Interesting job ads

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Interesting job ads

Post by rigpiggy »

Found it interesting that a certain middle Eastern airline was advertising here, two things #1. If you have jet time in Canada your probably already set on the retirement path. #2 if you don't have 500hrs in jets they don't want you. Maybe this is why Sunwing and Canjet won't hire Canadians.
---------- ADS -----------

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Interesting job ads

Post by HiLo »

rigpiggy wrote:Found it interesting that a certain middle Eastern airline was advertising here, two things #1. If you have jet time in Canada your probably already set on the retirement path. #2 if you don't have 500hrs in jets they don't want you. Maybe this is why Sunwing and Canjet won't hire Canadians.
The thing about the 500hrs jet (usually on a 737/320 or larger) is aimed at the Ryanair/Easyjet/etc... cadet pilots who want better (a relative term) WAWCON while working in "cosmopolitan Dubai." It sounds better that tossing bags for a year in Wabushbush, Nunavut (or Dornoch, Scotland, for all those Brits). The Emiratis (or Quataris, or Bangladeshis, or Sri Lankans...) just don't get it that Canada is different, that you're lucky to get a guy with Dash time (not to mention RJ or 'bus hours) to come live in a Web-censored nation.

They'd be better off trying to partner with Seneca.

newcanjeter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by newcanjeter »

I'm Canadian, got hired by CanJet and not going to Qatar. Thats probably why CanJet hires Canadians.

tiscali
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tiscali »

There are many pilots in Europe with lots of jet time...that is how they started their career after jaa licence.most of them got laid off or their compqny went under. With all their jet time they get the most paied jobs in the world. Here jn canada we count how many single piston we have, how many twin piaton, how many turbo prop pic and bla bla bla. Qatar will hire them vs hour pic turbopros gods.sure somenone will get hired but very few. Canada is a turboprop country not a jet one

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I'd take a guy with Navajo PIC time flying in the north vs somebody who's only flown right seat on a jet.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
tiscali
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tiscali »

Yep.im agree with you.but doesn't work like this in Europe or wherever there are operator 705 with heavy irons..they dont know what to do with a pic nqvajo guy as you say....with all due respect for the navajo pic guy and for the navajo itself

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Off topic but...

Woooo! I love the HO. My first command machine. Will always have a special place in my heart.

x15
Skin, Tin, Ticket...In that order.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

x15 wrote:Off topic but...

Woooo! I love the HO. My first command machine. Will always have a special place in my heart.
Kinda like the dodge caravan of the dude in the movie Hall Pass?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

You could have all the Navajo, KingAir or old Dash 8 time in the world but all those overseas operators are looking for is jet time. You're not so much a pilot anymore over there, rather a systems operator.

Let’s Go Brandon
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Here's why they want you to have 500 hours jet.

You go to the "MTRS" button, press it. It displays the numbers of nautical miles you should start your descent. You apply 1 mile for every 10 knots you anticipate slowing down, and apply 3 mile correction for each 10 knot component of tailwind / headwind. Then you compare this to the VNAV PATH descent generated by the VNAV Page 3 > LSK FORECAST with anticipated AI altitude and forecast winds, then you come up with a descent plan without using the "lever of shame."

Or you just anticipate how much slowdown is anticipated in your VNAV planning, and descend in such a fashion to stay underneath slope so you can actually slow down without using the "lever of shame"

Or you get a 737 NG type rating where the deceleration is all part of the VNAV PATH...

Or you just accept that descending into CYVR = reduced track miles almost all the time and the lever of shame will be used ...

Now you qualify to fly a jet. :lol:

In all seriousness... hire trainable individuals. How do you determine a trainable individual? Perhaps a few PPC's under their belt, some pic time, and a solid interview and people attesting to their abilities. What is funny though is that you can go over to Qatar and the likes with nothing but turboprop exp and be a Second Officer for 40k/yr start salary. Then you need something like 45 sectors or 6 months and some other arbitrary requirement to now qualify for the right seat.

Solution? Make some friends at Boeing and get a type rating. Then show them this post as proof that you are now exempt from the 500 hour jet requirement.

If a 250 hour wonder can fly an Air France A330, a 5000 hour Dash 8 guy should be able to qualify for a "non-rated A320 First Officer Position."

But what do I know... only rocket scientists can fly jets. At least in the middle east.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Inverted2 wrote:You could have all the Navajo, KingAir or old Dash 8 time in the world but all those overseas operators are looking for is jet time. You're not so much a pilot anymore over there, rather a systems operator.
+1

If you want to FLY a large jet, go to Africa or stick with the good old Ho'/King Air...

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

"Lever of Shame" lol learn a new one everyday going to start using that.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I thought "pulling the stick" was considered the best :p

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Lever of shame? Speed brakes?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Lever of shame? I thought it was the descent lever... because they use it on every single flight I go on.

Top of the clearance levels on every STAR on the way in... maybe even higher.... Stuka pilot descent... all the drinks and snacks hit the floor at 10,000... then they hit the roof at 250.... .... then the landing, which from seat 2C sounds like 'one hundred...... fifty....... fortythirtytwentytenWHAM!!!!' At least no masks fell out this time... :lol:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

:lol:

Return to “Employment Forum”