WJ encore and the regionals

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rocket81
Rank 2
Rank 2

WJ encore and the regionals

Post by rocket81 »

Heard they are doing interviews soon.

Let's say you are around 3000 hours, flying twin turboprops, left seat for around 50k in a 703-704, and WJ Encore is proposing a FO seat for 36k?

You know you won't go way over 50k at your current job but 36k is a violent drop in salary.

If you get a job at Jazz or Sky, it isn't that much of a drop.
But you know you are stuck on a right seat at Jazz for a long time. Skyreg I don't know.

I know some folks who went straigh at AC or other big 705 without going into the regionals.
Guess those opportunities wont be happening so much anymore.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: WJ encore and the regionals

Post by boeingboy »

Yea - initally it sucks, but look at the big picture.

The same thing was said about Westjet. Now - we all look to those guys who started with them and say "you lucky bastards - I wish I was there at the beginning."
They are all floating in money, and they make really good pay now. They were laughing all the way to the bank. The time to get into a company is on the ground floor.

cpt.sam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cpt.sam »

Take a step back.
the BASE salary is 36 or 38k, whatever.
However, that's BASE.
If you choose reserve, and pass every chance to fly, you will be remunerated with 36k ish.
If you bid for productive pairings, and take more flights, you will earn more. (plus more per diem)
I do not appreciate the low low low starting salary for many FO positions in Canada these days, however, this is not the worst place to be.
Q400 - 737NG - wide body
There is amazing potential
Its like any business really, you have to spend money (take lower salary temporarily) to make more money (build up to senior salary and bigger equipment!)
If you get comfy making 50k, and don't sacrifice for a year or two, you will be at 50k ish for a loooong time.
bite the bullett now!

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Marinth »

boeingboy wrote:Yea - initally it sucks, but look at the big picture.

The same thing was said about Westjet. Now - we all look to those guys who started with them and say "you lucky bastards - I wish I was there at the beginning."
They are all floating in money, and they make really good pay now. They were laughing all the way to the bank. The time to get into a company is on the ground floor.
Encore is in no way the same as WestJet when it first started. When WestJet started they were compensating for their brutal wages by giving away stupid amounts of stocks. Encore is privy to a 10% ESP match. That's why the guys who went to WestJet when it started made out like bandits. This will not happen to the Encore guys. The best thing they can expect is a nice paycut to join the big leagues.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

As much as I like working at WJ, I think WJE is a stepping stone to AC, just like Jazz was a stepping stone to WJ. At least at WJE there is some semblance of a guarantee to WJ, I think if you're at WJE, AC will call before WJ does. Go to whoever offers you the best money/lifestyle at the time.

rocket81
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocket81 »

I am not sure I would be able to take a 15k pay cut.

I agree with what Marinth said, at WJE there are no reasons why I should accept wages that are well below market prices for an extra 2 years, who knows maybe more?

What are the opportunities of advancement at WJ Encore to left seat and to WJ?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Bede wrote:As much as I like working at WJ, I think WJE is a stepping stone to AC, just like Jazz was a stepping stone to WJ. At least at WJE there is some semblance of a guarantee to WJ, I think if you're at WJE, AC will call before WJ does. Go to whoever offers you the best money/lifestyle at the time.
Agreed. Sad part is that WJ/WJE could have been so much better.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Welcome to aviation - where you take a brutal paycut to get ahead!

Just as WJ was gladly taking people from Jazz about 5 years back, thus dealing the competition a good kick in the stones; I'm sure that, as Bede says, AC would be delighted to offer you a job from Encore - thus returning the kick..

[Gotta love business, eh?!]

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I hope it doesn't become a situation where the standard 703/704 interview question becomes Encore's interview question.

So if Air Canada calls, what will you do?

Or better yet - a bond gets instilled at Encore.
But you know you are stuck on a right seat at Jazz for a long time. Skyreg I don't know.
It's no longer a 6 month wait in the right seat at Encore in order to upgrade. You have to meet their matrix in order to upgrade; however long that will take. I assume they are hiring based on the criteria that you meet the matrix and can upgrade in short order. So a 3000 hour B1900 Captain going to Encore may have to see themselves in the right seat for quite sometime before the left seat becomes a viable option, at least according to this matrix...
Hi Guys,
The reason for the direct entry posting is because the upgrades are now faster than planned. Basically upgrade assessments are taking place in initial training and many guys and gals simply aren’t ready.

As part of the risk assessment that was done - an internal matrix is now in place before you can upgrade:

Total Time / DHC-8-400 or similar Transport Category Aircraft *
4500 / 500
4000 / 500
3500 / 750
3000 / 1000
2500 / 1250
2000 / 1500

To answer the questions, the way I understand it - basically you need 4500 hrs and 500 pic hrs and 500 hrs on (similar 705 time -saab/dhc8 1/3/4/ATR42 etc...) FOR THE DIRECT ENTRY
As general interest and to answer some; there is more clarity coming on the flow/date of hire ;) and some other nice improvements. Standby for that - details will be out very soon! I’ve been away the last few days so I’ll pass along the latest when I get the info.

Take care,
Dave

rocket81
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocket81 »

Direct entry left seat
loopa wrote:
4500 / 500
4000 / 500
3500 / 750
3000 / 1000
Hey guys thanks for taking time to share those informations.

Let's say you get hired at 3000 hours including 1000 hours multi PIC in 703-704 ops.

After one year or two you will be at least : 4000 hours / 1000 hours right seat on DHC-8-400?
Not enough to get a left seat?

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I think you would... I can't see how you wouldn't in a rapidly growing company like Encore and a matrix as the above.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

rocket81 wrote:Direct entry left seat
loopa wrote:
4500 / 500
4000 / 500
3500 / 750
3000 / 1000
Hey guys thanks for taking time to share those informations.

Let's say you get hired at 3000 hours including 1000 hours multi PIC in 703-704 ops.

After one year or two you will be at least : 4000 hours / 1000 hours right seat on DHC-8-400?
Not enough to get a left seat?
I don't think you're reading the chart correctly. With 4000 hours, you would only require 500 hours on a DHC-8-400 or similar Transport Category aircraft. If you start with 3000 TT, you could even upgrade at 3750, because you would be above the threshold of 3500 and 750.

racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by racer-pilot-rob »

Think the bigger question is, are they going to start hiring at all?
If things don't start moving in a much grander scale, then nobody struggling to move up or get hours will find anyone to take them. There are so many waiting to get on with twice and 3 times the required hours and still waiting with a "application is in progress". These people have to be taken in and move up to open it up for ones just hovering at the edge of requirements.

I have almost 3 times what they are asking for, and I know of a few others with more than myself still waiting as well.....

The industry needs to turn on the hiring vacuum to get more onboard. After all, are they not telling us there is a pilot shortage??

rocket81
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocket81 »

Diadem, thank you.

RPR, some have received dates for interviews at WJE.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

racer-pilot-rob wrote:Think the bigger question is, are they going to start hiring at all?
If things don't start moving in a much grander scale, then nobody struggling to move up or get hours will find anyone to take them. There are so many waiting to get on with twice and 3 times the required hours and still waiting with a "application is in progress". These people have to be taken in and move up to open it up for ones just hovering at the edge of requirements.

I have almost 3 times what they are asking for, and I know of a few others with more than myself still waiting as well.....

The industry needs to turn on the hiring vacuum to get more onboard. After all, are they not telling us there is a pilot shortage??
If who starts hiring? Both WJ and Encore have been....

racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

That's just what we need. You made me jump and look at my emails lol.

Special K
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Special K »

Does anyone know if Encore allows you to commute to your base?

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

Special K wrote:Does anyone know if Encore allows you to commute to your base?
Many do the commute, it's definitely possible!

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

racer-pilot-rob wrote:That's just what we need. You made me jump and look at my emails lol.
:lol: can we hire him?!

I feel like I'd enjoy a pairing with you :supz:

racer-pilot-rob
Rank 1
Rank 1

you just might, I have been waiting for this job to come up for a while...
Who knows, maybe we have flown together and joked together (ahem off duty, yup, that's it, off duty) before...

Think so many are anxious for the good life, just like they promised us back in the '60s tv shows hahaha. women on each arm flying for big big money..... Ok, not so realistic, even back then haha, but great to dream.

Return to “Employment Forum”