Transat

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rogerdodger2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Transat

Post by Rogerdodger2 »

"Transat values diversity in the workplace and is committed to employment equity by encouraging applications from the following designated groups: women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. To facilitate the reading of this document, the masculine form has been retained."

In other words, as long as you speak French we accept applicants from the following designated groups.

Sorry, just don't like Transat.

Stupid post eh?
Similar to the other equally stupid post from flyinhigh entitled, Sunwing.
---------- ADS -----------

tiscali
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Transat

Post by tiscali »

I guess this is what they have to post by law.then obviously they hire whoever they want.

DeltaHotel
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DeltaHotel »

This again ... ** yawwnn **

Chuck Finley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chuck Finley »

This is getting old... Lots of non-French speaking folks at Transat. Give it a shot you might like it!!

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Your just jealous. You wish you worked for one of the fastest growing most profitable companies in Canada
Your right, I'm sorry. :smt008
In other words, as long as you speak French we accept applicants from the following designated groups.
FYI, I got alot of friends at Transat that do not speak a lick of french. They are however endeavoring to learn the language.

jpar84
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jpar84 »

I don't understand people who complain about a company requiring a second language! This isn't discrimination people, this is a skill requirement that they are asking for. Your nationality, gender etc.... are traits you are born with, a language is a skill that can be acquired, there is a big difference!

The reason they prefer candidates to be bilingual in French and English is because many of their clients (passengers) are French speaking and you should be able to speak to your clients in their mother tongue to provide them with a proper service. On top of that it seems as though it isn't an absolute requirement as mentioned by previous posters.

To those who complain about this either take a lesson or don't apply. Its a bilingual country quit whining about it!

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

JPar84,

I was going to stay out of this one, but that has to be some of the dumbest justification for discrimination I've ever heard.

Let me ask you this, a type rating is a skill correct?
Sunwing says their future pilots must possess a type rating as a skill requirement., correct?
Transat employees cry foul of this "skill requirement" that must be paid for and completed as a condition by the employer in their eyes, correct?

Why can't Transat hire non French speaking and if they wish them to possess that skill, then train them on it after they are hired?

Unlike a type rating French language is not an occupational requirement. In fact, a reminder that the international language of aviation is English is in order, not French so yes, not hiring because they don't speak French is 100% discriminatory.

You want an equal playing field? Then make it an equal playing field!

BL

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

Transat hired me despite my lack of French language skills, and there are many like me here. Heck several of our more recent hires are Anglos just like me...

Apply you may just be surprised.

Big Bird Anonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Big Bird Anonymous »

When I worked in the arctic I don't recall having to speak Inuktitut or Dene (as a condition for hire), they are also official languages!! With all due respect.

Anti-antivaxxer
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Deleted : This thread is not worth my time

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiscali
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tiscali »

Majority of clients speak french? So let me understand a little better...when ts flies to Portugal, italy, Greece and whereever the majority of clients are still french? And if not, should I learn Portuguese, italian, Greek? Whould they be a skill requirements?

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

And you'll probably hear 'other' languages in their cockpit pretty soon... wait and see :smt008

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:
BverLuver wrote:JPar84,

I was going to stay out of this one, but that has to be some of the dumbest justification for discrimination I've ever heard.

Let me ask you this, a type rating is a skill correct?
Sunwing says their future pilots must possess a type rating as a skill requirement., correct?
Transat employees cry foul of this "skill requirement" that must be paid for and completed as a condition by the employer in their eyes, correct?

Why can't Transat hire non French speaking and if they wish them to possess that skill, then train them on it after they are hired?

Unlike a type rating French language is not an occupational requirement. In fact, a reminder that the international language of aviation is English is in order, not French so yes, not hiring because they don't speak French is 100% discriminatory.

You want an equal playing field? Then make it an equal playing field!

BL
If Transat used the lack of French skill to disqualify an otherwise qualified Canadian pilot to hire instead a TFW who did speak French, then that would be a valid and intelligent comparison. But they don't.
Mr. Hudicourt,

While I applaud your efforts regarding the TFW program, you are off base here. Disscrimination is discrimination no matter how you slice it. The francophones have been fighting this fight for years (suing AC because someone couldn't order 7up in French comes to mind?).

I reiterate, if you want an equal playing field, do your part to make it an EQUAL playing field, in ALL aspects of hiring practises. Set the example, not just where it is convenient.

BL

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

Gilles,

Let us turn this around and use your exact argument. Even if the ad stated 'French language as an asset', which I don't know the exact wording as I never saw the ad, why wouldn't this be construed a 'fake ad' since we know Transat has no intention of hiring non-bilingual candidates. Just as you assume Sunwing is putting out 'fake ads' because they ask for a type rating.

As the saying goes, proof is in the pudding, we shall see. I hope I'm wrong. Only hiring francophones or bilingual candidates is the same as only hiring TFW's in my books. Once again, a type rating is critical to the job of being a pilot, French language is not! It is discriminatory and equally illegal. I have more intimate knowledge of this subject than you might think. On this one, you are plain wrong!

BL

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

In many domains including aviation a French Canadian that speak little or no english is unemployable, most frenchies knows the importance of learning the english language. In comparison, most residents of the english speaking Canada think that learning french is useless, and if interested in learning a second way of expressing themselves it would probably be spanish or else. I think that what transat is doing is being done the other way around by the entire Canadian job market.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

Please stand-by for next financial report, available Sept 11...

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

rob-air wrote:In many domains including aviation a French Canadian that speak little or no english is unemployable, most frenchies knows the importance of learning the english language. In comparison, most residents of the english speaking Canada think that learning french is useless, and if interested in learning a second way of expressing themselves it would probably be spanish or else. I think that what transat is doing is being done the other way around by the entire Canadian job market.
Rob-air,

The English language is the language of aviation worldwide. It is mandatory to be able to speak English in aviation. French is neither the official language nor mandatory in aviation worldwide, so to discriminate because someone does not speak an non mandatory or unofficial (in aviation) language, is just that, discrimination. But, keep blaming the other guys for not following the laws and rules of hiring any qualified Canadians. My guess is language courses would be significantly cheaper than a type rating course.

BL

Return to “Employment Forum”