Porter Opinions

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SteveWhite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Porter Opinions

Post by SteveWhite » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey Everyone,

I try to keep up with the news in this business, and know this has been posted before for many different airlines, but...

With all that's been going on at city hall with talks of expansion of the island etc. if you were to make an educated guess (without the crystal ball) do you think Porter will be around for a while and will pursue expansion...or do you see the company being sold off in the next few years.

I am from downtown Toronto and want to get home (I have been thinking of applying) but want to avoid jumping from one company to another if that's even possible.

Opinions?
---------- ADS -----------

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Porter Opinions

Post by sstaurus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:57 am

I myself wonder... and have held off applying for the same reason. If they don't expand, can they remain a niche player on the island (their only competitive advantage), charging peanuts for flights to Tbay or Ottawa? Where is the room for growth? Sure they have great service, but how long can that last? You have to take RD's word that they are making money...

And if they do expand, now there are 3 airlines in Canada, which everyone knows is too much. Hmmm... Which one is going to fall.

That being said, I've heard nothing but good about them as a place to work, and wish them the best. And if you do go there, maybe just don't plan on being able to retire there. All I'm saying is that they are in a tough position...

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:31 pm

With Canada Jetlines potentially starting up, the competition scale could be far worse.

BKerns
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BKerns » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:43 pm

I wonder if Porter will be sold once runway expansion goes through. Maybe jazz will put in a bid.

Fake it till you make it.

ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ettw » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:53 pm

Love their F/As!!

ETTW

1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators

checkremarks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by checkremarks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:56 pm

ettw wrote:Love their F/As!!

ETTW

+1

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"
"Why don't you knock it off with all them negative waves"

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:31 pm

I asked myself that question in 2008, and finally applied in 2009. I started two months later, upgraded to captain a little over 10 months later, and spent the next 4 years there and loved every minute of it. I chose to go overseas, hence the reason I left.

Take the info you have at hand currently, make a decision, and don't look back.

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:42 pm

I am currently flying as an FO with Porter, having joined in 2012. Great place to work, good group of people.

WRT City Hall, etc I think many people from within have all asked themselves what the future will hold. At this stage it really is a guessing game but I personally believe we will remain on our own. There are still options for more Q's so hopefully after the tunnel is completed and more slots open up we may see those options exercised.
The C Series will be certified and I have no trouble believing that it will meet/beat required noise levels for the Island. I guess it will the be up to the city to make the final decision on whether the extension of the runway and jets occur

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm

I didn't think Porter would still be around much longer after 2010, but they're still alive and doing great.

Who knows what the future holds for them.

tiscali
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tiscali » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:41 pm

Love it.very cozy place.seniority goes up fairly quckly.after couple of years you know everyone.jets? Possibly...just be positive

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:55 am

Krimson wrote:I didn't think Porter would still be around much longer after 2010, but they're still alive and doing great.

Who knows what the future holds for them.
Just curious, how do you define 'doing great'? As they are still privately held, no one sees any financial numbers.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Based on what we do see. Haven't been there in a while, but last time I was there their lounge was full, people are happy, loads seemed pretty full.
The fact that they are still around and have a lot of the same employees working for them must mean they're doing alright.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:22 pm

ETTW
You should hear what they said about you. :smt054
"Always keeps his tray table in the upright and locked position" comes to mind.

Personally, I love the service they offer. It's the most civilized domestic air travel around and a very polished product. The pilots that I know there seem to really like the work and are top notch drivers.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Is it true they paid out profit sharing for the last couple of years? If so, that's a pretty good indication that things aren't bad...

MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MartinB » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 am

checkremarks wrote:

ETTW

+1
+2

STH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by STH » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:02 am

KK7 wrote:Is it true they paid out profit sharing for the last couple of years? If so, that's a pretty good indication that things aren't bad...
Yup, they have.

Return to “Employment Forum”