SkyRegional

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

SkyRegional

Post by learcapt »

Anyone hear of or get hired for an October course date?
---------- ADS -----------

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: SkyRegional

Post by leftoftrack »

Yup

learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by learcapt »

very good, so were you hired for the EMB then?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Not me, friend of mine has heard but it wouldn't be fair to him to be more specific, I can't imagine they are big enough to run more than one type of course at a time though

Hozer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hozer »

Was he hired as a Captain or F.O?

Tiessen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tiessen »

Anyone know what kind of time they're looking for for their FOs?

Chuck Finley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chuck Finley »

Better all of you than me!!!

Stem2Stern
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stem2Stern »

Don't apply to SkyRegional.

Doing so only exacerbates the current WAWCON issues being felt in this country's industry. STOP being shortsighted, and start realizing your individual impact on the industry. Seriously folks, smarten up. By accepting positions such as those offered at SkyRegional, Encore, etc., with incredibly poor pay scales and employment contract conditions, you're just allowing the problem to perpetuate. As a result, you're not just hurting your own career and future financial success, but that of those around you as well.

Look at the numbers: YOUR student loans, YOUR cost of living, YOUR money being saved for investing in real estate and for YOUR future, etc., are all areas of personal finance that you need to consider when looking at a potential employer. And don't take my word for it, go sit down with a financial advisor and go through the numbers. You'll surely see that the wages offered by these companies will not allow you the financial freedom that is the norm in this day and age.

I know it's not easy to pass up a position on a larger, faster aircraft, but seriously, do yourself a favour and say NO. But don't stop there. Tell them the reason why you cannot accept the position: "Your wages are far too low for the level of education and experience that I have earned, as well as the current cost of living in today's society." These companies WILL increase their wages if this happens. Guaranteed.

This is what keeps being referred to as "pilots being their own worst enemy". It's a VERY real thing, and we all have the ability and the responsibility to ourselves, our dependents, and our colleagues to make these changes - by saying NO to poor wage and working conditions. YOU ALL CAN DO BETTER, AND YOU WILL IF YOU STAND UP FOR YOURSELVES. Short-term pain in this will lead to long-term gain, not just for you, but for everyone in the industry.

Best,

S2S

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Perhaps you'd like to share where you work S2S? Just so we may be sure you're not throwing stones from a glass house.

KK7
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KK7 »

Stem2Stern wrote:Don't apply to SkyRegional.

Doing so only exacerbates the current WAWCON issues being felt in this country's industry. STOP being shortsighted, and start realizing your individual impact on the industry. Seriously folks, smarten up. By accepting positions such as those offered at SkyRegional, Encore, etc., with incredibly poor pay scales and employment contract conditions, you're just allowing the problem to perpetuate. As a result, you're not just hurting your own career and future financial success, but that of those around you as well.

Look at the numbers: YOUR student loans, YOUR cost of living, YOUR money being saved for investing in real estate and for YOUR future, etc., are all areas of personal finance that you need to consider when looking at a potential employer. And don't take my word for it, go sit down with a financial advisor and go through the numbers. You'll surely see that the wages offered by these companies will not allow you the financial freedom that is the norm in this day and age.

I know it's not easy to pass up a position on a larger, faster aircraft, but seriously, do yourself a favour and say NO. But don't stop there. Tell them the reason why you cannot accept the position: "Your wages are far too low for the level of education and experience that I have earned, as well as the current cost of living in today's society." These companies WILL increase their wages if this happens. Guaranteed.

This is what keeps being referred to as "pilots being their own worst enemy". It's a VERY real thing, and we all have the ability and the responsibility to ourselves, our dependents, and our colleagues to make these changes - by saying NO to poor wage and working conditions. YOU ALL CAN DO BETTER, AND YOU WILL IF YOU STAND UP FOR YOURSELVES. Short-term pain in this will lead to long-term gain, not just for you, but for everyone in the industry.

Best,

S2S
In principle I agree.

However it's easy to spew all of this from the comfort of your well paying job.

At the end of the day when a candidate is already in a situation of worse pay, worse flying conditions working for a sketchy operator, the person will look at what is best for them and their family. In many cases what is being offered by these companies is better than what they have. Often these options will be the best available at the time when the other option is to be unemployed or work a very unpleasant job.

It's not up to the less experienced folk looking for jobs to fix the problem, it's up to the experienced folk in their comfortable jobs to fight to make the industry a better place for those who are just entering it. All too often I see the high and mighty criticize the new guys for accepting the limited options they have available to them, meanwhile those high and mighty are just revelling about how they made it through to where they are now and enjoy a great and wonderful life. How about you go to management and fight for better pay for those who are unable to fight?

D for Delux
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by D for Delux »

In principle I agree.

However it's easy to spew all of this from the comfort of your well paying job.

At the end of the day when a candidate is already in a situation of worse pay, worse flying conditions working for a sketchy operator, the person will look at what is best for them and their family. In many cases what is being offered by these companies is better than what they have. Often these options will be the best available at the time when the other option is to be unemployed or work a very unpleasant job.

It's not up to the less experienced folk looking for jobs to fix the problem, it's up to the experienced folk in their comfortable jobs to fight to make the industry a better place for those who are just entering it. All too often I see the high and mighty criticize the new guys for accepting the limited options they have available to them, meanwhile those high and mighty are just revelling about how they made it through to where they are now and enjoy a great and wonderful life. How about you go to management and fight for better pay for those who are unable to fight?[/quote]

Indeed.
If you are getting EVAS'd day in and day out, Shy could be valuable option.
Get away from ex CP / not quite DFO, and get into a 705 machine.
Killing two birds at once.
However.....I'm lucky enough to be respected at my airline. I don't EVAS'd. Therefore, unless the payscale improves significantly, my CV won't land at Sky!
A tall pile of resumes tells them they're doing it right!

DFD

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

KK7 wrote:
It's not up to the less experienced folk looking for jobs to fix the problem, it's up to the experienced folk in their comfortable jobs to fight to make the industry a better place for those who are just entering it.
We did. Now it is your turn. Enough excuses.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Del.

Last edited by timel on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

rudder wrote:
KK7 wrote:
It's not up to the less experienced folk looking for jobs to fix the problem, it's up to the experienced folk in their comfortable jobs to fight to make the industry a better place for those who are just entering it.
We did. Now it is your turn. Enough excuses.
Please please please tell me you work at WJ.

:roll:

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

I guess you guys haven't been paying attention to the other threads? Sky got a new 6 year payscale that's almost as good as Jazz's first 6 years. What more do you want? Oh and pleasant surprise for us, it was effective immediately as of August 1st and not Jan 1 2015. I suggest you turn your "low wage" finger pointing somewhere else. Time to move on.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

Does anyone have any info they could PM me about the current working conditions, pay scale and the possibility of an upgrade?

Thanks

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

From other posts on avcanada, what I have in my notes.

Sky regional 01/august/2014 - NEW

So we got our new pay scale announcement last night. It's like the most convoluted pay structure I've seen so I'll just break it down for you. We still have base salaries plus an hourly credit. Credit doubles and triples depending on your block hours over 80 or over 85. Over 90hrs is still overtime rate of 1.5 times your full salary plus credit.

Introduced a RRSP match up to 5% over 6 years.

Basically on your anniversary date you get a 2% raise.
On Jan 1st if each year you get a inflation increase based on the CPI to a max of 1.5%

We still have a 5% guaranteed profit share portion.
Now also get up to 2.5% OTP incentive bonus.

All that being said they I'll break it down for you with all the above minus the pension cuz that shouldn't be considered salary.

Based on 85hrs a month...

Yr1 Cpt: $82481. Yr1 FO: $49724
Yr2 Cpt: $85183. Yr2 FO: $51350
Yr3 Cpt: $87296. Yr3 FO: $52624
Yr4 Cpt: $89460. Yr4 FO: $53928
Yr5 Cpt: $91676. Yr5 FO: $55264
Yr6 Cpt: $93509. Yr6 FO: $56369

After 6 yrs we just get the CPI increases. We'll have to work on that later.

Those are the facts. Just the facts. Once again those numbers are based on 85hrs a month and include everything except per diems (duh!) and pension.

Min guaranteed 65 hrs

Guaranteed 65 hrs 1 y. FO = 38k, my calculation.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Rumour has it you have to stick around at Sky for at least 2 years before even thinking about getting a call from mainline when hiring resumes, any truth to that? Apparently the same type of issues the Jazz guys used to run into a while back..

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Anyone know what the hiring requirments are at Sky? Their website gives no details.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

So what does the future look like for SKV, now that the new Jazz Cpa deal is in play?

Been quiet on the hiring front with them as well, have things settled down with their operation?

Gravity always wins

Return to “Employment Forum”