it's a great company with
Refurbished equipment. Was also wondering if there are
Possibilities for jumpseating? Thanks a lot! Safe flights!

FL7377
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL7377 »

esp803 wrote:
fish4life wrote:good to see a company spending some money upgrading a fleet
Yes!
Not even close!

It is good to see a company that invests in their equipment, I would rather fly with a 430/530 and an extra 10k in my pocket though.... I'm curious as to the pay, I'd like to believe that a Medevac captain on a beech would be in the area of 80-90k.

E
i think were assuming companies upgrade equipment like avionics to "make the pilots life easier".

In my experience the main reason to upgrade to a G1000 cockpit would be for ease of training, lower insurance rates, lower maintenance cost, less aircraft weight and to take advantage of the comming WAAS approaches. Why would the company care about lowering pilot workload, or making their pilots life easier? Out of the goodness of their heart? If its not profitable company's usually don't do it....

Word on the street is Fast Air medevac is 7/7 based up north, rotating south for days off, skippers bringing home about $70k/yr. After milage, per diems and everything included.....

Return to “Employment Forum”